Safety ?

Dick Dastardly

The issue surrounding home and away games could prove potentially a problem - after Saturday we will have played 17 home games and 16 away games but if the other 5 in the bottom 6 are Hamilton, Kilmarnock, Ross, Motherwell and St. Mirren - we have already played all of them, except Kilmarnock, twice at Firhill.

So it would appear that unless in the remaining 5 games we play 4 away and one at home (overall that would mean playing 18 home games and 20 away) there will have to be some "manipulation" to see us play one of the other bottom 6 teams 3 times at Firhill and only once away - which, to my mind, is scarcely a fair way of potentially deciding a relegation play-off position. Conversely playing 18 home and 20 away (or indeed 20 home and 18 away) is also potentially unfair.

Of course it might not come down to being "crucial" but it does potentially expose the flaws in the artificial splitting of the division.

Edited by JeanieD

Interesting post Jeanie D. I think they will definitely have to give us at least 2 home games out of the 5. I don't think it's anything for us to worry about though, if anything it's a disadvantage to the other teams. I for one am absolutely delighted that Hamilton are in the bottom 6. They have been truly woeful since Neil left and it's hard to believe it's even the same team.

Doping scandal anyone?

The split has zero per cent sporting integrity and is the last remnant of the old self preservation league, borne out of financial desperation. Would never be allowed in any right-minded footballing nation. It should be scrapped asap.

I like the split, and it's hardly the last remnant of the SPL. I'd be careful calling Belgium not "right-minded" either, they're fourth in the latest FIFA rankings.

I like the split, and it's hardly the last remnant of the SPL. I'd be careful calling Belgium not "right-minded" either, they're fourth in the latest FIFA rankings.

Remember we're only in this mess due to the "SPL2" threat at the start of the century. The SPL expansion from 10 to 12 was a bribe for votes, nothing less. The real problem which needed addressed was how to remove the "fear factor" for the mid level clubs who were often isolated for decades, faced with the most difficult promotion route in Europe and denied a fair share of the sponsorship revenue.

The solution back then was desperate and hasty, but it probably had to be done, one step at a time and all that. I'm saying it's well past time for the fixture list imbalance to be addressed.

I had a look at those Belgians. They are right minded. The fixture lists are perfectly balanced home and away for every team, before and after their split. I see Northern Ireland follow our model. We're down with the diddy nations on this one.

Listen, we're all enjoying the end of season drama where the bottom sides are all playing against each other in the battle to avoid the play-off - it's the one really good aspect of the split.

But let's not get deflected - we don't need a split to make that happen.

When positions are known, just ahead of the final round of fixtures, the "SPFL computer" would be perfectly capable of gerrymandering top half / bottom half clashes for the final League games of the season.

Recently, the dismantling of the SPL was the best thing to happen to Scottish football in years, albeit it could only be achieved with the simultaneous disbanding of the SFL. The formation of the SPFL was a clear step forward nonetheless, embracing ideas that seemed impossible just a decade ago – namely a fairer distribution of wealth, the re-introduction of top-flight play-off and the introduction of a pyramid system which, in my opinion, will only develop further and deeper with every passing year.

In my opinion, they still have further to go on wealth redistribution and the previous closed shop mentality still has repercussions – we've been left with an ungainly 12-10-10-10 formation, with the ongoing top-flight conundrum standing as the pink elephant in the room.

It needs sorted pronto.

Edited by The Jukebox Rebel

The Legend appears to have blown his last breath!!

with his pish stained pants avatar and posts like these in this thread alone, let's hope he has.

Ultimate Partick Thistle realist me. Would rather tell it how i see it, rather than living in rose tinted fairy land. If i'm proved wrong then marvellous but lets get real. Celtic will beat us tonight and unfortunately on Saturday Motherwell probably will as well.

Writing is on the wall folks. Been nice in the SPFL while it lasted but after we're relegated by Rangers through the play offs it's time for Archie to go. Wonder if there's a plan B for sustaining our wage structure a league down. 2 games v Hibs won't cover it.

Watching St Mirren vs County. St Mirren are so rotten if we don't beat them we deserve a playoff place to be honest. A win against St Mirren will give us 41 points and will pretty much guarantee us safety. Let's hope its the first game of the split, would like to play them before they are confirmed as relegated.

They are confirmed as in the bottom two if they lose tonight.

Although the past cannot be changed, the two home losses v St Mirren this season were criminal.

Thankfully, with the way Archie has transformed the team, not to mention that they appear to have given up, makes it pretty certain there will be no repetition after the split.

Feel for all St. Mirren fans tonight. There's no worse feeling in the world than watching your team chuck it in the manner they have. We did it ourselves 2 years in row back in 04 and 05. Soul destroying.

That said, I think a few people on this thread should learn a lesson from what's happened at St. Mirren. They can deny it all they want but there were plenty of them calling for Danny Lennon's head last season. They thought they had a divine right to be a top 6 team and look at them now. Be careful what you wish for jags fans.

• Like 3

Feel for all St. Mirren fans tonight. There's no worse feeling in the world than watching your team chuck it in the manner they have. We did it ourselves 2 years in row back in 04 and 05. Soul destroying.

Yes, as jags fans we've all experienced the terrible lows and I don't bear St Mirren as many grudges as I do some clubs .

Read this article a few weeks ago by Tom English which apart from calling Danny L a failed manager pretty much nits the nail on the head of how not to run a club and what type of players to sign . I think Archie has frustrated a lot of times with how long he waits to make a signing but when you look at how St Mirren went about their business it makes perfect sense.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/32240531

Ideally we want to start the bottom 6 fixtures against Hamilton & St. Mirren. The 2 worst teams in the league atm & games we should take 6pts from making us safe.

Seeing their performance against Dundee Utd I'd say they are still capable of beating us (and other teams around us) - Utd really stole that one. Hopefully though as they must be pretty safe they may feel they have nothing to play for. Actually, it may be to our advantage if they get a bit of form. Apart from the first game we handled them OK when Neil was still in charge (3-3 at their ground) but I think they could take points from the teams below us.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Seeing their performance against Dundee Utd I'd say they are still capable of beating us (and other teams around us) - Utd really stole that one. Hopefully though as they must be pretty safe they may feel they have nothing to play for. Actually, it may be to our advantage if they get a bit of form. Apart from the first game we handled them OK when Neil was still in charge (3-3 at their ground) but I think they could take points from the teams below us.

Don't think you can judge them on a game against United. They've chucked it for the season in the same way St. Mirren have. The worrying thing for Hamilton is that they couldn't beat United in the state they are in.