Onethistle - Is The Project Finished Already?

ClydebankJag

Very sad that one thistle is getting accused of being a "closed shop" by some people on here, who I would have expected better of.

Has anyone who put their name forward been ignored or knocked back? To my knowledge the answer to that is no, so I don't know how anyone can say it's a closed shop. If I thought for one minute it was, I would not have got involved.

Seems to me that some people have taken the huff because they weren't one of the ones "approached".

This really won't help the initiative get off the ground at all, so thanks lads, big help here.

I find this post extremely offensive. There are plenty of Thistle fans who would lend a hand if they knew how. Taking a "huff" because people were not approached is not the case, people simply don't know who to approach or how to go about volunteering for the club.

It was on the club website on the 20th March and you made a thread about moving the singing section on the 2nd April - 13 days later. That to me seem awful quick and to me it seems the "advert" on the Thistle site was merely just for show.

If it is so open for anyone to join - make it a section on the website with the names of the people currently involved and an email or phone number for those who want to get involved. How hard would that be?

Volunteering for the club is a total farce at the best of times!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I look on onethislte is that its still in its startup period where you work out all the issues between it and the club before opening it up to everyone to help out. Give them some time to get the groundrules sorted then I would expect those who can offer assistance will be offered a chance to help .

FWIW I sent Jim a PM a while back offering to help, once he sorts out something I can do I will try help them out.

I find this post extremely offensive. There are plenty of Thistle fans who would lend a hand if they knew how. Taking a "huff" because people were not approached is not the case, people simply don't know who to approach or how to go about volunteering for the club.

It was on the club website on the 20th March and you made a thread about moving the singing section on the 2nd April - 13 days later. That to me seem awful quick and to me it seems the "advert" on the Thistle site was merely just for show.

If it is so open for anyone to join - make it a section on the website with the names of the people currently involved and an email or phone number for those who want to get involved. How hard would that be?

Volunteering for the club is a total farce at the best of times!

LMJ,

I'm sorry but that is absolute nonsense.

If anyone wants to help or volunteer and don't know who to approach, all they have to do is phone or email the Club.

You've said yourself that there was a thread started back in April re the North Stand move have a read through the thread again, and tell me if you think there might be some folk who posted there, that might fall in to the bracket of "being available to approach".

would you say that this article would suggest Ian Maxwell can be contacted?

http://www.scottishfootballleague.com/news/article/the-one-thistle/

Infact the article you mention on the official site references Ian Maxwell and Geoff Brown... So, why would you not approach them?

http://www.ptfc.co.uk/news/2011-2012/march_2012/one_thistle

Jim has been visible on here re OneThistle... why would you not contact him.

i put a thread up yesterday regarding the north stand move asking for volunteers... 381 views, how many posts, how many offers?

Volunteering to the Club is not a farce, as shown above...

LMJ,

I'm sorry but that is absolute nonsense.

If anyone wants to help or volunteer and don't know who to approach, all they have to do is phone or email the Club.

You've said yourself that there was a thread started back in April re the North Stand move have a read through the thread again, and tell me if you think there might be some folk who posted there, that might fall in to the bracket of "being available to approach".

would you say that this article would suggest Ian Maxwell can be contacted?

http://www.scottishf...he-one-thistle/

Infact the article you mention on the official site references Ian Maxwell and Geoff Brown... So, why would you not approach them?

http://www.ptfc.co.u...012/one_thistle

Jim has been visible on here re OneThistle... why would you not contact him.

i put a thread up yesterday regarding the north stand move asking for volunteers... 381 views, how many posts, how many offers?

Volunteering to the Club is not a farce, as shown above...

Your opinion is your opinion.

However I refer you back to your links - where are the contact email addresses or contact number of these people? Or if fans want to volunteer they have to search the site to find these numbers? I know that is not a big task but an easier approach to volunteering I feel needs to be made.

You put a thread about volunteering at a time when people are unsure if they will ever attend a match at Firhill again because our club seem unable to say "NO". Your timing was poor to say the least.

Your points do not show volunteering is not a farce but because you volunteer in this exclusive little club of course that makes you a far better fan than me - so I shall pipe down and leave you too it.

just had a look, and no disrespect, but you asked that question after midnight on a thread called: New Statement From The Club.

I was just curious and respect noted, however we don't share a time zone and as I recall that thread specifically referenced the onethistle collective. Anyhow, play on.

My knowledge, or lack thereof, of Thistle comes entirely from forums such as these and my reading of the club's recent history is that if the people behind a fans initiative can't see that total transparency is the only way to do things then you're just going to end up with a heavily factionalised and useless organisation like the JT. People just won't buy it unless they feel part of it or able to be anyway.

Obviously I hope it works and that when the season kicks off there are actual real live fans there to be a voice for.

Edited by madcapmilkdrinker

Your opinion is your opinion.

However I refer you back to your links - where are the contact email addresses or contact number of these people? Or if fans want to volunteer they have to search the site to find these numbers? I know that is not a big task but an easier approach to volunteering I feel needs to be made.

You put a thread about volunteering at a time when people are unsure if they will ever attend a match at Firhill again because our club seem unable to say "NO". Your timing was poor to say the least.

Your points do not show volunteering is not a farce but because you volunteer in this exclusive little club of course that makes you a far better fan than me - so I shall pipe down and leave you too it.

You're on the wind up, right?

My timing of the new thread was based on folk feeling they weren't being included in any north stand move discussions, as mentioned on another thread by Stephen H inparticular.... as soon as they highlighted this, i started the thread... people feel they dont have a means to offer their services, so now i'm damned for starting a thread for folk to post in if they want to be involved?

if folk are so interested in helping out... how many threads have been started asking for contact details or just saying "contact me"

my points show that your post was lazy and taking a standard "beat something with a stick" approach. you complained you didn't know who to contact... i showed you in the very links you discussed that it was glaringly obvious who to approach. now your stance is that, even tho its obvious who they are, its a disgrace that they haven't listed their contact details.... and that folk need to "search the website" to find contact details! why not just click "contact us" on the official website home page... or is that not glaringly obvious enough either?

OneThistle is not an exclusive club, that has been repeated endlessly, why would i start a thread asking for folk to volunteer if it was an exclusive club... but again, that suits your agenda, so batter in.

where have i infered i'm a better fan than anyone else? i've never suggested anything of the sort and quite frankly that accusation really fckin pisses me off.

i'm quite sure you feel hurt that no one thanked you for your services when you volunteered, its just a pity thathurt is letting you prejudge, dismiss and lambast any other volunteer project that occurs.

You're on the wind up, right?

My timing of the new thread was based on folk feeling they weren't being included in any north stand move discussions, as mentioned on another thread by Stephen H inparticular.... as soon as they highlighted this, i started the thread... people feel they dont have a means to offer their services, so now i'm damned for starting a thread for folk to post in if they want to be involved?

if folk are so interested in helping out... how many threads have been started asking for contact details or just saying "contact me"

my points show that your post was lazy and taking a standard "beat something with a stick" approach. you complained you didn't know who to contact... i showed you in the very links you discussed that it was glaringly obvious who to approach. now your stance is that, even tho its obvious who they are, its a disgrace that they haven't listed their contact details.... and that folk need to "search the website" to find contact details! why not just click "contact us" on the official website home page... or is that not glaringly obvious enough either?

OneThistle is not an exclusive club, that has been repeated endlessly, why would i start a thread asking for folk to volunteer if it was an exclusive club... but again, that suits your agenda, so batter in.

where have i infered i'm a better fan than anyone else? i've never suggested anything of the sort and quite frankly that accusation really fckin pisses me off.

i'm quite sure you feel hurt that no one thanked you for your services when you volunteered, its just a pity thathurt is letting you prejudge, dismiss and lambast any other volunteer project that occurs.

First of all no I am not on "the wind up" and my post was not "Lazy".

Your timing could have been better for that new thread was all I was saying. Until the Rangers mess is taken care of we have no clue how next season will go.

It amazes me though that a club that requires volunteers doesn't do more to advertise this and as I have said previously a section on the website would be useful.

That will be the "contact us" which is right at the bottom of the page and isn't as obvious as you make out?

I didn't want a "Thank you" for the time I put in. I volunteered because I love the club. What I wanted was a simply answer as to why I was told not to come back. I am not "hurt" by this - I do not cry myself to sleep nor do I lose sleep over it. However I see "OneThistle" for what it is. An exclusive fans club to help make PTFC better. You say it is not exclusive but from a fan on the outside it is not glaringly obvious how the hell you join the "OneThistle" .

What about all the fans who want to help but don't use this forum - would they know the club needed volunteers from glance at the site?

First of all no I am not on "the wind up" and my post was not "Lazy".

Your timing could have been better for that new thread was all I was saying. Until the Rangers mess is taken care of we have no clue how next season will go.

It amazes me though that a club that requires volunteers doesn't do more to advertise this and as I have said previously a section on the website would be useful.

That will be the "contact us" which is right at the bottom of the page and isn't as obvious as you make out?

I didn't want a "Thank you" for the time I put in. I volunteered because I love the club. What I wanted was a simply answer as to why I was told not to come back. I am not "hurt" by this - I do not cry myself to sleep nor do I lose sleep over it. However I see "OneThistle" for what it is. An exclusive fans club to help make PTFC better. You say it is not exclusive but from a fan on the outside it is not glaringly obvious how the hell you join the "OneThistle" .

What about all the fans who want to help but don't use this forum - would they know the club needed volunteers from glance at the site?

all great points, maybe you could contact the club about it?

It's an emotive time for all cconcerned with Thistle at the moment. As JJ posted yesterday, any perceived delay with opening up OneThistle is simply a reflection that it still early days with structures etc. The Club Board also need to be fully on board with the practicalties of fan involvement.

Ian, Dave, Lance, Jim and others have been doing some good work behind the scenes. I can understand some frustrations LMJ, but maybe we just need to give OneThistle the benefit of the doubt as they start to move things forward over the summer?

Well as your "OneThistle" Why don't you just pass it on?

I'm not one thistle... i am a person who has assisted with one small part of it.

if you could compile a list of any issues you have, with your contact email address, name etc... i'll happily copy and paste it from here and send it to the contact us email address for you. although to be honest, i think it would be better if you sent it directly.

I'm not one thistle... i am a person who has assisted with one small part of it.

if you could compile a list of any issues you have, with your contact email address, name etc... i'll happily copy and paste it from here and send it to the contact us email address for you. although to be honest, i think it would be better if you sent it directly.

I don't have issues - I have stated everything quite clearly and if you can't see that then I give up!

• Members

FWIW, I asked Jim the question about how volunteers were being gathered and I thought he answered the question clearly, build a small group first then ask for more volunteers later when needed. Sounds fair enough to me.

I understood that Dave and Ian were just asked to get involved in the North Stand move as two of the more recognisable members of the 'singing' support and as such didn't really regard them as members of the OneThistle Group. So it's probably difficult to say just what is involved in being a member of the OneThistle Group I suppose? Perhaps 1JL for instance, is already a valued member of the team but just doesn't know it! Maybe we should all just cut them some slack for now when tensions are already high over the Rangers fiasco and ride out that storm first?

OneThistle was an attempt to pull together the loose threads of volunteers and proffessionals who undertook work for the Club and have it as a more cohesive unit,the ubderstanding was that they would take on roles and grow ,in the process its numbers would hopefully grow and the fans would have a direct input in running the Club.

If the concept of fans running PTFC was ever to become a reality the having fans with direct experience who at some point in time could move onto more Senior roles is crucial.

For numerous reasons the roles we had hoped to have didnt transpire ,this is a radical change - " fans" are not seen as "proffessionals" by most Clubs ,they are seen as well meaning volunteers - if onethistle are to get off the ground then that culture has to change ,its a struggle ,so we havent given up on the concept its just not going anywhere very fast therefore as peoples expectations are raised we have to be honest about progress.

Its not a closed shop but until we manage to establish the formal roles it has, then further recruitment is pointless.

When I had a formal position with the Club a loose group was formed to deliver various events like Glasgows Big Game - the Club recieved the credit where in reality it took very little interest and at times was damn right obstructive - the reason for branding this onethistle was so that the fans who ran these events recieved recognition and other fans were aware PTFC fans are capable of delivering.

Hopefully the barriers we are facing will be removed and we can progress as we had hoped to do.

Much as it pains me to admit it, but JJ summarises the position accurately, hence my quoting again here for clarity. As we await the removal of "barriers" however, I do have a couple of vacancies which need to be filled - any volunteers ?

You can contact me on this or any One Thistle matter on [email protected]

Both roles are "backups" - one of my objectives is to have 2/3 people for every position, so that we have cover for illness/holidays/occassional custodial sentences.

1. Stadium Announcer - role is self explanatory really!

2. Matchday DJ - select and play the music

Cheers, Lance

Both roles are "backups" - one of my objectives is to have 2/3 people for every position, so that we have cover for illness/holidays/occassional custodial sentences.

1. Stadium Announcer - role is self explanatory really!

2. Matchday DJ - select and play the music

Cheers, Lance

Crimes against music

The last couple of comments got me thinking, within our support there will be quite a wide range of musical tastes so could the club use that to generate some additional funds and interest?

Idea - the club select 6 games during the season and in the build up to those games fans can bid to have their choice of music played before kick off and during half time. The highest bidder gets his/her choice of songs played and maybe a bit in the programme explaining their choices whilst the club get a bit of extra cash.

Worth taking forward?

Sounds like a potentially good idea FT, certainly worth a shot at zero cost to the club, presumably something the OT team could take onboard.

For what it's worth I think sniping at OT before a ball has metaphorically been kicked is rather petty. Perhaps they could have kept it quiet while they worked on it over the summer to be ready for the new season but it seems like a positive step and announcing its inception and the North Stand move at the end of last season generated a bit of a positive buzz for the new season. I think people are (rightly) angry about other things now and are taking it out on this issue, if I was keen on volunteering I have seen more than enough potential points of contact through limited reading of this website. It might work, it might not, but they are trying something and I'm sure are more than happy to welcome on board as many ideas/offers as possible. You can't sit and say it's a closed shop until you've made some sort of effort to get involved.

The last couple of comments got me thinking, within our support there will be quite a wide range of musical tastes so could the club use that to generate some additional funds and interest?

Idea - the club select 6 games during the season and in the build up to those games fans can bid to have their choice of music played before kick off and during half time. The highest bidder gets his/her choice of songs played and maybe a bit in the programme explaining their choices whilst the club get a bit of extra cash.

Worth taking forward?

Fairly certain Clyde used to do something like this.