January Window

ayrshire jag

Don't disagree with much you wrote but would say our bank debt negligible. I'd also argue the league win & Euro final in a bygone era that we'll be lucky to see again. All of them a good 10 years before the national team last qualified for a major tournament so that probably says it all.

They might have a good cup run but let's face it, a lot of that (cup runs) down to luck off the draw & luck on the day. One off games we keep being told by the media. They beat a first division team -Ross Co- last time they won it 5 years ago.

Average attendances would bring Hearts & Hibs from Div 1 as well as Motherwell, Dundee & a good few others who it's been said we haven't lost a player to.

Their money & selling young players I agree. That's why I said that I can see an O'Donnell moving on for a fee if he joined them.

Dundee United are pushing for Europe, thats an attraction for a player, they have twice our home attendance, another appeal for a player, plus pay far more than us

They might have a good cup run but let's face it, a lot of that (cup runs) down to luck off the draw & luck on the day. One off games we keep being told by the media. They beat a first division team -Ross Co- last time they won it 5 years ago.

I'll take you up on this point. It doesn't stand up to scrutiny that in 87 Scottish Cup and League Cup Draws since October 1971 Thistle have not had the luck of the draw.

We are better than that. I'll happily take a Scottish Cup Final against a lower division side any year you care to name. DrossCo and QoS are two who I would gladly swap places with for what they have achieved within the last ten years. Our standards and expectations need to be higher than what we have been meekly accepting since Jesus was a boy.

Since 1971, Dundee United, St Johnstone, Dundee, Kilmarnock, St Mirren, Hibs, Hearts, Raith Rovers, Motherwell, Aberdeen and Livingston have won domestic trophies, and in addition, QoS, DrossCo, Fake Thistle, Dunfermline, Falkirk, Airdrie and Ayr United have all had national finals to look forward to. In some cases more than once.

And yet we continue to trot out this mantra that we are a small club, with the least budget and accordingly we are not in a position to compete?

Otherwise we can consign ourselves to the bin named 'survivors but only just'.

• Like 1

To pick up on AndyMac's point, the club was woeful in finding talent on our own doorstep for about 30 years and I'm delighted there are signs that is being addressed.

I'm unsure that it has- & before the usual suspects come on & berate for having a go at their beloved Archie- it's not him at fault here.

I'm aware that the manager & his asst take in a good number of games every month to find players & chase up on recommendations from agents but do we have a scouting system in place between ThistleWeir level & agents recimmendations?

As far as I'm aware Bobby Dinnie never has been replaced.

How many lower league uncut gems are we missing out on to sign journeymen like Ecclestine to warm the bench? In all seriousness, his wage especially could've been put to s better use if he's not going to get played!!

Dundee United are pushing for Europe, thats an attraction for a player, they have twice our home attendance, another appeal for a player, plus pay far more than us

Take your point about crowds but Europe for DU, like many Scottish clubs, lasts a fortnight in July!! Seeing the Accues game last night & our game vs then 2 weeks ago shows that JM still very naive defensively with his teams. Not a recipe for a successful run in Europe.

As an aside, perhaps telling that Norwich poached Alex Neil rather than him if plumping for a SPL manager outwith top 2!!

Also, from what I've heard, aside from a couple of top earners at DU, there are not many outwith our top earners wage bracket.

Edited by Bleeding Gums Murphy

I'll take you up on this point. It doesn't stand up to scrutiny that in 87 Scottish Cup and League Cup Draws since October 1971 Thistle have not had the luck of the draw.

We are better than that. I'll happily take a Scottish Cup Final against a lower division side any year you care to name. DrossCo and QoS are two who I would gladly swap places with for what they have achieved within the last ten years. Our standards and expectations need to be higher than what we have been meekly accepting since Jesus was a boy.

Since 1971, Dundee United, St Johnstone, Dundee, Kilmarnock, St Mirren, Hibs, Hearts, Raith Rovers, Motherwell, Aberdeen and Livingston have won domestic trophies, and in addition, QoS, DrossCo, Fake Thistle, Dunfermline, Falkirk, Airdrie and Ayr United have all had national finals to look forward to. In some cases more than once.

And yet we continue to trot out this mantra that we are a small club, with the least budget and accordingly we are not in a position to compete?

Otherwise we can consign ourselves to the bin named 'survivors but only just'.

And Gretna !

That said, we had a cup semi final in 2002 (not that long ago) and had we drawn Ayr instead of Rangers we might well have had our cup final .... luck of the draw ?

McNamara is planning a move for Partick Thistle right back Stephen O'Donnell, and hopes to land the 22-year-old in January. (Daily Express)

It would be a poor decision by the club to sell SOD now. Fair enough if he leaves at the end of his contract, or even signs a PCA but we have no cover for him at all.

How many lower league uncut gems are we missing out on to sign journeymen like Ecclestine to warm the bench? In all seriousness, his wage especially could've been put to s better use if he's not going to get played!!

You keep bringing up Ecclestone as if it was obvious he'd be a pish signing, but every signing is a gamble. Look at the strikers - who could have been described as "lower league uncut gems" picked up by those around us:

Callum Ball (St. Mirren) - failure.

James Marwood (St. Mirren) - failure.

Jake Jervis (Ross County) - failure.

Lee Miller (Kilmarnock) - failure.

Josh Magennis (Kilmarnock) - failure.

Luka Tankulic (Dundee) - failure.

David Clarkson (Dundee) - success.

I don't remember many of us were clamouring for Clarkson at the start of the season. Ecclestone seemed like he was worth a shot, but for whatever reason it hasn't worked out.

Edited by ThickAsThieves

More concerning is the sttory in the ET this morning. The loan players we have been looking at are ineligible. Not sure it's the manager's job the know the rules. I would have thought it was someone's ....

I would expect the manager and his assistant to know the rules. Are the rules not part of the coaching badge courses?

You keep bringing up Ecclestone as if it was obvious he'd be a pish signing, but every signing is a gamble. Look at the strikers - who could have been described as "lower league uncut gems" picked up by those around us: Callum Ball (St. Mirren) - failure. James Marwood (St. Mirren) - failure. Jake Jervis (Ross County) - failure. Lee Miller (Kilmarnock) - failure. Josh Magennis (Kilmarnock) - failure. Luka Tankulic (Dundee) - failure. David Clarkson (Dundee) - success. I don't remember many of us were clamouring for Clarkson at the start of the season. Ecclestone seemed like he was worth a shot, but for whatever reason it hasn't worked out.

I, and others, got pelters from the "insiders" (especially Red Monkey and Dark Passenger) for highlighting Eccleston's woeful scoring record when he signed for us. They even suggested that he had a similar record to Lyle Taylor (if only!) when he signed for us. If, as reported on here, Eccleston is one of the highest earners at the club, we are entitled to question the judgement of those who decided to sign him.

Edited by kni

I like on this forum how it is fine to slag off people who are new into the club but ones that have been about for a while are on sacred ground and can't be touched. I don't think anyone really knows whats happened with the Eccleston thing, he hasn't had the chance at all and when he was briefly came on he has actually looked quite good - fast, strong, powerful shot, even scored a goal. Clearly there must be some sort of behind the scene issue or attitude problem. Maybe Archie will fix it, maybe not. But to call Eccleston a dud is a bit far.

I would expect the manager and his assistant to know the rules. Are the rules not part of the coaching badge courses?

Give in. Are the rules part of the coaching badge courses?

I'll take two guesses. First as the rules change on a regular basis being proficient in them at the time of attaining one's badge would be as useful as Dick Campbell's technical area.

Secondly, and it's hardly a guess as I'm fairly sure I read it elsewhere, but I think you'd find this would come under Ian Maxwell's remit. Hardly a real surprise as he's general manager of a football club

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

You keep bringing up Ecclestone as if it was obvious he'd be a pish signing, but every signing is a gamble. Look at the strikers - who could have been described as "lower league uncut gems" picked up by those around us:

Should clear up that I think Ecclestone not really been given a chance.

When I talk about lower league I mean Scottish lower leagues.

Quite possibly more often than not they'll be described as a failure but the wages outlay not as great as someone like Ecclestone.

There's St Johnstone taking a punt on the boy from Spartans.

Ecclestone's signing baffles me only on the alleged wage he's receiving & not being given a chance.

He was signed at the very end of the window when the manager already had Stevenson as main striker & Doolan in reserve.

Did we need 3 central strikers (not even counting Elliot or Duggan who could've stepped up) when only playing one striker?

Mark Wilson in for SOD could work in my opinion if a decent offer came in for him.

No idea how Wilson has got on since returning to them but he was a very good full back not too long ago.

I know he had a few injury problems but 20 odd games in 3 seasons for a player the wrong side of 30 a bit if a risk imo.

I would say however that if he's been released by mutual consent then chances are he's got something already lined up somewhere!!

The revisionism on this forum is staggering. Archie was being lambasted in the close season for not signing every player going and now folk have the audacity to question whether the players we did sign were needed. These delusions that we shouldn't be losing players to other teams in our league makes it blatantly obvious that some folk live in cloud cuckoo land.

• Like 1

More concerning is the sttory in the ET this morning. The loan players we have been looking at are ineligible. Not sure it's the manager's job the know the rules. I would have thought it was someone's ....

Nothing to do with knowing the rules. It's just information not available to us until we contact the relevant club. From the article it seems players we are after have already been out on loan the maximum times allowed per season (as regards loans between countries, they'd still be allowed on loan to another English club).

Remember, we're not talking Premiership clubs here whose every move is plastered all over the media, we're talking small clubs in England and I wouldn't think any club in the SPL has details of every move players of every English club has made. Probably not even other English clubs would have this info. It's more likely we were just unlucky.

Also - the management are being open about this, probably to reassure fans that they are searching for players but they shouldn't have bothered, they're getting slagged off anyway.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Hi Kni. You also received dogs abuse for slagging Osman as a trialist and Seabourne. That was in addition to being given pelters for your transfer "targets". Just thought i'd be up front .

Typical nonsense from you. I never slagged off Osman and just pointed out that he played as a trialist before signing. I did not slag off Seaborne's ability either. My concern was that did not have a proper scouting network, proven by the subsequent Thistle Weir advertisement.

Now please tell us if you stand by your previous claims that Eccleston and Carroll were quality signings to replace Taylor and ATS. I agree with Murphy that Eccleston has not had much of a chance but accept the manager's decisions not to pick him.

Edited by kni

Sounds like Dundee United are stepping up their move for SOD. Be a shame if he leaves, especially with the McMillan situation. Always been a big fan of his despite being a bit weak mentally. The horrid abuse he received from the poster Ian Mac and Dave J didn't help.

Actually think Christie Elliott could make a great right back. He did really well at left back for the second half of the Motherwell game, after Banzo got tore to shreds.