Stevenson

ian_mac

What is wrong with this guy?

We all remember him destroying us at Firhill last season whilst playing for Hearts. He did the same to other teams as well.

Very hard to believe that it's the same player who's signed for us this season. Yesterday I thought he was appalling. A real lack of effort which has been present in most of his games.

He looks to me like a player who doesn't want to be at Firhill. If that's the case I would say we have a real problem on our hands, as he's probably one of the biggest earners at the club.

• Like 2

IF the playing budget was increased as we are led to believe it looks like a large portion of it was spunked on one player, who came along with a reputation but clearly doesn't give a toss.

Is he starting all the games because of the large weekly wage, because it sure isn't earned on merit. No way he should be near the starting 11 on current form and attitude.

Needs dropped and told that his attitude stinks. Does he even have an assist yet?

IF the playing budget was increased as we are led to believe it looks like a large portion of it was spunked on one player, who came along with a reputation but clearly doesn't give a toss.

Is he starting all the games because of the large weekly wage, because it sure isn't earned on merit. No way he should be near the starting 11 on current form and attitude.

Needs dropped and told that his attitude stinks. Does he even have an assist yet?

So far he's a no-goal striker and a no-assist midfielder. He must be offering something to the team……. it's just that nobody can tell what it is!

What is wrong with this guy?

We all remember him destroying us at Firhill last season whilst playing for Hearts. He did the same to other teams as well.

Very hard to believe that it's the same player who's signed for us this season. Yesterday I thought he was appalling. A real lack of effort which has been present in most of his games.

He looks to me like a player who doesn't want to be at Firhill. If that's the case I would say we have a real problem on our hands, as he's probably one of the biggest earners at the club.

I'm wondering if him being on way more money than the rest of the team is causing problems of the park, watching highlights of the last few games, we don't seem to be a unit any more

Whatever way you look at it, the management have to take responsibility for signing Stevenson. I remember when we signed him and there was a thread about it with a link to a video interview and it was fairly obvious he still wanted to be at Hearts.

As for his fitness, it would be no surprise if "Stevo" as he was once called likes the high life of pubs, clubs and fast food etc, can't think of any other reason that he is washed up at 30.

Don't really blame Stevenson, I mean, whose going to look a gift horse in the mouth?

I thought he'd be a good signing but then when you start looking at his stats you begin to realise why Hearts maybe decided to cut him loose & perhaps why he ended up with us as maybe didn't have the options we thought he did. I'm sure money talked also.

He's scored 5 goals this year. All of which came in the last month of the season. 2 against us the day we had the meltdown at Firhill at April & 3 against a Killie team start of May.

A better attacking midfield goals record than Craigen granted, but doesn't look as though he had the energy to make the runs into the box.

I think most worrying is the gap in midfield accommodating Stevenson. Craigen tho' not the answer will get back and help out defensively. Like Fraser tho' not as accomplished James has energy galore and gets around the park with ease. Stevenson can't and I don't think the errors creeping into Bannigan's game are coincidental. Yesterday I thought it got worse as not just Banzo (who has looked shaky of late) was getting caught out thru isolation but also Osman. That's a new and most unwelcome development.

Playing two attacking wide players really requires more mobility in the centre role behind Doolan. Stevenson can't offer that. To be fair to the guy he never could. Altho' poor yesterday you could still see Stevenson look more like in sync with the others when we went two upfront.

Bar from midfield injuries Stevenson's performances to date don't even warrant his automatic inclusion never mind building a team round him. Unlike I'm sure others I'm less concerned about his captaincy/leadership qualities. I'm more worried about how our midfield looks like crumbling since Stevenson has been deployed in his current position.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

The thing I'm most concerned about is not necessarily the wages he's on. It's that his contact has the option for a 3rd year. He's been an active step back. We needed someone like Erskine, who is willing to make the runs and confuse centre-backs and defensive midfielders, but alas, he's doing infuriatingly well for Dundee United at the moment. Even someone like Michael Gardyne would be preferable behind Doolan to what we have just now.

Craigen over Stevenson every day of the week for me. Craigen has had some terrific assists in his time at Thistle, he's a good young player and with a run of games, I've every faith he'll come good.

Jimmy C will give you a shift everytime, he's young has appetite, would be head of stevenson for me everyday too......... until stevenson proves why we signed him

• Like 1

on Facebook a few weeks ago somebody said he was on 2k anybody know if this is true?

From what I'd heard, last season, Fraser was our top earner on 1600 a week.

Which I don't have an issue with, if we can afford it. Between 1500 and 2500 is going to put you in the wage structure to compete with the teams around us.

But bear in mind, St Mirren's wage budget is 1500 to 2500 and their aim every season is break even and survival.

I can't pretend that I make a detailed assessment of opposition players. I did watch the League Cup Final on TV last year in the company of an about to be former friend who was a Jambo, quietly rooting for St Mirren. Stevenson was the danger man, driving Hearts forward - I think he scored and also hit the bar. He also scored two good goals for Hearts at Firhill towards the end of last season. He threfore seemed like a good signing, a powerful goal-scoring midfielder - just what we needed.

I hadn't put him down as a world-beater though and was a bit surprised at the almost universal enthusiam on this forum for his signing. I then picked up that one of the reasons he apparently signed for Thistle rather than Dundee was that he had lost his driving licence - in fact Stevenson had been three times over the limit...driving a car in that condition is quite frankly disgraceful behaviour. Archie had often been quoted as saying that any signing had to fit in with the squad...Stevenson hardly seemed like a model professional who looked after his fitness.

The word from Hearts supporters seemed to be that they were not that disappointed he was moving on and I also read a perceptive blog on the internet - not written by The Cup or Gibberish - suggesting that Stevenson raised his game for big occasions but could otherwise be anonymous.

We played very well in our opening game against Ross County inspired by wonderful passing by Gary Fraser. Even then, we were commenting at the game on Stevenson's performance, particularly his lack of mobility. I have since seen him against Hamilton, Inverness & St Mirren(twice) - he has been woeful, slow, lazy, lacking in basic fitness, unable to link up the play and with a poor attitude. The reports I got from away games were that he was a waste of a jersey.

I have also heard a completely unsubstantiated rumour that there is some disquiet in the dressing room about how much he is being paid. No idea if there is any truth in this. It has certainly been noticeable that Doolan has looked out of sorts - he can't have been pleased at being dropped to allow Stevenson to play poorly and out of position.

Whatever, Stevenson has to step up his game considerably - we don't have many options and can't afford to waste our budget on a waster.

Edited by Winter of '63
  • Like 1

The thing I'm most concerned about is not necessarily the wages he's on. It's that his contact has the option for a 3rd year. He's been an active step back. We needed someone like Erskine, who is willing to make the runs and confuse centre-backs and defensive midfielders, but alas, he's doing infuriatingly well for Dundee United at the moment. Even someone like Michael Gardyne would be preferable behind Doolan to what we have just now.

Oh joy, what a comfort to know that we will have Stevo plodding about, plying his trade with us for years to come.

I can't pretend that I make a detailed assessment of opposition players. I did watch the League Cup Final on TV last year in the company of an about to be former friend who was a Jambo, quietly rooting for St Mirren. Stevenson was the danger man, driving Hearts forward - I think he scored and also hit the bar. He also scored two good goals for Hearts at Firhill towards the end of last season. He threfore seemed like a good signing, a powerful goal-scoring midfielder - just what we needed.

I hadn't put him down as a world-beater though and was a bit surprised at the almost universal enthusiam on this forum for his signing. I then picked up that one of the reasons he apparently signed for Thistle rather than Dundee was that he had lost his driving licence - in fact Stevenson had been three times over the limit...driving a car in that condition is quite frankly disgraceful behaviour. Archie had often been quoted as saying that any signing had to fit in with the squad...Stevenson hardly seemed like a model professional who looked after his fitness.

The word from Hearts supporters seemed to be that they were not that disappointed he was moving on and I also read a perceptive blog on the internet - not written by The Cup or Gibberish - suggesting that Stevenson raised his game for big occasions but could otherwise be anonymous.

We played very well in our opening game against Ross County inspired by wonderful passing by Gary Fraser. Even then, we were commenting at the game on Stevenson's performance, particularly his lack of mobility. I have since seen him against Hamilton, Inverness & St Mirren(twice) - he has been woeful, slow, lazy, lacking in basic fitness, unable to link up the play and with a poor attitude. The reports I got from away games were that he was a waste of a jersey.

I have also heard a completely unsubstantiated rumour that there is some disquiet in the dressing room about how much he is being paid. No idea if there is any truth in this. It has certainly been noticeable that Doolan has looked out of sorts - he can't have been pleased at being dropped to allow Stevenson to play poorly and out of position.

Whatever, Stevenson has to step up his game considerably - we don't have many options and can't afford to waste our budget on a waster.

Hmmmm.

If even a portion of the - many - unsubstantiated rumours are true...................

Like the majority I agree Stevenson needs to get his act together.

I do not believe its entirely down to him why we have been so poor. He was captain when we beat the 2 highland teams. Stevenson was off before st mirren got their penalty.

Questions can also be asked of several players including fox who's performances are not really linked to Stevenson.

As for James craigen don't think anyone criticises his endeavour or fitness. Yes he has scored goals while Stevenson hasn't but in what must be about 60 appearances the 2 goals were in the first division. He has probably helped 5 or so goals. I'm guessing as a rough he has played about 60 times for the jags obviously not as a starter in maybe half but still think 2 goals is not a great return more certainly than Stevenson but still had a lot to prove he is a good enough spl player and he still could do with getting a few goals in the spl.

Besides with so many gloom merchants saying we are doomed for relegation who's to say Stevenson won't do well there.

So from me disappointment in Stevenson but it is not just down to him where we are there are a number of things wrong both on and off the pitch and I don't think Beattie, maxwell etc are blameless either when its came to setting budgets or giving out statements such as we can afford Lyle Taylor type players and compete with anyone else

Edited by Third Lanark

The club had trialists for weeks before deciding against them. Why was not the same with Stevenson?

Probably because he played a blinder against us at Firhill, scoring multiple goals. Along the same lines as Baird signing - he scored a hatrick against Archie at Firhill.

In all seriousness, I think we did jump in too quickly for him as he doesn't seem to fit in with our team and he isn't offering us much so far.