St Mirren Match

Jaggernaut

No one took Thompson or any other player at the 1st goal, which was a corner from Fox spilling an easy save past the post

He had a great tackle 1 on 1 where if he had dived in would have been a penalty, had a good header when fox floundered instead of coming and making the ball his.

The team were shit today with the exceptions of Ozzy and Higgy

The fact that you interpreted the first goal that way is just a further indictment on Piccolo's performance - Thompson was his man at every other corner.

The tackle that you mention, which was a good challenge, only arose because his own failure to deal with a fairly basic bit of defending and was accentuated by his deceiving lack of pace.

If making one tackle and heading the ball is your barometer of a successful defensive performance, we have significantly different principles on the game.

Piccolo may becoming a scapegoat however if he is he's not doing anything to persuade anyone that he shouldn't be. He is far too casual and risky for a centre half in this division. And he doesn't have any redeeming qualities that would persuade me to overlook this?

He should never have been anywhere near the team today I can just about get it when there Is no alternative but to have 2 better options on the bench worries me.

Archie finally had enough even if it was only 1-0 strange though he put Ozzy back since we had like for like on the bench.

We need to become more solid I can guarantee the Mexican won't help us achieve it.

I am not sure Archie can be criticised from trying something different in putting Osbourne back. It certainly didn't weaken the team in the 10 mins before SOD got sent off, and with the extra forward player if could have paid off?

So the choice is a nice football team or a team who can win. Which one ?

You seriously think that is the sole choice for football in Scotland? Might explain why Scottish teams get pumped out of Europe early by teams that play football. We need to improve on decision-making and shifting the ball faster, and most teams we have played are there for the taking if you play football but don't make screw-ups. I really don't want to watch the ball getting pumped from one end to the other.

• Like 2

It's got absolutely nothing to do with scapegoating anyone - it's clearly evident he's out of his depth.

Despite your protestations, he lost Thompson for the first goal. His positioning is awful and he is constantly drawn towards the ball. This leaves his defensive partner to cover for him - it's no coincidence that Balatoni and Muirhead, two of our most consistent performers in the last year, have turned in their poorest performances when paired with this dumpling.

His communication is non-existent, again exemplified today when Balatoni and Fox were shouting for him to let the ball run and he instead headed it straight to the feet of Thompson.

Archie's wee experiment, and also his failure to sign a recognised centre half in the summer, has cost us dearly in recent weeks and will continue to do so. Piccolo affects the whole chemistry of the team and should be absolutely nowhere near our first eleven at this moment. Liam Lindsay would be better option and that's no exaggeration.

Right on the money, IMHO.

Anyone fancy chipping in and buying Belatoni some decent studs for his boots. How many times does he slide at the crucial moment ..........

For some reason that has been an unresolved problem ever since Balatoni started turning out for us (and before then?). The only time anyone on the management side has ever seemed to take it amiss was after a certain match at Culter. :o

• Members

I think replays will show it was Conrad that lost Thompson for the opener today. Gabriel was marking their Centre Back.

Bringing on Muirhead was the right decision I thought. With 2 defenders off the field, Archie probably thought he needed someone in there. Just not sure that Bannigan was the right guy to take off, would have gone for Craigen myself as we already had another 4 forward thinking players on the park apart from him. He gambled and it didn't pay off.

A lot of the players are really lacking in confidence at the moment, especially at home and I wonder how much the lack of a home win so far this season is having an effect on the side? Only 3 goals in 7 home games in the league so far. We need to find a way through packed defences. We're surely due a change of luck at home soon. Hopefully we wont have too long to wait.

• Like 1

I have a feeling that Archie believed that we should beat St Mirren comfortably, and that it was therefore a good opportunity to build up Piccolo's confidence.

Needless to say, the fact that they scored from their first corner saw that plan go up in flames.

I'm hoping that the guy can be a success, but I find myself thinking "Madaschi" when I see him anywhere near the ball, and that isn't a pleasant sensation.

From the highlights:

STONEWALLER penalty. The referee has robbed us there. Hope he's proud of the job he did and happy with his £800 for yesterday.

Doolan's miss in the 1st half wasn't as bad as I thought. He actually took it fast, and (as on several occasions) it got blocked by a defender. His turn and shot were also unlucky.

Balatoni: FFS sort out your studs!

I don't know what sort of masochist could bring themselves to watch those highlights.

Archie biggest mistake so far has been to overrate Piccolo and keep playing him. I hope he's learned from it after Piccolo's latest laughable performance.

A few more heavy defeats and the fans, including me, will start to be calling for Archie to go.

Archie biggest mistake so far has been to overrate Piccolo and keep playing him. I hope he's learned from it after Piccolo's latest laughable performance.

A few more heavy defeats and the fans, including me, will start to be calling for Archie to go.

We're 8th in the table in our first season back in the top flight for years. The manager fairly obviously played Piccolo because he thought it would be a 'soft' game to get a new defender up to speed. The loss was bad yesterday, but to be mentioning "calling for Archie to go" at this stage is pathetic (as is your previous comment "In fact I don't see us winning another game this season").

I hope someone is looking after your welfare because if you're this bad just now, I don't think you will cope with a dogfight if that's how things play out (and if it does, which is by no means for sure, that would be no shame to us as a newly promoted team on a v small budget).

Edited by ColinKelvin
  • Like 1

Can't believe some of the ridiculous comments on this forum,the most ridiculous Archie to go !!,said person would be better to support Sevco or it's Ugly Sister from the East End,Archie will make mistakes as he's been a manager for less than a year and obviously is still learning the job,everyone is looking for scapegoats Piccolo being the main one, but the other players are all culpable as well Balatoni,Muirhead and Fox all making mistakes which have cost us points,as long as they all learn we'll be fine

Edited by jlsarmy

I don't know what sort of masochist could bring themselves to watch those highlights.

Keep playing Piccolo? He's played 1 league game when the usual partnership was available.

Nonsense about wanting Archie gone, finishing 10th is a successful season, we're on track to do that or better. Get a grip.

• Like 1

Has anyone seen the highlights yet? We were well robbed by Beaton. Goodwin's handball is the most blatant you'll ever see. He should have been red carded whilst SOD committed nothing more than a clumsy foul which should never have received a 2nd yellow. We all know we should have capitalised again on our dominance yesterday but I'm convinced these 2 decisions by such an incompetent Ref cost us at least a point. Tonight's Sportscene should be interesting; I trust Thompson will be on (grinning like an idiot) as he only seems to appear when Saints haven't lost. As an aside due to some poor editing the highlights tonight will suggest they were all over us and no one will point out we completely dominated possession even when reduced to 10 men.

• Like 1

Archiess right to be playing Gabby, Conrad and Aero have been leaking goals all season and with our forward line not rattling goals on a regular basis as soon as we lose one goal we look done.

How many goals have we lost from corners, free kicks where our experienced pairing at the back have lost their man???

Can't believe some of the ridiculous comments on this forum,the most ridiculous Archie to go !!,said person would be better to support Sevco or it's Ugly Sister from the East End,Archie will make mistakes as he's been a manager for less than a year and obviously is still learning the job,everyone is looking for scapegoats Piccolo being the main one, but the other players are all culpable as well Balatoni,Muirhead and Fox all making mistakes which have cost us points,as long as they all learn we'll be fine

Agree we need to get a grip. If you have any jags blood running through your veins today is certainly not the time to call time on your support. I am one of the 1000 on a cold league cup night, I am one of the 2000 on a mid table 1st division match, I one if a 3500 crowd when we are top if the 1st division. Are you one of an attractive mid table SPFL premiership team? If not get off and wait until we have been relegated and are at the top of the roller coaster again after all you are a "real" jags fan after all!!! "Oh Maryhills is wonderfully ...."

Just watched the highlights on sportscene, conrad at fault for 2 goals so if you need someone to blame their you go instead of Gabby

True. I'm beginning to think Gabriel must be responsible for putting the studs in Conrad's boots both yesterday and up in Tannadice. Usual mad rush to find an acceptable scapegoat.

Watching the highlights and seeing the penalty incident close up, its unbelievable that the ref didn't point to the spot. He is in the perfect position about ten yards away from Higgy and that big cheating rat Goodwin. I though we were pretty poor and to lose by 3 goals to any team is disappointing, especially when we are the ones trying to play football every week.

Before the last 4 games (against top 3 in league plus St Mirren) I was looking at us getting three points and that's what we've got. Most folk probably expected us to win on sat but we'll lose games like this and pick up points other weeks when not expecting to, so I'm not hitting the panic button yet!

We need to mix things up a bit in the team and the guys who have lost their form will come good again hopefully. One of our strengths last season was our quick breaks forward whereas we now seem to be too slow and predictable at times. A few goals from our midfielders wouldn't go a miss and Doolan needs more support up there too.

It was always going to be tough this season and as long as we aren't in the bottom two come May then I'll be more than happy. Hearts will struggle to catch the rest and surely we are good enough to finish above County, Killie and St Mirren.

Players have been sent off for much less.

Who could ever forget the wee Hitler "referee" that sent off the Jags player against QoS some years ago.

You might say that we got lucky at Inverness a few weeks ago, so this time it was St Mirren who got the breaks (or the benefits of truly awful refereeing).

Players have been sent off for much less.

Who could ever forget the wee Hitler "referee" that sent off the Jags player against QoS some years ago.

You might say that we got lucky at Inverness a few weeks ago, so this time it was St Mirren who got the breaks (or the benefits of truly awful refereeing).

Well, to rub salt into the wound, Goodwin committed a clear yellow card offence soon after the penalty incident which would have seen him sent off, had the referee did his job.