Dundee United

ThickAsThieves

I find all the doommongers' opinions on incredibly boring and depressing. We're doing as well as we've done in my 20 odd years supporting the club, have a settled back four with decent depth in reserve. We've just narrowly and undeservedly lost against one of the country's best teams, while missing probably our 2 best players.

I can understand and respect criticism when it's constructive and deserved but not when it's just predictable, repetitive and ill-informed griping. People have to accept that a team like ours is not going to win most weeks. It's really that straightforward and to compare us unfavourably to Hamilton is idiotic in the extreme. They're having a freakishly good start to the season - that doesn't mean we should be able to keep up with them and the idea that we should based on our respective wage structures (that I strongly doubt anyone on here knows the first thing about) is absolutely laughable.You're only kidding yourselves.

We all want the team to do well. Get behind the management. 'Mon the Jags.

• Like 2

I find all the doommongers' opinions on incredibly boring and depressing. We're doing as well as we've done in my 20 odd years supporting the club, have a settled back four with decent depth in reserve. We've just narrowly and undeservedly lost against one of the country's best teams, while missing probably our 2 best players.

I can understand and respect criticism when it's constructive and deserved but not when it's just predictable, repetitive and ill-informed griping. People have to accept that a team like ours is not going to win most weeks. It's really that straightforward and to compare us unfavourably to Hamilton is idiotic in the extreme. They're having a freakishly good start to the season - that doesn't mean we should be able to keep up with them and the idea that we should based on our respective wage structures (that I strongly doubt anyone on here knows the first thing about) is absolutely laughable.You're only kidding yourselves.

We all want the team to do well. Get behind the management. 'Mon the Jags.

A well argued post, but there are two things to pick up on, if I may.

Hamilton's start is probably not freakish, they've merited everything they have achieved on the field of play, including taking the champions on their own patch - whatever happens from here they will likely finish top 6 with the points they have accumulated to date.

Secondly, those of us who have followed the Jags cause for longer than you (in my case for 48 years), have had the benefit of tasting a little bit more 'success' in terms of top division security. I fully believe that our current management team is capable of delivering that security, but I do fear for the football club if we go back downstairs. It is crucial that we stay up and consolidate a la St Johnstone, St Mirren and Kilmarnock.

Edited by Barney Rubble

Just watched the penalty highlights on spfl YouTube channel - imo Gallagher would of saved that penalty...

And yes, he should have been off his line quicker to help seabourne

wasnt a great penalty think foxs main problem is he seems to take far too long to make a decision he looked in two minds wether to come off his line or not then the penalty he looked as if he was gona dive 3 different ways instead of making a decision and sticking to it

just seen it on Sportscene, shocking decision by the linesman cost us the points and Seaborne red card. Surely the linesman has to ask the ref if the Thistle player touched it instead of just assuming he did and costing us the match.Sickened by that decision.

I see the standard is equally is bad in the St Johnstone game, the ball looked nowhere near over the line and FIFA ref Craig Thompson gave it.

Offside he was but Conrad was so slow and pretty much sold out Seabourne. Also why did Conrad or Seabourne not half Cifci outside the box, same result red card but no penalty. And finally what the hell was Scott Fox doing at the penalty, a danceathon ?

Edited by Pinhead

I hate when our fans clap an opponent player that used to play for us off the park. Fair do's clapping him before the game, but when a player gives his all to win against us, why applaud him?

Complete opposite with me tho' I respect your opinion. I would've been fair scunnered if for instance Mark Roberts had left the field to silence when we played Ayr three or four seasons ago. What's the difference anyway, clapping the ex player before the game? He's still gonna be giving his all against us.

Like Roberts before him without Erskine we wouldn't have gained promotion. More than worthy of an ovation both before and after a game. Never while the *******'s playing tho'. :D

• Like 2

A well argued post, but there are two things to pick up on, if I may. Hamilton's start is probably not freakish, they've merited everything they have achieved on the field of play, including taking the champions on their own patch - whatever happens from here they will likely finish top 6 with the points they have accumulated to date. Secondly, those of us who have followed the Jags cause for longer than you (in my case for 48 years), have had the benefit of tasting a little bit more 'success' in terms of top division security. I fully believe that our current management team is capable of delivering that security, but I do fear for the football club if we go back downstairs. It is crucial that we stay up and consolidate a la St Johnstone, St Mirren and Kilmarnock.

Can I ask, in those 48 years, how often have we come away with anything from Tanadice ?

It's fair game to criticise the management after the St.Mirren and Kilmarnock games (and to an extent Hamilton, but events since have proven different) but the fact is that even if we had Mourinho as manager and Simeone as his assistant, we would still get nothing from Tanadice or Pitodrie. It is a long time since any manager kept us in the top flight for 2 seasons running and Archie is well on his way to doing just that.

True, he has made some tactical errors (what manager hasn't)

True, the squad could use more depth (what squad doesn't)

Overall, he has earned the right to a bit of slack and while we are 6 points clear of relegation can't be accused of doing badly.

Can I ask, in those 48 years, how often have we come away with anything from Tanadice ?

It's fair game to criticise the management after the St.Mirren and Kilmarnock games (and to an extent Hamilton, but events since have proven different) but the fact is that even if we had Mourinho as manager and Simeone as his assistant, we would still get nothing from Tanadice or Pitodrie. It is a long time since any manager kept us in the top flight for 2 seasons running and Archie is well on his way to doing just that.

True, he has made some tactical errors (what manager hasn't)

True, the squad could use more depth (what squad doesn't)

Overall, he has earned the right to a bit of slack and while we are 6 points clear of relegation can't be accused of doing badly.

For the sake of clarification, my post was in support of the management, despite the issues you allude to.

My point is that Hamilton are proving (so far) this season that the 'small budget' mantra should not be taken as a given for continually ending up in a relegation fight. It's use of that budget and how astutely the resources are managed and deployed that make the difference. Granted, a team with Thistle (or Hamilton's) budget are unlikely to win the league, but it should not be taken as a given that you have to meekly accept mediocre performances or results. As I said previously, Hamilton are already well on the way to finishing top 6 this season barring a catastrophic loss of form.

I don't think it's unreasonable to aspire to Thistle finishing top 6. However, we need to improve on shut-outs and home wins. Winning successive league games would be a step in the right direction for a start. Can we agree on that at least?

As for positive results at Tannadice, the only ones that spring to mind without the history book to hand are the 1-0 win in 94-95, and the 2-2 draw a couple of years earlier when Calum Milne scored one of his two Jags' goals. We've a truly rotten record up there.

For the sake of clarification, my post was in support of the management, despite the issues you allude to.

My point is that Hamilton are proving (so far) this season that the 'small budget' mantra should not be taken as a given for continually ending up in a relegation fight. It's use of that budget and how astutely the resources are managed and deployed that make the difference. Granted, a team with Thistle (or Hamilton's) budget are unlikely to win the league, but it should not be taken as a given that you have to meekly accept mediocre performances or results. As I said previously, Hamilton are already well on the way to finishing top 6 this season barring a catastrophic loss of form.

I don't think it's unreasonable to aspire to Thistle finishing top 6. However, we need to improve on shut-outs and home wins. Winning successive league games would be a step in the right direction for a start. Can we agree on that at least?

As for positive results at Tannadice, the only ones that spring to mind without the history book to hand are the 1-0 win in 94-95, and the 2-2 draw a couple of years earlier when Calum Milne scored one of his two Jags' goals. We've a truly rotten record up there.

Sorry, I misunderstood your original post and agree with what you say (other than Hamilton finishing top 6 - I think that they'll be found out soon)

I always had you down as being in the 40-50 age bracket having followed Thistle for most of that time. And yet the post above comes across as someone who has never followed thistle, never mind football in general!

I'll take your age bracket with thanks.

I'd also add, that perhaps being slightly older than your suggestion, I'm one of those who are maybe more cynical than most about the way things are going at the moment having seen it all before on more than one occasion.

It strikes me just now that PTFC are, for the first time in many years, in a position to kick on here when you consider that one of the Ugly Sisters is near bankrupt again.

However for one reason or another, we seem as a support, on the whole, to be happy with 10th.

We're in a better position financially than most in the league in that we're breaking even. But, Hamilton have stolen a march on us, Killie also have kicked on despite behind the scenes turmoil & imo Dundee coming from 1st Division/Championship also.

I guess in the run up to Xmas we'll have a better idea of where we are but like I said, for me the naïvety of the team & certain decisions made leave me dubious to whether Archibald has the necessary experience still to be the manager who takes us to the next level(relative terms).

He's scored in two of our last four games.

He also missed a far easier chance against St Mirren that would've probably seen us home & clear at HT.

Like I said, I'm a Doolan fan & maybe it's more to do with tactics in terms of players getting in the box to support him or even others scoring to take the pressure of but I'm not convinced at times. Nor obviously is the manager or he wouldn't be paying the wages of someone like Ecclestone ahead of giving Duggan some game time.

Edited by Bleeding Gums Murphy

I'm one of those who are maybe more cynical than most about the way things are going at the moment having seen it all before on more than one occasion.

I'm a Doolan fan...but I'm not convinced at times.

Then I'm surprised you're not completely sold on Kris. You of all people are surely aware of the contribution he's made to the club in his time here compared with those who've gone before.

I don't think Archie's lost faith in him, but it's prudent to have another striker of similar quality on the books to lighten the burden on him. I never saw Lyle Taylor as his replacement, nor do I expect Ecclestone to be. They were/are alternatives.

Edited by Dark Passenger
  • Like 1

• Members

With regard to Hamilton, it's important to remember that the bulk of that team has played together for a good number of years now since they were very young kids and then add to the mix that they are also very good players, it's easy to see why they have done well this season. Wages don't really come into it when your playing alongside a bunch of guys who have been your best mates since they started playing kids football.

When we played them the season we won the Championship a couple of years back, even then when they were a very young side you could see there was something there. They strengthened their side last season by signing 2 of Livvy's best players, a couple of guys that a few people here suggested we sign prior to last season. A couple of injuries and suspensions and a run of bad form could put the brakes on their season a bit, but that just doesn't look like happening at the moment.

I only hope that our youth initiative can start to bear the fruits that Hamilton's have over the last 10 years or so.

• Like 2

I'll take your age bracket with thanks.

I'd also add, that perhaps being slightly older than your suggestion, I'm one of those who are maybe more cynical than most about the way things are going at the moment having seen it all before on more than one occasion.

It strikes me just now that PTFC are, for the first time in many years, in a position to kick on here when you consider that one of the Ugly Sisters is near bankrupt again.

However for one reason or another, we seem as a support, on the whole, to be happy with 10th.

We're in a better position financially than most in the league in that we're breaking even. But, Hamilton have stolen a march on us, Killie also have kicked on despite behind the scenes turmoil & imo Dundee coming from 1st Division/Championship also.

I guess in the run up to Xmas we'll have a better idea of where we are but like I said, for me the naïvety of the team & certain decisions made leave me dubious to whether Archibald has the necessary experience still to be the manager who takes us to the next level(relative terms).

He also missed a far easier chance against St Mirren that would've probably seen us home & clear at HT.

Like I said, I'm a Doolan fan & maybe it's more to do with tactics in terms of players getting in the box to support him or even others scoring to take the pressure of but I'm not convinced at times. Nor obviously is the manager or he wouldn't be paying the wages of someone like Ecclestone ahead of giving Duggan some game time.

You seem to be saying that Archie isnt experienced enough to takes us on, but on the other hand it is down to individual errors? that have meant we aren't winning games. To me that is a bit of a contradiction

Good post.... No reason why we can't be mid table and safe