Never Turned Up!

Metzmagic

Not offensive at all. But when some folk get excited over a union flag design entirely in Thistle colours, then it's not surprising that some folk will also get excited by seeing that flag. Can't say I enjoyed seeing it when I noticed it on tv, but not worth getting excited over.

The flag

2qs8lye.jpg

Can someone explain to me what is so offensive? I actually thought although a little random it was quite nice.

I didn't see any issue with it either. Now, if it had been a Chelsea or, God help us, a Sevco, flag, that would have been different, because they have a different agenda where the England flag is concerned.

After watching that shite, who cares about a ******* flag. We were absolutely ******* dreadful. O'Donnell, Erskine and Welsh were the worst, closely followed by Lawless, Craig and Craigan. Bannigan and Sinclair were decidedly average, while Muirhead and Balatoni were OK. The 3 subs were our best 3 players. Queens were not a great side, if they had been, they would have won that game easily. We deserved to lose that game yesterday. I'm just praying we dont play as bad as that on Wednesday, or we could be on the end of a thrashing.

This may be total rubbish but was told that there is some connection with Thistle and Spurs regarding a very early floodlit game in the 50's ?

Yes - I was there- and as I recall we won 2 - 0 ! This was an Anglo-Scottish Floodlight League which was never completed. Remember seeing Newcastle United at Firhill too .Can't remember the other Scottish club - possibly Hibs? I don't think either of the OF had lights at the time.

Is that what we're all about now? Image? So reading between the lines, we are the team that apparently welcomes everyone but maybe not the English. Why? Because it doesn't look good on telly!

It might be better if you didn't read between the lines and just read what I said? The flag was irrelevant as it would have been for a flag of any other club or nation. As for image, sorry but I do care how others view my club since rightly or wrongly people do make associations. There is nothing wrong with a tri colour flag nor a union jack but do you think the thistle fans would have been comfortable with them so evidently displayed just because a few OF fans decided to come along for the day? To be honest, this issue is finished for me, I was just making a point and now that the disappointment of yesterday has well and truly sunk in, I'm looking forward to us all pulling together to hammer that mob on Wednesday!

Serious question. Are there really Thistle fans on your forum, Johnny Morton?. If so, more fool them; either way, why are you here? Seriously, are you really so Johnny nae-mates that you have to come and infect our space?

Also, standing in a queue down at the harbour offering blowys to sailors for the price of a bag of smack isn't "being at uni". As for "real good banter" did it sound like "erummm rummm aowww" - because your face was totally crammed with Polish seaman?

F**cin classic! :clapping:

It might be better if you didn't read between the lines and just read what I said? The flag was irrelevant as it would have been for a flag of any other club or nation. As for image, sorry but I do care how others view my club since rightly or wrongly people do make associations. There is nothing wrong with a tri colour flag nor a union jack but do you think the thistle fans would have been comfortable with them so evidently displayed just because a few OF fans decided to come along for the day? To be honest, this issue is finished for me, I was just making a point and now that the disappointment of yesterday has well and truly sunk in, I'm looking forward to us all pulling together to hammer that mob on Wednesday!

Ok mate, we'll agree to disagree and move on. I'm with you on the section highlighted above. Peace, respect and let's do that mob on Wednesday! :thumbsup2:

Really bad day at the office on sunday and i am completly blaming archie, up untill the raith game he had got more or less everything right for me from getting james craigen going to even the timing and use of his subs. but in the last two matches it has been evident that the boys have been told to hit the long ball which to me seems absolutley ridiculous when for the whole of this season we have been a quick passing football playing side, we also have quite a small strike force and i think on sunday guys like erskine and lawless got a bit of a raw deal they are both smashing players and both look for the ball all the time but they need it on the deck remember these two have got almost 30 goals between them this season and i dont think any of them have come from the end of a thump up the pitch, also the team have become a bit more static lawless and erskine normaly switch flanks a couple of times in each half i ve not seen that happen in the last wee while. The worst player for me on sunday had to be odonnell someone wrote in an earlier post about him being a confidence player which i think is spot on i was sitting really close to his side of the pitch and after 10 mins he was killing us it was one mistake after another and he couldnt find his man six yards away. archie used the same long ball tactic for the whole game aswell even though it wasnt working which is what worries me the most because there are more footballers in the team than hoofers.I know the players, archie and the rest of the staff will be hurting probably more than any of us and its crunch time now with the league so lets get right behind them instead of putting the boot in and remember they played crap and still took penalties to beat them and they are a lottery they have also just played five games in sixteen days which is a bit gruelling for anybody much like this rant i m hivin the noo. Anyway cmon the jags, roll on wednesday and lets get it right roon these moron w''''s.

• Members

I doubt Archie has told them to start playing the long ball game. I suspect that the team has dropped a little bit in confidence over the past couple of games, not wanting to make a mistake with so much at stake. And this is the biggest reason why we as fans shouldn't be getting on their backs. We'll get more from the players by encouraging them than start criticising them at this stage of the season. Back the team and cheer them on to victory.

• Like 3

This may be total rubbish but was told that there is some connection with Thistle and Spurs regarding a very early floodlit game in the 50's ?

The OH says that Spurs were invited to play a friendly to mark the official opening of the new floodlights at Firhill in season 55-56. Jags won 1-0. There were several other matches between the two teams in the 50s.

Really bad day at the office on sunday and i am completly blaming archie, up untill the raith game he had got more or less everything right for me from getting james craigen going to even the timing and use of his subs. but in the last two matches it has been evident that the boys have been told to hit the long ball which to me seems absolutley ridiculous when for the whole of this season we have been a quick passing football playing side, we also have quite a small strike force and i think on sunday guys like erskine and lawless got a bit of a raw deal they are both smashing players and both look for the ball all the time but they need it on the deck remember these two have got almost 30 goals between them this season and i dont think any of them have come from the end of a thump up the pitch, also the team have become a bit more static lawless and erskine normaly switch flanks a couple of times in each half i ve not seen that happen in the last wee while. The worst player for me on sunday had to be odonnell someone wrote in an earlier post about him being a confidence player which i think is spot on i was sitting really close to his side of the pitch and after 10 mins he was killing us it was one mistake after another and he couldnt find his man six yards away. archie used the same long ball tactic for the whole game aswell even though it wasnt working which is what worries me the most because there are more footballers in the team than hoofers.I know the players, archie and the rest of the staff will be hurting probably more than any of us and its crunch time now with the league so lets get right behind them instead of putting the boot in and remember they played crap and still took penalties to beat them and they are a lottery they have also just played five games in sixteen days which is a bit gruelling for anybody much like this rant i m hivin the noo. Anyway cmon the jags, roll on wednesday and lets get it right roon these moron w''''s.

That's a pretty good summary of things at the moment, I'd say.

Then why did I pass a bunch of them heading back to the stadium after the game followed by the several members of the constabulary.

Was there more than one group of visitors from down south?

Even more concerning if there was.

Do they come to a lot of our games? I think I've missed maybe one game this season and would have thought I would have noticed them before now.

The difference between the national flag of Wales and the racist and bigoted connotations associated with the flag on display yesterday seem to be lost on you.

If the visitors from England knew anything about Thistle, and it was suggested elsewhere they did, why would they think it a good idea to display a banner that you're

more likely so see at games involving Rangers.

Out of interest, I can't remember what the flag said as the phrase didn't make any sense to me at the time. What did it say and what was it's meaning?

How the hell is the St Georges flag racist ???? Really some statements i have read on here are bordering on insanity

• Like 1

How the hell is the St Georges flag racist ???? Really some statements i have read on here are bordering on insanity

Whooosh! Yep, another one.

I think I'll just withdraw from this thread as some people can't seem too be able to read and understand the points being made by those who felt uncomfortable

about the flag.

• Like 1

Its all about context, in itself there is nothing inherently racist about the St Georges flag or any other flag for that matter, however in the context of Scottish football we all know that this flag will be associated with the followers of a team from Govan and all the bile and baggage they carry with them. Personally I've got more to bother me than a flag, but I accept some people for whatever reason found this particular flag offensive. Nonetheless, it seems to me rather pointless to make a big issue out of it since it seems very much an exceptional occurrence rather than the norm. Lets concentrate our energies on backing Thistle.