Jags V Subsea Utd

Aberdeenjag

5 hours ago, Emsca said:

I notice you avoided answering re your attendance at Firhill by using the old technique of answering a question with a question. In my view it is relevant because you are probably the most ardent exponent of wanting the manger sacked at every poor result and yet you seldom attend games.  I appreciate you can view games via other mediums. Call me old fashioned but I think a supporter is someone who pays their ticket money and watches their team live.

Anyway you bash on.

So I am not a supporter because I live in Warrington and would have difficulty getting to Glasgow regularly. Interesting view especially with a Nomads group 

2 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

What’s the point on various players signed by every manager we’ve ever had.

Coulinbaly 

Roger Eli

Dowds

Lyons we signed from Montrose

Some players are signed to improve squad and end up regular starts, others don’t and you don’t see them.

Well scrap Alston and put his wage towards of a player who might start and  be a better quality player ?! I mean we have. 34 midfielders !

6 hours ago, Emsca said:

I notice you avoided answering re your attendance at Firhill by using the old technique of answering a question with a question. In my view it is relevant because you are probably the most ardent exponent of wanting the manger sacked at every poor result and yet you seldom attend games.  I appreciate you can view games via other mediums. Call me old fashioned but I think a supporter is someone who pays their ticket money and watches their team live.

Anyway you bash on.

Am I less of a supporter as I live in Norway and get to about half a dozen games in person a season?

I have a season ticket, a streaming season ticket, centenary fund, Jags Foundation member and Jags trust member too.

Being not able to attend a game due to location does not stop you being a supporter 

1 minute ago, Norgethistle said:

Am I less of a supporter as I live in Norway and get to about half a dozen games in person a season?

I have a season ticket, a streaming season ticket, centenary fund, Jags Foundation member and Jags trust member too.

Being not able to attend a game due to location does not stop you being a supporter 

You work hard and support the club.  Another poster is constantly negative and seems to support the club in a minimal way.

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

So I am not a supporter because I live in Warrington and would have difficulty getting to Glasgow regularly. Interesting view especially with a Nomads group 

No not at all - that is not my point .

My point is the other poster takes every opportunity to decry the team , the manager and the club generally - whilst not attending games .

I fully appreciate we have fans worldwide many of whom can only attend games in person infrequently .

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

We started late due to playoffs and were also impacted due to our financial situation. 

Very true mate.  I still think though some of the 2 year deals awarded to Robinson, Williams etc were too generous though.

1 year for Robinson to see if he was injury free then extend it if necessary 

1 year to Williams who let’s face it is completely unknown and not played in the Scottish leagues before to see if he could cut it would have been enough and if he did then we could have extended.

A few others like Alston, McDonald etc have been disappointing as well 

13 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Very true mate.  I still think though some of the 2 year deals awarded to Robinson, Williams etc were too generous though.

1 year for Robinson to see if he was injury free then extend it if necessary 

1 year to Williams who let’s face it is completely unknown and not played in the Scottish leagues before to see if he could cut it would have been enough and if he did then we could have extended.

A few others like Alston, McDonald etc have been disappointing as well 

They may not have signed if only offered 1 year, as someone else may have offered two. We don’t know mate, but we were behind the 8ball in terms of time and finances.

It’s always a gamble on new signings, close season after top 6 looked like we had a great squad on paper, then got relegated. 
We’ve signed unknowns (Doolan, Erskine) who’ve been a godsend.

Weve played great and crap and everything in between this season, but apart from Dundee Utd so have everyone else. It’s only a quarter in, and I reckon we’ll still be top4 by May 

• Like 1

I know we are all in shock after Saturdays poor result v Dundee Utd and we want big improvements across a number of areas, for example, new signings, team and management performance and an expression of the medium to long term plans for the club. The facts are that there still appears to be control issues at senior levels of the club, we have a new young, inexperienced but promising manager and a team whose performances have been inconsistent and well below the levels of last season.

However we not only lost our 4 best players, all brought to the club by Ian McCall, but 4 of the best players in the Championship. We were never going to be able, with our financial issues, to replace like with like.

What I will say is that, although thrown into the deep end, by the play-off games Doolan had the team playing the best football I have seen from a Jags team in years including the first 70 minutes at Ross County where we were cheated out of a promotion to the SPL..

We should get behind the team and cut Doolan some slack. If he demonstrates that he is not learning from his mistakes, eg the change of formation v Raith and perhaps the failures to make changes earlier on Saturday then with his undoubted potential in mind we should bring in an experienced/older coach to mentor him before we consider any other option.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

This mythical older, experienced director of football. I assume he or she doesn’t come free, so with our limited budget, what do we need more ? A director of football or a defensive midfielder. I assume we don’t have the finances for both 

Really Dick! Surely with 500k we recently got we can afford a Director of Football, a national spread of top scouts, a massive splurge in January and new 5 year contracts foe everybody, but 10 for Bannigan.

13 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I plead guilty to not going to Firhill., because I live in Aberdeen and work about 90% of weekends, while the other 10% I chose to spend with friends and family. So, Iam NOT a supporter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

I plead guilty to not going to Firhill., because I live in Aberdeen and work about 90% of weekends, while the other 10% I chose to spend with friends and family. So, Iam NOT a supporter. 

Biggest thing for me GRE is the criticism of a game you’ve haven’t watched and any time we’ve got beaten the manager is out his depth etc

Doolan is a young manager learning his trade and he has/will make mistakes along the way , he should be given time to progress the Club , if it doesn’t work out so be it .

People in football know he’s a fantastic coach and hopefully that translates onto being a good, progressive Manager.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

Biggest thing for me GRE is the criticism of a game you’ve haven’t watched and any time we’ve got beaten the manager is out his depth etc

Doolan is a young manager learning his trade and he has/will make mistakes along the way , he should be given time to progress the Club , if it doesn’t work out so be it .

People in football know he’s a fantastic coach and hopefully that translates onto being a good, progressive Manager.

Exactly .

10 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

This mythical older, experienced director of football. I assume he or she doesn’t come free, so with our limited budget, what do we need more ? A director of football or a defensive midfielder. I assume we don’t have the finances for both 

I meant to mention that Doolan's  has also repeated a mistake made by  Caldwell - signing a plethora of midfielders of a similar type! 

In spite of all these signed midfielders we still need, as a previous poster suggested " a right dirty hard man and a defensive midfielder"!

Given the choice I would go for the Director of Footbal - if that's the title you choose to use to:

a) help Doolan rebalance the squad, especially the mix and numbers of midfielders and,

b) when funds become available, sign players of the calibre of Turner, Tiffoney, Holt and Docherty. I would start with Easton of Raith to replace Turner.

23 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

I meant to mention that Doolan's  has also repeated a mistake made by  Caldwell - signing a plethora of midfielders of a similar type! 

In spite of all these signed midfielders we still need, as a previous poster suggested " a right dirty hard man and a defensive midfielder"!

Given the choice I would go for the Director of Footbal - if that's the title you choose to use to:

a) help Doolan rebalance the squad, especially the mix and numbers of midfielders and,

b) when funds become available, sign players of the calibre of Turner, Tiffoney, Holt and Docherty. I would start with Easton of Raith to replace Turner.

a) How if there's no money?

b) If no funds become availble do we then sack this person who we've employed to sign these players we can't bcause there's no money?