January Signings

Lionel J. Botch

My only concern is that we talk a lot about Fraser and yet he hasn't featured in a game since the Motherwell away one IIRC. It does seem a bit strange to have him lauded as the Messiah when Archie never played him when he was here. I did think in the first few games he was excellent and indeed in many ways the stand out player but why has Archie failed to play him even when he has chosen Kerr in the midfield?

My only concern is that we talk a lot about Fraser and yet he hasn't featured in a game since the Motherwell away one IIRC. It does seem a bit strange to have him lauded as the Messiah when Archie never played him when he was here. I did think in the first few games he was excellent and indeed in many ways the stand out player but why has Archie failed to play him even when he has chosen Kerr in the midfield?

He was suspended for a good while, after an incident with the u21's.

to add: 9 Games, which ended the 1st of January.

Edited by Thistletilladie

Yeah but that was after being on the bench for quite a lot of games.

Archie seemed to go off him after the Hearts draw - Fraser gave the ball away leading to their equaliser. He was then subbed after an hour the next game against Motherwell, which we lost. Osbourne then started to get into the team and Fraser didn't feature again (I think).

Edited by mhs

He did well for Killie. Saw him play against our u20s and he was okay. He has been in the press recently stating he is fit and becoming frustrated at lack of game time.

He is reported in today's Scotsman as being a target for Hibs. He is also seeking £200,000 to cancel his iBroke contract of 4 years and £7,000 a week!

So a short term loan is a possibility, but unlikely, imo.

Agreed. If Shiels on £7k a week, he would surely want more than £200k to terminate a 4 year contract worth around £1.5 million. He is worth more to Rangers as a squad player than any deal that we or Hibs could offer. It's hard to see to the attraction of playing for Morton in a Championship relegation battle even if his father is the manager.

I'm not sure I'd be interested in a guy (Shiels) who has been playing at such a poor standard of football for the past few seasons.

Really hope we are getting someone in today as it will be a massive psychological boost ahead of such an important game.

My issue would be that he's not been playing in the first team recently. We got Muirhead and ATS from fourth tier teams recentky and they have turned out okay ;)

My issue would be that he's not been playing in the first team recently. We got Muirhead and ATS from fourth tier teams recentky and they have turned out okay ;)

True, but to be fair, both were standouts in their respective sides and they had a year (or 2 in the case of ATS) to adapt to our swashbuckling style of play before making the step up to the Premiership.

I see Killie have released the guy Ibrahim that they had signed from Celtic.

There's obviously something amiss with him for them to have released him but I though he was their best player when they played us at Firhill. Seems to have fallen out of the side since then, so I wonder what went on.

Based on the only game I've seen him play he would be a good signing, but there must be underlying issues so might not be the best bet.

Agreed. If Shiels on £7k a week, he would surely want more than £200k to terminate a 4 year contract worth around £1.5 million. He is worth more to Rangers as a squad player than any deal that we or Hibs could offer. It's hard to see to the attraction of playing for Morton in a Championship relegation battle even if his father is the manager.

But then the smarter player might consider the possibility of his team going into admin sometime soon (especially if they can't cut back on staff wages) and figure it's better to get out now with a decent pay-off than hang around and get nothing. Even in that scenario it's unlikely we could afford him.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I see Killie have released the guy Ibrahim that they had signed from Celtic.

There's obviously something amiss with him for them to have released him but I though he was their best player when they played us at Firhill. Seems to have fallen out of the side since then, so I wonder what went on.

Based on the only game I've seen him play he would be a good signing, but there must be underlying issues so might not be the best bet.

I thought that when I saw the BBC report as well. I thought he was brilliant against us, he was all over the park & seemed to be involved in everything

• Like 1

But then the smarter player might consider the possibility of his team going into admin sometime soon (especially if they can't cut back on staff wages) and figure it's better to get out now with a decent pay-off than hang around and get nothing. Even in that scenario it's unlikely we could afford him.

It's unlikely that Rangers will go into admin. They could raise more funds via a rights issue or borrow against Ibrox and Murray Park which were bought for a fraction of their value.

Sorry I forgot to add there was no mention of shields in the article and it looks like 2 players he is very keen to sign are Fraser and Dylan mcgeouch

If Osbourne is out long-term, Archie needs to sign a replacement for him. We also need another centre-back and, ideally, cover for ATS.

I am glad Archie isn't rushing in, but to be honest, I did expect at least one or two extra players to be added to the squad ahead of the Ross County game. If we get the three points, fair enough, but certainly don't want to wait to the last week in January and say to ourselves, "only if X had been brought in sooner."

We still need a defender to be brought in ASAP, and no player has really been mentioned in the rumour mill. They all seem to centre around midfield and attacking players.

It's unlikely that Rangers will go into admin. They could raise more funds via a rights issue or borrow against Ibrox and Murray Park which were bought for a fraction of their value.

That's complete rubbish ..., it's very likely that there will be a cash crisis at rangers shortly .... A players wages to turnover at 100% is hearts like and unsustainable

A rights issue is exactly what the institutional shareholders would not want as if means they put in more money for effectively a lesser return so most companies try to avoid that

And who is going to lend them money against a property asset ?!!

Rangers are simply into severe cost cutting mode