Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

I think I'd sign mcpake. Before hibs got truly awful he always seemed to be one of their better players. He's a bit more mobile than any of the centre halfs we've got aswell, which is why we've struggled at times this season. Any other centre backs that will be available with SPL experience are probably going to be similar to mair, and while he did a decent job, I think we need to avoid that type of player this year.

<p>

<br />

Never a good idea playing a right footer in the left back position.<br />

</p>

Nope Lenzie Jag, reading back we are definitely talking about right footers at left back. Bannigan played there due to his versatility but was wasted at left back, same as when he plays defensive mf. He did play right back for 45 mins, but that has nothing to do with how this thread developed.

Edited by flashman

The idea of playing Bannigan at left back may seem a bit of a waste. But as Sinclair proved, it can be a highly influential position. Now as it stands we have quite a few good midfielders. With Banzo and left back we could field Fraser, Welsh and Osbourne or something in the middle of the park. It could improve the overall qualty of the team as I think we are going to struggle to get a decent left back but centre mids are quite common these days with the old fashioned box to box type player no longer a fixture.

Shifting Bannigan to LB, although is an easy solution, is a waste if his talents. He's always been happy to play wherever asked but if he's constantly played out of his natural position he may well begin to look elsewhere. Having him and McMillan as back-up would be fine.

<p></p>

Nope Lenzie Jag, reading back we are definitely talking about right footers at left back. Bannigan played there due to his versatility but was wasted at left back, same as when he plays defensive mf. He did play right back for 45 mins, but that has nothing to do with how this thread developed.

Strictly, you are right. However, It would have a bit long-winded to say right footers at left back or left footers at right back. Unless, of course you think it is easier for left footers to play at right back ?

Edited by Lenziejag

Shifting Bannigan to LB, although is an easy solution, is a waste if his talents. He's always been happy to play wherever asked but if he's constantly played out of his natural position he may well begin to look elsewhere. Having him and McMillan as back-up would be fine.

If I remember right, Bannigan played at left back when Sinclair was injured and he was outstanding. Thought Sinclair would struggle to get back in.

I've no doubt Bannigan would do OK at left back but he played there at a time when ATS was still developing. Since then ATS became better all round (including at defending). Bannigan played there in the (former) 1st division and might struggle against some of the better premiership wingers - I think he's still not good enough in the tackle to be a regular full back.

He does have good attributes for the attacking side of the position - great stamina and energy, fair bit of pace but I think at the higher level he's just not good enough defensively to be a first choice full back.

Besides he is a far better midfield player - in fact apart from Welsh, who's injured, he's probably our best player at picking the ball up from the back and taking it forward and starting moves.

Edited by Mr Bunny

The idea of playing Bannigan at left back may seem a bit of a waste. But as Sinclair proved, it can be a highly influential position. Now as it stands we have quite a few good midfielders. With Banzo and left back we could field Fraser, Welsh and Osbourne or something in the middle of the park. It could improve the overall qualty of the team as I think we are going to struggle to get a decent left back but centre mids are quite common these days with the old fashioned box to box type player no longer a fixture.

I think Bannigan wouldn't be too pleased to have signed an extension to his contract and find himself not playing in his preferred position. It's crucial to his career that he develops all that potential he's shown in midfield. While it does his career no harm to play out of position on occasions thru necessity I don't believe playing him at left back for a prolonged spell at his age would be a fair solution.

Strictly, you are right. However, It would have a bit long-winded to say right footers at left back or left footers at right back. Unless, of course you think it is easier for left footers to play at right back ?

Fair comment.

I'd agree that ideally a left-footer would be playing LB and a right footer at right back. I don't think a left footer at right back is any better than vice-versa.

Hopefully from Thistle Weir upwards they are looking to develop genuinely two footed players that would be able to play either side equally comfortably. Not that this will help much for the coming season unfortunately.

http://www.rovers.co...ix-1572548.aspx

I don't buy that we are anywhere near the kind of wages Goodwillie is after but he'd be a great signing. What's the boy Slew that County had on loan like? I didn't see much of him at all.

Slew was garbage, all arms and elbows - scored his only goal against us as well.

Goodwillie would be good, slight attitude problem I suspect so maybe not fit in with our ethos. Can't see our wages even stretching to half of what Goodwillie expects/wants though!

Goodwillie would be good, slight attitude problem I suspect so maybe not fit in with our ethos. Can't see our wages even stretching to half of what Goodwillie expects/wants though!

Yip attitude is at a premium at Firhill. No place for the one bad apple or the Billy Big Boots approach. On or off the park it makes little.difference. That's not directly aimed at Goodwillie who may for all I know be a reformed character.

Yip attitude is at a premium at Firhill. No place for the one bad apple or the Billy Big Boots approach. On or off the park it makes little.difference. That's not directly aimed at Goodwillie who may for all I know be a reformed character.

That's an important point: while we want to bring in better players if possible we are still a small to middling team. The only way we can compete with the 'big boys' is by having a great team spirit (and finding the odd unexpected gem).

Too many clichés maybe .. :thinking:

Edited by Mr Bunny

If Goodwillie is going anywhere in Scotland surely it will be back to Tannadice?

I think Ratnamara and Co were unhappy with his contribution, especially considering he isn't/wasn't cheap by all accounts. Doubt they will want him back.

Edited by mhs

Just noticed that Farid El Alagui has been released from Brentford. Might be worth a punt if we can't get LT. Thoughts?

Would prefer LT but yeah, he would be a good back up if necessary. Didn't really get a chance at Tannadice. When we signed Taylor loads a Falkirk fans on P&B said that Farid was by far the better striker. That wasn't proven in the 2nd half of last season.

Don't rate Goodwillie that highly, would rather see money spent on someone else. Doubt we could afford the wages either.

What's the thoughts on attracting English league 1 players? Some cracking talent in that league, Alan Sheehan (Notts County) is a decent left back and I think is out of contract in the summer or Scott Laird at Preston.