Best Thistle Goal Ever

PTFC1942

Ibrox Park October 1959 League Cup replay Thistle v Dundee. Only minutes to go when Thistle are awarded a free kick just outside the Dundee box. Every Thistle fan and Thistle player in the park is screaming at Jimmy Davidson to hammer the free kick through the wall of Dundee players and into the back of the net as the power shot was his special;ty

To the astonishment of every person in the park including the Thistle players and the great Dundee goalkeeper Bill Brown, Jimmy chips the ball over the wall and into the top corner of the net. Brown did not even move.

After about 10 seconds of stunned silence the ground erupted me and my dad were both crying our eyes out at the greatest Thistle goal that I had ever seen.

Anybody think they saw anything better?

Ibrox Park October 1959 League Cup replay Thistle v Dundee. Only minutes to go when Thistle are awarded a free kick just outside the Dundee box. Every Thistle fan and Thistle player in the park is screaming at Jimmy Davidson to hammer the free kick through the wall of Dundee players and into the back of the net as the power shot was his special;ty

To the astonishment of every person in the park including the Thistle players and the great Dundee goalkeeper Bill Brown, Jimmy chips the ball over the wall and into the top corner of the net. Brown did not even move.

After about 10 seconds of stunned silence the ground erupted me and my dad were both crying our eyes out at the greatest Thistle goal that I had ever seen.

Anybody think they saw anything better?

I remember that goal. I was with my dad too. I was 14yrs old and I went nuts when the best centre half in the world scored. Made the score 3 : 2 for the Jags. Went to the final with dad against Celtic, poor result for us 0 : 0. Being a student at Shawlands Academy I naturally plunked the afternoon session of school to go up to Hampden for the replay. Should have stayed at school and suffered Latin and French.

Pre-lambie:

Buckley winner v dumbarton in about 1985 top of the table clash.

West equaliser v clyde after being 3-0 down, paddy kelly beat about 4 men down the right.

Chico free kick at dens, think we won 2-0.

Mccoy diving header at love street in 89 cup win.

Maybe not the best goals but add in what they meant and the celebrations... 4 of my favourites

Dorrans' overhead kick against Peterhead at home. Peterhead won 3-1 with their goals coming on the break and us unable to break their defence down in a game that could have been one of the worst I had seen in my life, had Dorrans not produced that moment of sheer brilliance. I still can't believe how good it was and whenever any conversation comes up where people talk about the best goal they have ever seen in the flesh, it's always this one.

August 21 1974 - Denis v. Clyde at Firhill, best goal I have ever seen a Thistle player score - description in cuttings attached does not do it full justice but I'm sure some folk on here will remember it as a truly fantastic goal.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=GGgVawPscysC&dat=19740822&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2mus-XyGPC0C&dat=19740822&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

• Like 2

My Dad would say Dan McLindon v. DUFC mid 60's. Roxburgh got a hat-trick but McLindon's run the length of the park was the talking point, and still is ("not as good as Dan's" whenever the Jags score).

http://partickthistl...+-+Dan+McLindon

Me... no idea would need to think about it.

Bryza, I was at that game and with at least a thousand jags games behind me, I have no doubt that it is the best goal I have seen a jags player score. Big Dangerous Danny wasnt the greatest of players but my God what a goal that was. If Messi, Ronaldo etc had scored that, it would never be off the telly!

Possibly Alex Burns goal to complete his hat trick (it was defo part of the hat trick anyway) from the main stand touchline. Cannae remember who against. Either that or Gerry v Dundee in the cup. Still got that on my PC for nostalgia :)

Edit: Just went to watch the goal again and found Shaggy v ICT , thats up there with the best as well :D

Edited by Junior

I remember that goal. I was with my dad too. I was 14yrs old and I went nuts when the best centre half in the world scored. Made the score 3 : 2 for the Jags. Went to the final with dad against Celtic, poor result for us 0 : 0. Being a student at Shawlands Academy I naturally plunked the afternoon session of school to go up to Hampden for the replay. Should have stayed at school and suffered Latin and French.

Remember it well! You may have the year wrong though, our final v Celtic was in 1956.

Dan McLindon's goal is unforgettable, but for me nothing surpasses Brian Whittaker's last minute thunderbolt against Rangers in 1976. Not often the Jags came back from behind against old Rangers to win at the last gasp.

Rod McDonald's equaliser against Rangers in that game.

I think Ian Cameron's stoater at Tynecastle to make it 5-2.

Fat Bob McCulloch's rocket free-kick against Greenock Morton when I think we won 3-0.

Damon Grey's goal against Rangers in the cup.

Perhaps not the best goals but the ones which stand out in my mind - and that's why everyones' best will be different.

Edited by peagreenboy

August 21 1974 - Denis v. Clyde at Firhill, best goal I have ever seen a Thistle player score - description in cuttings attached does not do it full justice but I'm sure some folk on here will remember it as a truly fantastic goal.

http://news.google.c...frontpage&hl=en

i'd love to be able to see that goal again!

In years to come when this subject comes up, folk will mention one or two of Chris Erskines goals!

I think the best goal (to include the build up) i've seen for a good while was O'Donnell's against the Pars. That might not win goal of the season. Might not even be considered the best goal of that fantastic match!

Back on track, just too young to have seen Davidson's free kick but anyone who could do that to arguably Scotland's finest ever goalie deserves the greatest credit.

Quite possibly my all-time favourite Thistle Goal...Denis was out on the wing in front of the Shed, he then ran in a complete circle almost knocking over the ref before dribbling past several Clyde players and thundering a rocket shot into the corner of the net.

Honourable mentions in the great goals stakes are the 40 yard first time strike from Denis against Montrose in Season 70/71; James McKinstry's goal against Clyde; and Stephen O'Donnell's cute finish after a great move against Dunfermline earlier this season.

Dorrans' overhead kick against Peterhead at home. Peterhead won 3-1 with their goals coming on the break and us unable to break their defence down in a game that could have been one of the worst I had seen in my life, had Dorrans not produced that moment of sheer brilliance. I still can't believe how good it was and whenever any conversation comes up where people talk about the best goal they have ever seen in the flesh, it's always this one.

Exact same. Can't get footage of this anywhere though! If someone by chance does have the clip from old PTTV footage; stick it on YouTube. After bleating on about this to my mates so much it would be good to show them - and myself - if it was as good as I remember it to be. I'd imagine it would be, overhead kick from around the penalty spot. Lovely.

Exact same. Can't get footage of this anywhere though! If someone by chance does have the clip from old PTTV footage; stick it on YouTube. After bleating on about this to my mates so much it would be good to show them - and myself - if it was as good as I remember it to be. I'd imagine it would be, overhead kick from around the penalty spot. Lovely.

Yep, from the penalty spot and drilled into the top corner (provided my memory hasn't made it even better!).

The PTTV highlights were available on the club website prior to the upgrade to its current format. I remember looking them up in 2007 to show someone and it was there. I might get in touch with the club to ask if they still have that footage.

Not a goal but somebody mentioned Quinten Jacobs and it always sticks in my mind a shot where he turned FIVE players at once and then pinged an effort like a rocket from just inside their half. It only went about an inch over the bar. This was at Stranraer - just aswel there was no fans behind the goal, would end up like when Gibson leathered a ball wide before the Gretna game knocking a poor spectator unconscious.

Yep, from the penalty spot and drilled into the top corner (provided my memory hasn't made it even better!).

The PTTV highlights were available on the club website prior to the upgrade to its current format. I remember looking them up in 2007 to show someone and it was there. I might get in touch with the club to ask if they still have that footage.

It's on the promotion DVD(If you have it).

If it doesn't appear in some form by Thursday, I'll stick it up myself.

• Like 1