Morton On Wednesday

Woodstock Jag

I think we stick by our largely tired X1 tomorrow as there should be enough left in the tank mentally and physically to get the job done tomorrow. Give a few of the tired players a rest on Saturday at Airdrie if we get a result tomorrow night, have them a bit more gee'd up for the rest of the season.

My team would be:

Fox

O'Donnell, Balatoni, Dowie, Sinclair

Bannigan, Welsh, Forbes

Erskine Craigen

Craig

Subs: Daniels, McMillan/Archie, Lawless, Doolan, McGuigan

If Forbes shows half the work ethic he did against QOS then he deserves a start. Feel quite harsh dropping Lawless and not starting Doolan but I feel they both may be more effective from the bench. Craig's record against Morton speaks for itself and Doolan has the pace to come on and run at their centre halves when they may tire later on. Lawless has probably been one of my players of the season this season, if not the best, but in the Morton games he's been marked and kicked off the park. I think its a toss-up between him and Craigen to start tomorrow but I'd maybe go for the latter tomorrow night.

On a side-note, we really, really miss Paton. I've noticed Bannigan playing in his role in the last two games fairly ineffectively so I'd like to see Welsh sit so Bannigan has more freedom to get forward and run at players, which he is so good at doing. I'm surprised Murray is still being mentioned by people. He should be nowhere near any Thistle squad for the rest of the season, especially not against Morton.

I think that if Murray was fit Archie would play him.

Personally I am glad he is out, but i would be happy for him to play before the end of the season.

I still don't know why he conceded that penalty at Cappielow when the ball was clearly going to miss the goal and land somewhere in Port Glasgow.

Mon the Jags.

Just a thought

The morons have really got to win this one tonight

I'm sure it's squeaky bum time down crappielaw way.

Especially for mr moore

So I think we can expect everything including the proverbial kitchen sink to be thrown at us tonight

Players diving feigning injury attempting to win free kicks

Aerial bombardment in fact just your typical moron game plan

I'm sure it's gonna be a cracker

Lets get at them lads and lets keep the noise going the full game

I would go with the following team. I think SOD needs some time on the bench - he gave the ball away to cheaply on Sunday and we can’t afford a repeat of this. Hopefully McMillan will be fit and able to play. Very harsh on Forbes not in my team but not sure the likely frenetic pace will suit him. Lawless looked well below his best on Sunday and I thought Elliott did okay when he came on.

Plenty of potential game changers on the bench for us if we are chasing the game in the second half.

It’s a bit worrying changing a defence that conceded so little goals but Dowie and McMillan have experience and both coming from the same club is a big advantage. I think McMillan is an excellent signing for us.

This game has draw written all over it but hopefully we can get a win.

........................Fox

McMillan..... Dowie..... Balatoni…. Sinclair

......... Craigen..... Welsh...... Bannigan

……... Elliott....... Craig........ Erskine

Subs

Daniels

O’Donnell

Lawless

Forbes

Doolan

Edited to add Morton are going to try to get a 'reaction' from our players tonight, sure Archie will be emphasizing the need to not give them a 'reaction'.

Whats the odds on a heavy challenge going in on Erskine in the first 5 or 10 mins in the game?

Edited by Alan Murray

With Paton, McMillan, and Muirhead out, I think we should look to keep the disruption to a minimum but also reward the subs that did well on Sunday.

Fox

O'Donnell - Dowie - Balatoni - Sinclair

Bannigan - Welsh - Forbes

Elliott - Erskine

Doolan

We need energy and legs in the team and hopefully Elliott and Doolan will provide that. I've been disappointed with Lawless lately, he's just not been in the last three games. But I can't help but feel that's got a lot to do with him being pushed out wide to accomodate Craigan playing the advanced role. I'd personally like to see us go back to a 4-3-2-1 rather than this 4-2-3-1 which I think makes Erskine and Lawless less able to influence the game as they're too wide.

I've said before that I think we look pedestrian when Forbes and Welsh play together in midfield. I think they should both start, but they both need to put in a shift, particularly Forbes. He's super talented, just needs to lift his energy levels.

Quite simply, come on the mightly Jags. One big push and the league is pretty much settled tonight. And let's keep 11 men on the park. The players have been brilliant all season, we're undoubtedly the best and most exciting team in the league. Let's win this league in the style we've shown all season.

Edited by simoncordiner
  • Like 1

We've played 4-2-3-1 pretty well all season. The only difference has been that earlier in the season we had Welsh as the attacking midfielder between the two wingers and all three would swap around during a game (later in the season there were times when Forbes took the Welsh role now it's Craigen). I think it's more that maybe because he's only recently in the team and less experienced, Craigen is not as clever in his movement about the pitch and this makes it harder for the other two to find space.

Although of course systems like that are never rigid with us defending in a 4-5-1 formation and attacking with 6 or 7 or even 8 players going forward and switching positions. Even with two defensive midfield players, when we're on top in a game one of them will often push forward. I reckon at the start of the game tonight we will have a go but probably at least one of defensive midfield players will stay well back and probably only one of the two fullbacks will push right forward at any time.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I'm assuming Craigen's meant to be in there as he's not on your bench? I'm sure, too, that you don't mean 4-4-1. From all our other games v Morton this season, that could be an indication of how it might end up!

Nonsense! It was obviously deliberate - a masterstroke to devise a 10-man team: it rests more players for the rest of the run-in and we showed on Sunday that we play better with 10 men on the park. :innocent2:

Wednesday's match is the biggest game in the country: arguably the biggest game in Scotland all season. Both sides deserve credit for keeping the title race exciting and both deserve a big support for this one too. The cup final went perfect from our perspective but I can't see it having a huge affect on the end result. We'll have Hardie and O'Ware back while Thistle seem to be missing quite a few players, but I'd still class your lot as favourite. Enjoy your night lads and may the best team win. Mon the Ton!

A warm welcome to any guest wanting to contribute to sensible discussion. :happy2:

• Like 1

Wednesday's match is the biggest game in the country: arguably the biggest game in Scotland all season. Both sides deserve credit for keeping the title race exciting and both deserve a big support for this one too. The cup final went perfect from our perspective but I can't see it having a huge affect on the end result. We'll have Hardie and O'Ware back while Thistle seem to be missing quite a few players, but I'd still class your lot as favourite.

Enjoy your night lads and may the best team win. Mon the Ton!

Reading Archie's preview this morning it appears that the injury situation is not as bad as we had feared. Bannigan seems OK,... and he has not lost hope on Paton. McMillan is described as 'still unwell' however.

Reading Archie's preview this morning it appears that the injury situation is not as bad as we had feared. Bannigan seems OK,... and he has not lost hope on Paton. McMillan is described as 'still unwell' however.

His exact quote on Paton is;

"Hugh Murray and Paul Paton, and we could maybe have done with their experience on Sunday, are still out. Paul was back running on Monday and he stepped that up today as well and did some turning. I wouldn’t read too much into that though. I said when Paul first picked up his injury that he could be out for 3 days or 3 weeks; you just didn’t know with that type of knock. To be honest things aren’t any clearer now"

Think it's safe to say he's not available tonight, and probably not at the weekend either.

I really hope Bannigan makes it. We missed Paton big time on Sunday but Bannigan being in the side gives us a huge boost.

It is disappointing that McMillan appears unlikely to feature, as I might have been tempted to rest SO'D after Sunday. Doolan is bang in form though, so I would definitely start him tonight.

Oh, and Ross Forbes should feature at some point - any point. He may only possess the pace of a tortoise with chronic fatigue syndrome but he can play football; and his deadball ability could come in very handy tonight as well.

Oh, and Ross Forbes should feature at some point - any point. He may only possess the pace of a tortoise with chronic fatigue syndrome but he can play football; and his deadball ability could come in very handy tonight as well.

Completely agree. Our corners on Sunday were beyond awful. Back to the old Ian McCall days when they wouldn't beat the first man. Forbes has a great delivery from a corner and can also get his freekick's there or thereabouts. We need to make the most of these opportunities tonight and that is why Forbes has to start for me.

Completely agree. Our corners on Sunday were beyond awful. Back to the old Ian McCall days when they wouldn't beat the first man. Forbes has a great delivery from a corner and can also get his freekick's there or thereabouts. We need to make the most of these opportunities tonight and that is why Forbes has to start for me.

It didn't help that the advertising boards were just about touching the lines of the pitch.

Team for tonight on commentary page

Scott Fox, Stephen O'Donnell, Aaron Sinclair, Stuart Bannigan, Andy Dowie, Conrad Balatoni, Sean Welsh, James Craigen, Kris Doolan, Ross Forbes, Chris Erskine

Subs: Glen Daniels, Steven Craig, Christie Elliott, Steve Lawless, Alan Archibald.

Edited by kni