Favourite Memory Of The Lambie Era

LambieIsGod

i was at most of the games mentioned on this thread.

I cannot believe how many good times we had !!! Superb stuff during the Lambie era

I agree with all those previously but would like to add:

Being at Kilbowie on a week night on those wooden benches and hearing Jags fans singing "Johnny Lambie's Thistle Army" for 45 minutes solid.

I was only a wee boy but was amazed !

PS I used to work with Toastie and he is an absolute gent

Another vote for the SC replay at Love Street - Gerry McCoy will always be on my list of favourite Thistle players - a fantastic evening. It was made all the more enjoyable by being given a lift home by an extremely unhappy Buddy.

Unfortunately, Tynecastle in the next round was a damp squib (apart from a great pre-match Thistle sing-song in the Tynecastle Arms).

Edited by Charlie Endell

Too young to for his first two terms at Firhill... But was there for the revival from the 2nd Division to the SPL, best football experiences of my life. Best memory would probably be Love Street, even though I missed both goals going for a pee... Since that day it's been a recurring theme, many an important goal missed. Long may it continue I guess.

Edited by Graemei

What a fantastic night. A great result, an amazing crowd, and now just a couple of results away from winning the league. And to top it all off, we get The Return of the King, Sir John Lambie. It was great to see him back at Firhill and the cracking memories from those grand ol' heady days came flooding back. I thought I would start a thread to get some fans favourite memories from Lambie's time in charge. I have two. First one. We were getting thrashed by Aberdeen at home, 3-0 down at half time thanks to a Duncan Shearer hat trick. We were getting trounced big time. Towards the end of the 1st half, the heavens opened and it snowed like nothing I have seen before. Our sole groundsman came on the pitch with a broom which he tried to use to clear the lines of snow, however he only managed 10 yards before the brush snapped in two and he slowly walked off the pitch. Seconds later, the announcer informed us the game was abandoned and the result void. We then replayed the game and won it!! Only the Jags. The second one, is plain and simple. Going to France to see the mighty Jags in Europe against Metz in the Intertoto Cup. What a night! What an era.

It had been snowing all afternoon. We were 1 - 0 down at half time. It was a youth squad player with the broom. Kicked off the second half and Aberdeen scored again. Game abandoned shortly after that. The following Tuesday the game was replayed and we lost 7 - 0. Apart from that, your memory is spot on!

The trip to Metz was indeed an amazing night.

the 3-1 win over st. mirren in the cup replay for me.

think we were 9/1 in the bookies that night too :thumbsup2:

Reflection of the relative strength of the premier division. You'd never get odds like that between a premier and first division team these days

Love St stands out for me. We had a St Mirren supporting mate from school and that was massive. 9/1 at the bookies. Gerry McCoy's diving headwer and running to the Jags end of the shed kissing the badge. Amazing!

So many great memories of the great man. I remember winning a supporters club auction to travel on the team bus up to Brechin. Lambie picked us up in his motor, met the team bus at the Forth Road Bridge, bus was packed full of characters, Gordon Rae, Chico etc. The great man looked after us from start to finish, I remember sitting in the directors seats by mistake and having to move so Jim Mclean (******) could sit there. Whart a laugh we had taking the mic out of his combover.

This thread surely cannot pass without a mention of the 5-1 Falkirk game where they won on corners (except that they didn't) The Oponga own goal is one of my personal favourites.

Not sure if this was during Lambies time. It was near the end of the season away to Motherwell and we needed a win to avoid relegation or play off spot. We were 2-0 down and came back to win 3-2. Another game away at Airdrie. Paul Kinnaird came over to find out how a horse he had money on had done. It won and he had a stormer.

And of course the 2 promotion winning matches at Stirling and Love Street

It's got to be beating Celtic 2-1 at parkhead. My Celtic supporting cousin took me and of course I made him go in the thistle end. I danced all the way back to maryhill & he was raging!

I missed the 3-0 win against rangers because I was away on a school trip (it still haunts me to this day!) but I was first to phone home the next day and telling all the rangers fans in my class was bloody brilliant. They didn't believe me till someone else had phoned home to check!!

I was the mascot against Celtic so meeting the man himself as a kid was pretty good! He thought it was hysterical when I refused Liam Bradys autograph because I hated Celtic! I must've only been about 10 at the time.

I remember I had tickets to go and see Nelson Mandela at the royal concert hall(on a Sat afternoon). I set off down Gt Western Rd with my wife and young son listening to radio Scotland to see the great man .By the time we got to the lights at Botanic Gardens it was 3.06 and Thistle had scored their second goal to go 2-0 up against Aberdeen.To my shame, I immediately took a left and headed for Firhill thinking sorry mate I know you gave up 27 years of your life but it looks like we are going to hammer Aberdeen and that also might not happen for another 27 years. My wife dropped me at the ground and continued on without me. By half time it was 2-2 (I recall Billy Dodds scoring one of them). Fortunately we did win 3-2 with Roddy Grant getting the second half winner. On reflection I did get my priorities a bit skewed. However,I might be wrong but I am sure I read in his book that the only thing that got him through those 27 years was the thought that one day he would get to see his heroes in red and yellow at Firhill.

• Like 2

I remember I had tickets to go and see Nelson Mandela at the royal concert hall(on a Sat afternoon). I set off down Gt Western Rd with my wife and young son listening to radio Scotland to see the great man .By the time we got to the lights at Botanic Gardens it was 3.06 and Thistle had scored their second goal to go 2-0 up against Aberdeen.To my shame, I immediately took a left and headed for Firhill thinking sorry mate I know you gave up 27 years of your life but it looks like we are going to hammer Aberdeen and that also might not happen for another 27 years. My wife dropped me at the ground and continued on without me. By half time it was 2-2 (I recall Billy Dodds scoring one of them). Fortunately we did win 3-2 with Roddy Grant getting the second half winner. On reflection I did get my priorities a bit skewed. However,I might be wrong but I am sure I read in his book that the only thing that got him through those 27 years was the thought that one day he would get to see his heroes in red and yellow at Firhill.

I have it in my mind that Alex McLeish retired shortly after this game having been embarassed by Roddy Grant turning him inside out on the 6 yard line for this winner.

thanks for putting that clip up much appreciated. I totally remember roddy grants winner cos as I explained I had missed the first two but my memory was completely wrong on the dons goals.I had clearly mixed it up with another game were dodds curled one into the corner and I think there was a bizarre goal where Nicky walker headed the ball outside of his area for mckimmie (?) to punt it right into the goal from near the half way line or am I mixing another two games together? can anyone remember the outcome of the game(s) i have described?