Utd v jags

1 hour ago, thornwoodjag said:

Stewart, McKenzie,, McBeth, O’Rielly, Ngwenya, Stanway, Banzo, Alston, Mcinroy, Diack, Loney
What a team 😂

Steady, we're only 10 goals better off in GD. :whistling:

If this team ever walked onto a football field, say Tannadice on a Friday night, my first though would be - thank heavens Queens Park are still involved in a relegation battle with Inverness!

Realistically we need to field a team that can keep the score down to 4-0 and hope that QP deliver the tight game and result I expect v Airdrie on Saturday.

How is that for a positive outlook?

27 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

If this team ever walked onto a football field, say Tannadice on a Friday night, my first though would be - thank heavens Queens Park are still involved in a relegation battle with Inverness!

Realistically we need to field a team that can keep the score down to 4-0 and hope that QP deliver the tight game and result I expect v Airdrie on Saturday.

How is that for a positive outlook?

All the games are being played simultaneously on Friday evening.

I think the team quoted in the opening post looks reasonable enough. We have to rest Graham, Fitzpatrick, Robinson, McMillan and Muirhead, the first 4 because they are practically irreplaceable and their fitness and freshness will be vital for the play offs, and Muirhead because he has been carrying an injury.

My only 2 exceptions:

• Stewart is so dreadful that Mitchell has to play. There is hopefully a fairly small risk of a goalkeeper being injured.
  • Milne may need some game time after missing out last week. Ngwenya can shift to right back. McKenzie can move further forward and displace Loney. 

If all goes well, Loney and other younger players can make debuts in the second half.

PS Maybe Neilson is needed to add some steel to the midfield. Playing Alston, Bannigan and McInroy seems rather lightweight.

Edited by partickthedog
see PS

Given the number of permitted subs these days we can be experimental with the starting XI and have a strong bench for insurance. I think whatever defence we put out will be reasonably experienced in any case. Maybe we'll start the way we ended up on Saturday with a back three of McBeth, Neilson & O'Reilly with the wingbacks restrained a tad. 

Doolan emphasised, indeed overemphasised, striking a balance on Friday as we start the playoffs on Tuesday.

Stanway and Milne are available again so could see either of them get at least a decent 20/30 minutes tonight 

Ngwenya spoke very well and it would be harsh for him to drip out of the starting eleven. He stated how he saw United being lethargic last Friday and it would be a good chance to get a positive result up in Dundee.

Doolan was a bit more reserved but just stated we would play our way as we could not be sure how the opposition will be setup and their levels of motivation

I can see United trying to get out the blocks quickly then maybe tail off.

I wouldn't be surprised nor indeed upset with another draw to stretch our unbeaten run heading into the mania of the playoffs.

TL;DR  0-0 

Edited by jagfox

I think we need to put out a reasonably strong team tonight. Utd have turned us over twice already this season and may very well be up for this tonight in front of what is very likely to be a pretty busy tannadice. I think the only players that really need resting are Fitzpatrick, Muirhead and McMillan. Graham hasn’t looked tired in any game so far and Robinson has missed so many already. However, without Fitzpatrick and Lawless already missing the best we can hope for is a draw.

2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I think we need to put out a reasonably strong team tonight. Utd have turned us over twice already this season and may very well be up for this tonight in front of what is very likely to be a pretty busy tannadice. I think the only players that really need resting are Fitzpatrick, Muirhead and McMillan. Graham hasn’t looked tired in any game so far and Robinson has missed so many already. However, without Fitzpatrick and Lawless already missing the best we can hope for is a draw.

Disagree that Graham hasn’t looked tired. Probably his relentless determination that gives the impression he’s got plenty in the tank, but I suspect he’s not far off running on empty especially with 3 games in 8 days coming up (and hopefully more). 

11 hours ago, partickthedog said:

All the games are being played simultaneously on Friday evening.

I think the team quoted in the opening post looks reasonable enough. We have to rest Graham, Fitzpatrick, Robinson, McMillan and Muirhead, the first 4 because they are practically irreplaceable and their fitness and freshness will be vital for the play offs, and Muirhead because he has been carrying an injury.

My only 2 exceptions:

• Stewart is so dreadful that Mitchell has to play. There is hopefully a fairly small risk of a goalkeeper being injured.
  • Milne may need some game time after missing out last week. Ngwenya can shift to right back. McKenzie can move further forward and displace Loney. 

If all goes well, Loney and other younger players can make debuts in the second half.

PS Maybe Neilson is needed to add some steel to the midfield. Playing Alston, Bannigan and McInroy seems rather lightweight.

Thanks for reminding me that all the games are on Friday night.

I agree with your comments that Marshall and Neilson need to play (instead of Stewart and Alston my opinion) Robinson also needs to play and as has already been pointed out (Lenzie Jag) he has missed quite a few games so fatigue shouldn't be a problem for him.

I would also go with Diack instead of Graham.

57 minutes ago, JeanieD said:

Meaningless game yet it’s on the telly - can’t understand why the Inverness or the QP (or a mix of both) games aren’t being shown. 

Selected a few weeks in advance. Guess champions perogative.

Oh well, a few not so meaningless games coming up, starting on Tuesday.

21 hours ago, thornwoodjag said:

Stewart, McKenzie,, McBeth, O’Rielly, Ngwenya, Stanway, Banzo, Alston, Mcinroy, Diack, Loney
What a team 😂

Looks like Doolan has been guesting on this site and seen your post. You are almost spot on. An A+ for your foresight.

Hope Queens Park are bang on form tonight.

23 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Looks like Doolan has been guesting on this site and seen your post. You are almost spot on. An A+ for your foresight.

Hope Queens Park are bang on form tonight.

Surprised Mcmillan is playing 

Better on this occasion to rest the 1st choice players, as even if you bring them on, at least they will have had some rest.

If you start with your best team and go 2 0 down and Airdrie go 2 0 up, you'd end up playing them for the full game just in case.

I think it's a bold team selection but the right one under the circumstances.