James Craigen

Not sure this deserves its own thread but I think James deserves the recognition. Gets a fair amount of stick but his positional sense, ability to win the ball back and work rate is sensational.

Our record in games Craigen has started this season is P16 W6 D5 L5 Pts 23. Without him its P14 W3 D2 L9 Pts 11.

A very underrated player in my opinion.

• Like 1

Well said.

Has been made this seasons scapegoat by many on here, and seems to be an easy target, whilst other players are seemingly immune from criticism.

Played well today, and was the player who had our only first half shot on target.

Definitely a starter for me.

I don't personally feel in this case at least the stats are that important. I think most of us are well aware of what James brings to the table. Very difficult under our normal system to accommodate both Stevo (when he's not played up top) and Craigen in the same starting XI, but it's refreshing to see both players do well under the current narrower set up.

Probably will have to line up a bit wider to have any chance against Aberdeen and Celtic. If that's the case I'm not so sure that it will necessarily be James making way.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

The game was wide open in the first 15 minutes, Craigan was instrumental in how well we were playing.

Their left back was getting the freedom of the JHS side.

Archie changed it to 4-4-1-1. putting Craigan to right midfield in a man marking roll. He was immense. The boy hardly got a sniff after that.

It nulified a lot of our own attacking pace and movement, but it was a sacrifice worth making.

Hats off to the boy, he had a great game today.

Cragsy is a weird one, the stats don't lie but at the end of the day I don't think he would be a pick in our strongest 11, depending on the form of Higgy and Fraser who are better players but have been absolute mince this season.

Our strongest midfield would be Bannigan, Osman, Stevo Higgy/Fraser, Lawless, but as Higgy and Fraser have been poor Craigen has got his chance. I've never been the biggest fan of Craigen as he doesn't really seem to have an impact on games, he doesn't score enough, gives the ball away often and doesn't really impose himself on a game, maybe it's the unseen work he does that's best I'm not sure. Some times I think is the likes of him, Elliott, Balatoni the reason why we're not top six as they just aren't good enough, then other times I think are they any worse than the likes of what St Johnstone or Dundee or Hamilton have? Maybe he/they are just Thistle level players but I think we can do alot better. Good on him though, I'm loving that he's getting the chance and Archie is sticking by him.

I really like him. Works hard, never hides, completely unselfish and allows the rest of the team to play. Can look a bit sloppy at times but the good points definitely outweigh the bad.

Without him the team can look at bit static.

Edited by allyo

Cragsy is a weird one, the stats don't lie but at the end of the day I don't think he would be a pick in our strongest 11, depending on the form of Higgy and Fraser who are better players but have been absolute mince this season.

Our strongest midfield would be Bannigan, Osman, Stevo Higgy/Fraser, Lawless, but as Higgy and Fraser have been poor Craigen has got his chance. I've never been the biggest fan of Craigen as he doesn't really seem to have an impact on games, he doesn't score enough, gives the ball away often and doesn't really impose himself on a game, maybe it's the unseen work he does that's best I'm not sure. Some times I think is the likes of him, Elliott, Balatoni the reason why we're not top six as they just aren't good enough, then other times I think are they any worse than the likes of what St Johnstone or Dundee or Hamilton have? Maybe he/they are just Thistle level players but I think we can do alot better. Good on him though, I'm loving that he's getting the chance and Archie is sticking by him.

Twisting that around a bit but I doubt we'll come away from a match saying "without James Craigen we'd never have won that game". But it's the work he does behind the scenes that creates the opportunities to enable others to shine as match winners. Team game and surely even James's biggest critics wouldn't describe him as not being a team player. Another way at looking at his contribution would be to credit his decision making, which is rarely at fault. The final product may often not be there but I doubt that's any worse than our more gifted players who tend to make more poor decisions.

I think there are probably 2 areas that he could improve on. One is his shooting - it is usually pretty weak, although today's attempt in the 1st half was quite good. Secondly is his strength. I think he is weak in challenging and gets brushed off the ball too easily

Agreed, but should he improve dramatically in both those areas (a bit like Roy Keane but without the nastiness) then the big boys would come sniffing around and take him away :wall:

MY mate has always stuck up for him when I was decrying him (he will always remind me of the Morton goal) but I've seen the light and now realise what an asset he is to the team, and he always comes across as a thoroughly decent guy.

Well said.

Has been made this seasons scapegoat by many on here, and seems to be an easy target, whilst other players are seemingly immune from criticism.

Played well today, and was the player who had our only first half shot on target.

Definitely a starter for me.

both he and Stevenson have been made this seasons biggest scapegoats. Agree with your points about craigen the only irony is that and a few others have it in for Stevenson in your otherwise valid point about some having it in for James. The ones having it in for James as far as I'm concerned are wrong making him a scapegoat in the same way you wanting thistle shot of Stevenson and never giving the guy a chance is also completely wrong IMO

His work rate means that both Osman and Banzo don’t get pulled out of position all the time. James does a lot of the hard work so our shape is better.

As a poster says above he needs to improve his shooting and his upper body strength. He is good at getting himself into shooting positions and if he could convert more of these opportunities he would secure his place in the team.

Stand by what I said months back. He has the potential to play at the top level. His fitness levels are scary and his work rate phenomenal. Makes all the right runs. A wee bit of composure in front of goal and with the final ball, and he's an all round player.

The people who were slating him? I think they are hiding in the same place as those who were wanting Archie sacked.

The game was wide open in the first 15 minutes, Craigan was instrumental in how well we were playing.

Their left back was getting the freedom of the JHS side.

Archie changed it to 4-4-1-1. putting Craigan to right midfield in a man marking roll. He was immense. The boy hardly got a sniff after that.

It nulified a lot of our own attacking pace and movement, but it was a sacrifice worth making.

Hats off to the boy, he had a great game today.

Don't be bloody stupid. Archie never changes things and hasn't a clue.

We could have won 5-0 yesterday if it wasn't for him and his terrible tactics and poor substitutions.

Sack him now before it's too late.

I think there are probably 2 areas that he could improve on. One is his shooting - it is usually pretty weak, although today's attempt in the 1st half was quite good. Secondly is his strength. I think he is weak in challenging and gets brushed off the ball too easily

Not so concerned re his strength as his energy levels more than compensate. Valid criticism all the same.

I agree re his shooting. His two footedness is something he could capitalise on. At the same time I'd be very surprised if James doesn't practice hard on his weaknesses.

There's a miserable git near where I sit that spends all day criticising Archie and making homophobic innuendos about him and Craigen. He was utterly pathetic yesterday, the pinnacle being when he started ripping into Craigen when Stephen O'Donnell *won* a throw-in while Craigen was marking a player at the other side of the pitch.

Said punter left with 10 minutes to go and missed Lawless' goal. Get it up him.

I like Craigen he kind of sums up the past three years for me where the sum of the parts are much more than the individuals. With most of the Championship winning team you could spend a lot of time on their individual deficiencies however no one can question their spirit, commitment, bottle and desire to succeed for this club. The knockers simply think it is fair play to overlook these qualities and degrade the Graigens, Elliot's, Ballatonis etc as completely worthless.

I"ll never do that and will overlook their deficiencies until the club can afford to upgrade.

• Like 1

both he and Stevenson have been made this seasons biggest scapegoats. Agree with your points about craigen the only irony is that and a few others have it in for Stevenson in your otherwise valid point about some having it in for James. The ones having it in for James as far as I'm concerned are wrong making him a scapegoat in the same way you wanting thistle shot of Stevenson and never giving the guy a chance is also completely wrong IMO

I gave him a chance Third Lanark. My point at the end of the first quarter was that he hadn't performed to the level that he could, and had done before joining us. Maybe I was just expecting too much. Part of the problem was him getting played out of position but part of it was being lazy and unfit. But I'm big enough to admit that he has improved and now has more good games than bad ones.

Unfortunately it doesn't appear that those who slate Craigen week in week out can do the same.

I gave him a chance Third Lanark. My point at the end of the first quarter was that he hadn't performed to the level that he could, and had done before joining us. Maybe I was just expecting too much. Part of the problem was him getting played out of position but part of it was being lazy and unfit. But I'm big enough to admit that he has improved and now has more good games than bad ones.

Unfortunately it doesn't appear that those who slate Craigen week in week out can do the same.

you haven't given him a chance especially when branding him lazy and unfit - he never has been as Archie always said he is the first to arrive for training and the last to leave. It may have taken him a while to settle in. Incidentally James craigen said in the programme interview that he thinks Stevenson has been a really positive influence on him since he came to firhill and one he is learning a lot from and has therefore helped a little in James improving though its James own hard work and dedication that is primarily doing that.

I do agree with you about the ones who still won't give craigen a chance or won't admitting to saying they got it wrong. Unfortunately IMO you fall Into that same exact situation with regards to Stevenson

you haven't given him a chance especially when branding him lazy and unfit - he never has been as Archie always said he is the first to arrive for training and the last to leave. It may have taken him a while to settle in. Incidentally James craigen said in the programme interview that he thinks Stevenson has been a really positive influence on him since he came to firhill and one he is learning a lot from and has therefore helped a little in James improving though its James own hard work and dedication that is primarily doing that.

I do agree with you about the ones who still won't give craigen a chance or won't admitting to saying they got it wrong. Unfortunately IMO you fall Into that same exact situation with regards to Stevenson

You obviously didn't read my full post, or you would have seen me admitting that he's improved and has more good games than bad.

Incidentally, I wasn't alone in my evaluation.