I hate to tempt fate by starting a thread, but it's DUFC the morra

10 minutes ago, CotterJag said:

Fitzpatrick might blow hot and cold but that's the nature of that style of player, rather than fitness or a lack of trying.

I think we would be less of a team without him.

Spot on. Fitzpatrick is a typical winger (wide player) whose form can peak and dip game to game. Even within a single game. My hero, Big Denis was anything but consistent. Anyone thinking otherwise has a very selective memory. It's Wee Stevie who is the freak. Lawless's consistency is surprisingly good for a widey. 

Seems to me that Fitzpatrick has improved his defensive game by a margin (1st goal v Fake Thistle apart).

I like what Doolan has done with this player - he's got him enjoying playing football again, something that McCall manifestly failed to do last season. He wants the ball now and seems much more willing to dig for it too in defensive areas of the field.

And when Aidan puts the afterburners on - he's our very own Duhan van der Merwe.

• Like 1

As folk have already mentioned, that was much better today, even though we didn't win the game. All of the guys who came in played well, and for most of the time (sat back a bit more in the 2nd half) the midfielders were constantly harassing the opposition and giving them problems. Our two shots from outside the box were screamers, and it's just a shame that they were slightly off target. Mitchell was excellent, with a terrific one-handed save on the line in the first half especially noteworthy. Williams looked good in central defence; that's where he should be, not at right back. 

Keep plugging away, Jags! I know it's only one game since our defence's total collapses in the past few weeks, but on yesterday's performance we've reformed for the better.

w2111

5 hours ago, MarciaBlaine said:

I agree. He got a bit more frustrating in a few moments as the game went on, but was fairly even handed and it made for an enjoyable contest.

Don't get me wrong, I was on my feet several times throughout the game, complaing about what the ref had missed and how the last 4 decisions had all gone against us.

But he allowed the game to be played. So many don't. I'd have that every week and don't get me started on VAR. Referees will make mistakes. As long as they're honest I think we have to accept it.

2 hours ago, allyo said:

......and don't get me started on VAR. Referees will make mistakes. As long as they're honest I think we have to accept it.

There are too many cases of VAR decisions that cannot be simply be classified as mistakes, and so the motives behind those decisions need to be questioned. We've already suffered such a case (Dingwall), and for another, look at the decision to award a penalty yesterday at Ibrox. (Guess which team got the penalty!)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, partickthedog said:

We have statistics for "Expected Goals", which I never understand, but does anyone produce statistics for XJH or "Expected Jumping Height"?

Surely Scott Robinson must exceed every XJH metric with his spring-heeled leaps?!

Lewis could watch and learn.

I have detested Dundee United for years. We should actually respect this mob for European success and consistently beating the Uglies.

However since then they have become a nasty, greedy, needy, negative, non footballing bunch of thugs. Docherty fits in well with Gallagher, Moult, Watt, Sibbald. They were constantly in the face of a weak kneed ref. (I’m sure I lip read the ref’s discussion with Fitz at the end. Fitz’ It came off their defender’ Ref ‘Yes I know’!).

Moult in particular is the epitome of a player well past his peak who relies on the dark arts. He fouled Williams constantly throughout and abused the ref several times. He should have been off. 

Williams had an excellent match but he’s far too nice. He could learn from some grizzled CB’s that he needs to give opponents the fear. I’d rather see a snarl than a smile. Gallagher is just a thug but I wouldn’t fancy playing against him. Moult should have been sorted!

I'm sure I saw somewhere that after Saturday's draw we're now bottom of the "last six matches" table. Should normally be a serious cause for concern but I came away from Firhill relatively pleased with both result and performance. Renewed confidence even. 

I think the change to a more cautious line up won't affect our attacking play too much. It does tho' mean the four advanced players (and any forward replacements) will all have to be on their game. Doolan will have to be sharp in assessment re subbing forwards.

In a way other results don't matter that much. We have to qualify for the play offs under our own steam to have any chance of promotion. If just reaching the play offs is seen as an achievement in itself then of course results elsewhere can make a difference. if we only qualify for them by results from teams below us cancelling each other out, then realistically we're not got much of a chance progressing.

Any club getting promoted thru the play offs, especially from 3rd or 4th place, will have needed to go into them on the back of good results and be on top of their game. If starting off from 3rd place we can't qualify off our own back from here on in, we'll more than likely be going nowhere.

32 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

In a way other results don't matter that much. We have to qualify for the play offs under our own steam to have any chance of promotion. If just reaching the play offs is seen as an achievement in itself then of course results elsewhere can make a difference. if we only qualify for them by results from teams below us cancelling each other out, then realistically we're not got much of a chance progressing.

Any club getting promoted thru the play offs, especially from 3rd or 4th place, will have needed to go into them on the back of good results and be on top of their game. If starting off from 3rd place we can't qualify off our own back from here on in, we'll more than likely be going nowhere.

I think pretty much every result matters in such a wee league. I think that’s 3 games that Morton have had the chance to go above us and failed.  After our form in the playoffs last season, it is hard to see how a team finishing 3rd/4th gets promoted.

59 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I think pretty much every result matters in such a wee league. I think that’s 3 games that Morton have had the chance to go above us and failed.  After our form in the playoffs last season, it is hard to see how a team finishing 3rd/4th gets promoted.

True. We played exceptionally well in the play offs, certainly continuing the momentum built up prior. The play offs are stacked (I believe rightly) against the 3rd/4th club gaining promotion. My point is that results between clubs below us should be largely academic if we've any chance of progressing. 

• Like 1