January Transfer Window

JAG1970

7 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Am I right in thinking he was injured?

If so, I wonder if it's a bad one.

Yes, it was. This is a standard contractual release though.

The old retained/released list.

Iirc Tomi wasn't very popular down at Swindon. 

I wouldn't mind seeing him at Firhill next season but that depends on what league we're in. And in general this is a downside to these extended (possibly) play offs. Players at our current level tend to value security and any protracted delay is undermining. Clubs like Dunfermline, Ayr, Morton will have already joined Falkirk in preparation for next season. 

31 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I wouldn't mind seeing him at Firhill next season but that depends on what league we're in. And in general this is a downside to these extended (possibly) play offs. Players at our current level tend to value security and any protracted delay is undermining. Clubs like Dunfermline, Ayr, Morton will have already joined Falkirk in preparation for next season. 

Queen’s Park as well now they have secured status too and with Haughey throwing more money will no doubt have a big shopping list of players to purchase 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Queen’s Park as well now they have secured status too and with Haughey throwing more money will no doubt have a big shopping list of players to purchase 

Messi, Ronaldo & M’Bappe ?

Spare a thought for fellow Covid scandal victims Stranraer, who finished bottom of League 2 today. Thistle and Hearts were able to regain their former status in the season following the disgraceful decision to end the season early four years ago. Not so Stranraer, whose relegation to League 2 meant they were likely to be at risk of losing their league status. Clyde looked like finishing bottom for much of the season, but they were able to find the money to employ Ian McCall, who knows a thing or two about Covid victims, and to make some important signings in January. Not an option for Stranraer, who now face a play-off against East Kilbride, fresh from avoiding a bruising play-off with Highland League champions Buckie Thistle, as a result of another controversial decision.

2 hours ago, Sivad said:

Spare a thought for fellow Covid scandal victims Stranraer, who finished bottom of League 2 today. Thistle and Hearts were able to regain their former status in the season following the disgraceful decision to end the season early four years ago. Not so Stranraer, whose relegation to League 2 meant they were likely to be at risk of losing their league status. Clyde looked like finishing bottom for much of the season, but they were able to find the money to employ Ian McCall, who knows a thing or two about Covid victims, and to make some important signings in January. Not an option for Stranraer, who now face a play-off against East Kilbride, fresh from avoiding a bruising play-off with Highland League champions Buckie Thistle, as a result of another controversial decision.

From what I'm told, EK are pretty good - they skooshed the Lowland League at any rate.  So poor old Stranny right enough.

12 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I think this a significant drawback of getting in to the playoffs. Once again we'll be playing player recruitment catch-up. Not just because of the uncertainty but also because the management team will rightly be focused on other things.

As for Tomi - he's a great option to have around. I'd be happy see him sign.

Assuming Hamilton win the Championship Play-off at the expense of ICT (which I frankly doubt) - then the Championship next season will be a very geographically compact division (assuming we are still in it of course, which I suspect we will). Furthest away trip could be the Raith Rovers (again assuming they don't go up) and the longest distance between any 2 places will be between Ayr and Kirkcaldy.

Truly the "Lowland League" or given that that title is taken perhaps the League could be renamed the "Central Belt Championship".

12 hours ago, Albert's Ghost said:

From what I'm told, EK are pretty good - they skooshed the Lowland League at any rate.  So poor old Stranny right enough.

Best of luck to Stranraer but I fear for them.

I'm all for opening the leagues up thru a pyramid structure. Far too long the Senior Leagues (circa 40 clubs) operated a closed shop. But what I find sad in a way is that long established clubs like Albion Rovers, East Stirlingshire, Berwick & Cowdenbeath don't appear to be able to bounce back. In fact they tend to find their level in the bottom half of the 5th tier.  I don't know if that's just coincidence or a flaw in the system. If it's the latter it's worrying, as that means one bad season in League Two could effectively spell the end of the unfortune club's "senior" existence.

If it's the monetary side of things that's too crippling to a club dropping out of League Two, then perhaps a parachute payment would give that club a chance to operate on a level playing field so to speak. If such a payment exists then maybe it needs increasing.

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Best of luck to Stranraer but I fear for them.

I'm all for opening the leagues up thru a pyramid structure. Far too long the Senior Leagues (circa 40 clubs) operated a closed shop. But what I find sad in a way is that long established clubs like Albion Rovers, East Stirlingshire, Berwick & Cowdenbeath don't appear to be able to bounce back. In fact they tend to find their level in the bottom half of the 5th tier.  I don't know if that's just coincidence or a flaw in the system. If it's the latter it's worrying, as that means one bad season in League Two could effectively spell the end of the unfortune club's "senior" existence.

If it's the monetary side of things that's too crippling to a club dropping out of League Two, then perhaps a parachute payment would give that club a chance to operate on a level playing field so to speak. If such a payment exists then maybe it needs increasing.

What you say about non-bouncebackability certainly applies to those who have dropped into the Lowland League, and of course Stranraer fit that category (if such comes to pass).

Brechin City have made a decent fist of trying to bounce back from the Highland League and have come close two years in a row. Ironic that they were trying to bend/flex the rules to be put into the Lowland League rather than the Highland League!

7 minutes ago, King Kenny said:

Robbie Crawford linked to a return to us. 

Can't say I'm overly thrilled at that one. 

To be fair to him he has done well at Morton and he was rarely played in his preferred position when at Firhill. 

I think that I would join you in the not overly thrilled camp. Yet another central midfielder? 

13 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

I think that I would join you in the not overly thrilled camp. Yet another central midfielder? 

I'd certainly take him over Alston.

Good to see the club making moves early doors though.

A player Morton would have liked to have kept and possibly a few other full time teams would have been interested.

Just don't play him out wide, please.

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

I'd certainly take him over Alston.

Good to see the club making moves early doors though.

A player Morton would have liked to have kept and possibly a few other full time teams would have been interested.

Just don't play him out wide, please.

My Morton supporting pal rates him highly.

Not sure Crawford would cut it in the Premiership. Tongue in cheek maybe, but I'm uncertain how we can be offering terms when we don't know what division we'll be in. I can see some players dropping down to being considered squad players if we were to go up. These players tho' would be regular starters in our current division. Certainly Crawford currently qualifies at that level. Again even putting our unknown league status aside,  I'm wondering whether signing a central midfielder is that much of a priority

I thought Crawford was for us. Always thought he was held back by McCall playing him as right winger (Although when the alternative was Cammy Smith who could blame him?)

However I think he was held back even more, as was Turner, by McCall's insistence that it was Crawford or Turner to take the third midfield berth alongside Bannigan and Docherty. I would have liked to see how Crawford, Turner and Docherty got on.

Maybe not impossible we see Crawford and Turner next season?

Heard a rumour we were in for Oakley at Morton as well. No idea how real that is but I'm sure our pals from Greenock will love the idea that we could take their 2 best players.

• Like 1