Safety ?

Dick Dastardly

Don't think County's situation is exactly the same as Morton. Rae pumped a lot of money into them but little (if any) of it was used to properly develop the club. He blew his money on players to get them up the leagues quick but didn't seem to have a proper plan even doing that so it ended up wasted and the club in a worse state than when he started.

County at least sem to have the basics in place, a decent wee ground (let's face it Cappilow is and has been for years a dump) with a decent support and don't appear to have any money problems. OK without their sugar daddy they probably would have been regulated a couple of years back but when his money runs out they will still be a decent, well run club - though probably in a lower division. My point being that sure there's a guy that pumps money in but the folk who run the club have ensured it is run OK and will be in future. they just won't always be able to buy their top league position.

don't disagree with there being a difference between county and morton / mcgregor and rae, mr b, or most of what you say.

was on phone earlier, so was only a quick and short post. hence why, like ian mac, i mentioned also mileson, as he was more rae than mcregor (pumping in money for success on park, and (like rae) promised upgrade of ground, improvement to club structure for longterm future, but never came through on promises. with rae, he is even worse than mileson, as he has ensured mortons debt to golden casket piles up at a rate of several hundred thousand a season (i'm told it's now well over £2m, likely £2.5m by end of this season), by signing duds like novo, o'connor and employing managers like duffy (common consensus among morton support according to a mate of mine is if morton get promoted it will be despite of the handicap of duffy (as he hasn't a clue), not because of the bald headed wonder), and for all the money rae has spunked and keeps spunking, success on the park has been predominately absent. but duffy is only the latest in a long line of abysmal managerial appointments and wasted money by rae, a chairman who apparently not only decides who the club signs a lot of the time, but also interferes in team selections.

county are fine with no obvious money problems while mcgregor is there, but when he goes, yes the club may have a better ground and structure after his tenure, and yes they may survive fine if run well by someone else though likely in lower division, but if there is hidden skeletons or substantial off the books debt or soft loans for example, then the scenario mr mac suggested, may come to fruition. less likely than morton yes, but hearts, dunfermline, livi, dundee and others are all recent examples of clubs who've suffered admin from financial mismanagement, then there's the clubs like rangers who were liquidated and died as they took the stance of we aren't tax payers (or payers of the newsagent, face painter, engraver, picture framer or st johns ambulance and 270 other creditors they stiffed over) . if macgregor is genuinely writing off hundreds of thousands a year then fair enough, but either way when the gravy train stops, county will need to address the financial quagmire that will inevitably come their way on their potential longterm sustainability (which i think was the original point mr mac was making).

Edited by yoda-jag

• 2 weeks later...

I expect both Motherwell and Ross to win midweek. Saturday game is going to be massive. Three of the 4 teams in the play off place are playing well, Killie aren't and with Aberdeen and Celtic to come for them before the split, it could be incredibly tight come 5.00 next Saturday! Still think we will be safe if we beat Motherwell next Saturday

Edited by Lindau

I expect both Motherwell and Ross to win midweek. Saturday game is going to be massive. Three of the 4 teams in the play off place are playing well, Killie aren't and with Aberdeen and Celtic to come for them before the split, it could be incredibly tight come 5.00 next Saturday! Still think we will be safe if we beat Motherwell next Saturday

Can't disagree, unlikely as it seems I would love for Killie to be in the play offs.

This coming Tuesday is massive. County at home to StJ who need a point or two to secure a top-6 place. 'Well at home to StM who are fighting for their lives. StJ will sit in, which is County's preferred tactic. They won't like that. I expect a low score, even 0-0. I also expect StM to put up a fight. So I don't expect both County and 'well to win. Midweek could be good for us, even if we lose at Sellic which we probably will.

Killie got themselves to a position of relative safety then relaxed and started thinking about their summer holidays. Started losing to teams below them, and as a consequence may find themselves on a run of 4 successive defeats going into the playoffs. They will then wake up and do enough to survive. By losing to our competitors, they've made it easier for us to hit 8th, but also to hit 11th. It's getting interesting...

Killie are really pish aren't they?

To clarify - their defending for the second goal v Motherwell reminded me of our defending v Ross County in the February game. I don't know if they are pish in a more general sense, but I haven't been impressed by them when we've played them and our results against them have been attributable to our own deficiencies as much as any perceived quality in their side. I'm not at the 'misplaced confidence' state yet.....

Lindau,

I want to believe!

If we beat Motherwell next Saturday, is that definitely the end of relegation worries?

If the midweek results go against us but we beat Motherwell on Saturday we will still be 7 points clear of them, with a vastly superior goal difference as well, going into the split, which in reality means they would have to win at least three of the split games with us losing all of ours, for them to overtake us. As I said, Saturday is a massive game for both clubs, no matter what happens over the next few days, though both the Saints winning in midweek would be a helluva boost!

Edited by Lindau

If the midweek results go against us but we beat Motherwell on Saturday we will still be 7 points clear of them, with a vastly superior goal difference as well, going into the split, which in reality means they would have to win at least three of the split games with us losing all of ours, for them to overtake us. As I said, Saturday is a massive game for both clubs, no matter what happens over the next few days, though both the Saints winning in midweek would be a helluva boost!

This is what I believe. Regardless of what goes on elsewhere, if we beat Motherwell on Saturday I don't see us being caught.

I don't envy Archie when it comes down to his team selection for Wednesday night.

Think we have to go with same 11.

Go with the attitude that it's a free game & although we need to get in their faces, nothing silly a la Banzo in cup game.

Injuries part of the game but if we were to lose someone for Sat due to stupidity & a red card suspension then that would almost be unforgivable.

Alberts Ghost- Wish I had your optimism. I think Mwell a cert to beat St Mirren & Ross Co to beat St J who seem to have gone of the boil last few weeks & were perhaps a little fortunate to get a result Sat against the league's recent form whipping boys.

As such I'll be putting a 50p bet on both Mwell & Ross Co to win in the hope that my recent form at the bookies continues!!

Wouldn't you simply go with the same team again, given their excellent defensive record and their high confidence of late? Taylor on from the start if Dools unfit.

Think we have to go with same 11.

Go with the attitude that it's a free game & although we need to get in their faces, nothing silly a la Banzo in cup game.

Injuries part of the game but if we were to lose someone for Sat due to stupidity & a red card suspension then that would almost be unforgivable.

I certainly wouldn't be advocating wholesale changes and I can't see Archie changing the back five. He only made one unforced change on Saturday so he's obviously happy with the same eleven (Taylor for Dools no doubt being a forced change). He did tho' alter the formation after Taylor came on. So if the set up has to be changed to accommodate Taylor he might change (rest?) a player or two.

Put another way if the fixtures were the other way round and we were playing Motherwell tomorrow I think Archie would play the same team, even if some were carrying minor knocks. But with the far more important game on Saturday he'll want his preferred eleven as fresh as possible for that match.

Agree with BGM re discipline. From what I've seen of Celtic to get on top of them you need to get in and about Scott Brown. That carries the additional worry of a flare up or the likes and a straight red.

• Like 1

Bizarrely enough I am looking forward to this. Got a freebie in the Sellik main stand with a Sellik supporting mates season ticket. We are going there in good form and really have nothing to lose (tho an absolute drubbing wouldn't be appreciated!!)