Sunderland Game

Lambies Lost Doo

I'd take watmore in a heartbeat. Had no idea he was on loan last year. Thought he was a hibs youth. We looked decent e ough but sunderland were awful. Not sure about the centre halfs, nothin majorly wrong or right, just strolled through it. Big abdul looks decent. Christie sharp, keenan looked ok hope he handles the pressure well of being 1st choice left back now

• Members

Missed the first 35 minutes so the 10 minutes of the 1st half centre back I seen, I thought he looked ok tall and aware. The second half guy was a lot shorter but was all over their forwards when they had the ball. Neither was tested in the air in the hour or so of the game I saw. I'd be very worried if we were going to go into the Season with Keenan at full back. Promising, yes. But beaten far too easily in the time I saw him. Our Centre backs will be getting pulled all over the place covering for him if he's a regular. He's still got a lot to learn.

In the 55 minutes I seen, my MOTM tonight would have been Lawless. Much more like the player he was in the 1st. Hope he can carry it into the new season. Elliott dropping to left back for the last 10-15 minutes once again shows how versatile he is. He's turning out to be a great player to have around and looks like he's improving all the time as he gains more confidence.

Plenty of positives to take from tonight's game. I thought Bannigan, McMillan and Balatoni all looked sharp, and Keenan had a solid first half even if he faded quite badly in the second. It was also nice to see McDaid making an impact when he came on. But the main plus for me was Gary Fraser's performance. He absolutely bossed the midfield in the second half. His short- and long-range passing was exceptional. Also, he looked like a man who knew he was the best player on the pitch. There was a real swagger and confidence to his play. I think he could be really important for us this season.

On to the negatives. A few folk are clearly a bit short in terms of fitness, with Stevenson and Craigen in particular looking a bit rusty. The latter was pretty much anonymous. Also, I wasn't convinced by either trialist, but 45 minutes isn't much to go on.

Overall, pretty pleased with how things are shaping up. Just need to fill that damn LB position and get some cover in central defence.

• Members

Based on the only 60 minutes I've seen so far this season, I'm still struggling to see where Stevenson fits into the team if we play the same sort of 4-5-1 formation we usually play? I'd imagine the 3 in the middle of the centre 3 would be Osman flanked by Bannigan and Fraser. Higgy obviously on the left and then the only place I could see Stevenson playing would be on the right of midfield and I'm not sure how good he would be supporting the right back defensively, where as I've said on here often enough, I think the main root of our defensive problem lay last season. I don't think Fraser has the experience to play there and I reckon he's better for us further in anyway.

I suppose we could play 4 across the middle and sit Stevenson in just behind Dools. Still wouldn't be happy with support to the right full back though! It's going to be a very interesting team selection for Ross County next week that's for sure.

• Like 1

Stevenson and Craigen in particular looking a bit rusty. The latter was pretty much anonymous.

Nonsense, he ran his arse off and was involved in practically every positive attack we had in the first half. Twice running past the furthest man to receive a through ball. Involved in the goal, and played a peach of a through ball for Elliott that was eventually screwed wide.

I was more than happy with his performance.

Compare that to Higgy, who treated the game like a kick about in the park.

• Like 1

Based on the only 60 minutes I've seen so far this season, I'm still struggling to see where Stevenson fits into the team if we play the same sort of 4-5-1 formation we usually play?

If we're 4-2-3-1, he has to be the middle of the 3 behind Doolan. Meaning either Bannigan is on the left flank with Higginbotham on the right (Fraser-Osman as the 2) or one of Bannigan/Fraser/Osman is benched.

I'd personally like us to go 4-3-2-1, with Fraser-Osman-Bannigan behind Stevenson and Higginbotham basically in free roles behind Doolan.

Or, Bannigan could fill in at left-back for a bit...

Elliott dropping to left back for the last 10-15 minutes once again shows how versatile he is. He's turning out to be a great player to have around and looks like he's improving all the time as he gains more confidence.

I agree. Elliott puts in a ton of work that far too many fans don't appreciate. He'll never be first choice for any position he plays but as a bench player he is exactly what you need. He gets in people's faces, tackles quite well and is as direct as they get once on the ball.

• Like 1

Nonsense, he ran his arse off and was involved in practically every positive attack we had in the first half. Twice running past the furthest man to receive a through ball. Involved in the goal, and played a peach of a through ball for Elliott that was eventually screwed wide.

I respectfully disagree.

• Members

If we're 4-2-3-1, he has to be the middle of the 3 behind Doolan. Meaning either Bannigan is on the left flank with Higginbotham on the right (Fraser-Osman as the 2) or one of Bannigan/Fraser/Osman is benched.

I'd personally like us to go 4-3-2-1, with Fraser-Osman-Bannigan behind Stevenson and Higginbotham basically in free roles behind Doolan.

I could see the 4-3-2-1 being the preferred formation too TAT, but as I say, happy enough with the cover that Bannigan supplies the left full back, but i don't see who fills that role on the right and I think it'll be exploited again this season.

A few folk are clearly a bit short in terms of fitness, with Stevenson and Craigen in particular looking a bit rusty. The latter was pretty much anonymous.

I respectfully disagree.

i'd say potty is nearer the mark with respect stewarty. what i saw from jimmyc was a player who as pt correctly states ran his arse off, was involved in many moves (moreso where he was effective, made himself available and distributed the ball well, although there were still some misplaced passes and misjudgements), and was an important contributor to the opening goal. i'd say jimmyc was in our top 5 performers in the first half, so hardly anonymous.

or christie? :crazy: didn't look that out of place when he dropped back for last 15 minutes and looked reasonably comfortable (although game was starting to peter out by then admittedly, so can't be viewed as a "proper" test). he certainly has the stamina and speed to get up and down the wing if asked and is quite good with his tackling timing (not suggesting by any means he is the LB solution, but i've seen madder suggestions on this forum lately).

I respectfully disagree.

I can't see how you could've thought Craigen was anonymous. He did see a lot of the ball. He was tho' pushed further up the park, at times almost into a second striker role. James was tho' imo guilty of turning off at the corner leading directly to their goal. I'll forgive him as he's usually alert at those sort of situations (eg up at Inverness).

I thought the first half centre back looked more of a player but was impressed with the turn of pace the 2nd half lad showed on a couple of occasions. The latter was very much of the safety first persuasion, so rather hard to judge. Both made errors but to be expected given they're just drafted in. Any decisions will be based far more on how they do in training than tonight.

Meh, I thought he looked tired and off the pace. No biggie. As for Higgy - not much worked for him tonight but to say that he 'treated the game like a kick about in the park' is a tad harsh in my humble opinion. He pressed well and provided cover on the flank, as you would expect. His final ball wasn't there, but I didn't get the impression he wasn't taking the game seriously. In fact, he was quite vocal in the second half, shouting encouragement to Doolan etc.

Keenan was okay but still a work in progress. Also played a quick accurate ball in for the equaliser. Agree we need a more experienced left back to add to the squad but I'd be happy for Keenan to get his fair share of first team action.

Overall quite pleased with the players. Osman looks thr business never gave the ball away and strong in the challenge!

Quite an enjoyable game in my opinion. I was impressed with Osman and out of the two centre back trialists I though the first half one was the better option. Do we know which one was Zubar? If Archie can add the players he wants to before the end of August I don't think we would have anything to fear from teams like St Mirren, Killie, Hamilton, etc.

Quite an enjoyable game in my opinion. I was impressed with Osman and out of the two centre back trialists I though the first half one was the better option. Do we know which one was Zubar? If Archie can add the players he wants to before the end of August I don't think we would have anything to fear from teams like St Mirren, Killie, Hamilton, etc.

Apparently the second half sub was Zubar.

I assumed the 2nd half one was Zubar just from what little I knew about him.

Keenan's cross in for the goal was with his weaker foot, The lad has had to play centreback for the U20s and even on Monday night as a defensive midfielder Factor all that in and I believe we have a more than useful player in the making. His performance tonight kinda backs up what i said in an earlier post. I think he's maybe as much as a season short of being a first choice left back but I don't believe Archie would shy away from playing Dale in an injury/suspension mini crisis. If as I believe he has more than just potential it may well effect Archie's search for an immediate ATS replacement. He may just look short term or even for a loan player.