Transfer Targets

ForeverandEver

Riordan would have been a typical Lambie signing. Bad boy reputation,completely lost his way in the game but a good footballer...pretty sure Lambie would have got him back on track but we have moved on from the Lambie era. As GrantB states there are plenty reasons why clubs havent touched him with a bargepole for the last year!

Edited by Lindau

There is a piece on Derek Riordan here:

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/top-football-stories/interview-derek-riordan-plots-his-return-1-2944412

A sumptously gifted player - just look at some of his goals on YouTube - but yet another who was unable to combine his on field talents with a civilised life off of it. You would hope that, by now, he at least recognises this, but from the article it would seem that he attributes the fact that he is only 30-years-old and currently clubless to sheer bad luck.

So yes, definitely a talent, but not the sort of person you would want around the place attempting to set any kind of example to younger players.

Would imagine Conroy is a better player than the one that left one, so would be decent for squad depth, and pretty versatile. I don't think signing the best of Dundee's players is a bad move because they clearly weren't that bad a side by the end of the season.

Brian Easton would be an excellent signing, but he wouldn't sign for us as back up. I almost feel Sinclair deserves a go as starter, so somebody more as back up, might be better. Possibly Paddy Boyle...

Rumoured that Easton will go to United to replace Douglas, who's off to Poland. Agree with Arch though in that I'd like to see Sinclair - and all our young players - given a chance in the SPL. Is is important if we want to continue building our reputation as a good place for young players to develop their careers.

I thought Conroy was one of the most bang average footballers I'd ever seen when he was with us. I seen nothing to disprove that whilst he was at QotS and Dundee.

He scored 3 goals from open play last season, one he was lucky to claim as it took a massive deflection.

Don't see what he'd add to the team.

There is a piece on Derek Riordan here:

http://www.scotsman....eturn-1-2944412

A sumptously gifted player - just look at some of his goals on YouTube - but yet another who was unable to combine his on field talents with a civilised life off of it. You would hope that, by now, he at least recognises this, but from the article it would seem that he attributes the fact that he is only 30-years-old and currently clubless to sheer bad luck.

So yes, definitely a talent, but not the sort of person you would want around the place attempting to set any kind of example to younger players.

I think we should go for him. You'll never build a great side just made up of model pros. Harkins and Riordan in one team would sell tickets and give our opponents plenty to think about.

Harkins signing with us should be confirmed this week - expected to be Wednesday along with two corrent under-contract players signing extensions. 2 year deal for GGH.

I really like the confidence of this post. Hope you're not wrong...

So that'll be two out of Elliott, McMillan and Scully then? I'm guessing Elliott and Scully.

I thought Conroy was one of the most bang average footballers I'd ever seen when he was with us. I seen nothing to disprove that whilst he was at QotS and Dundee.

He scored 3 goals from open play last season, one he was lucky to claim as it took a massive deflection.

Don't see what he'd add to the team.

I would have to agree with that. I always regarded Conroy as a player with absolutely no end product, always promising more than he ever delivered. I hope we avoid him like the plague :no:

So that'll be two out of Elliott, McMillan and Scully then? I'm guessing Elliott and Scully.

I am pretty sure Scully has already signed ? I thought I read it in one of Archie's interviews on the PTFC site.

Thanks for the reasoned response, SussexJag.

I'd like to take you up on a few things though, in the constructive spirit of debate.

1) Ayr have been to more cup-finals and semis than we have in the last 30 years

2) Archie has us playing the best football we have seen at Firhill since the mid-70s, I'm sure you will agree that's not up for discussion. Frankly, IMO this year's league win trumps anything Lambie did for Thistle, although I will acknowledge that his tenure from 1999 - 2003 was probably the most significant of his four periods in charge, given the club's plight at that time.

3) Lambie's record in the SPL with Thistle (and Falkirk) was hardly indicative of someone who could take a team to another level in the top division, bearing in mind that he certainly had funds and considerable talent available to him at Falkirk.

Also the players he chose to release at the end of 1994-95 season, given that he subsequently went to Falkirk soon afterwards, have always been a source of suspicion to me about his motives at that point.

Agree the football this year has been different class.

I think Lambie did make mistakes and falling out with players wasnt always a v good idea (!) But he got us up then kept us there when other clubs were spending daft sums - the SPL in the early to mid 90s was a much better league than it is now, and there were outbreaks of good football as a result of signing guys like Shaw, Irons, Cameron etc plus he got the most from people like Kinnaird and Farningham. Will agree to disagree, but interesting thinking about this all the same!

He said two under contract players so it can't be any of those three, although Elliot's new deal has just been announced.

Would be excellent for the club to announce Harkins signing along with extended deals for Muirhead and Banzo!!

Harkins signing with us should be confirmed this week - expected to be Wednesday along with two corrent under-contract players signing extensions. 2 year deal for GGH.

Would be fantastic news if true.

However Dundee fan who reckoned we had made an offer for Harkins did say that most Dundee players were waiting to see what happened with this new investment they may be getting

Stop worrying TL - regardless of any investment they'll still be an SFL1 club next season and a number of their players, including GGH, will be desperate to stay in the SPL.

You talk too much sense MP. The worry is if I dont worry about that I will worry about running out of worrything things :frantic:
  • Like 1

He said two under contract players so it can't be any of those three, although Elliot's new deal has just been announced.

Would be excellent for the club to announce Harkins signing along with extended deals for Muirhead and Banzo!!

Aaah yes, so he did. I'll blame the late-night posting for that one.

That'd be incredible, then.

...Surely we're not going to announce Gallacher, Baird, Harkins, Elliott + two more this week?

who said that two players are resigning this week? must have missed that?