Celtic 09/08/15 Match Thread

potty trained

I notice a lot of folk say he shat out of the tackle leading to their goal. Even though he won the ball cleanly and powerfully. It was that power that led to the deflection landing so far away, behind him.

I like to give players the benefit of the doubt but I can't agree PT. The last thing you do in that position is blast it straight at the guy in front of you, knowing that there's no cover in your position behind. Either a diagonal across the field or straight out of play, the simple thing.

My criticism of Miller isn't to do with his workrate or effort. His positional sense was sadly lacking on Sunday and it was plain to see that Izaguirre had the freedom of the left flank every time he crossed the halfway line in the first half. He needs to work on that and from his improvement in the second half, it seems that Archie had a word to that effect and he took note. Let's hope it's a case of him getting up to speed.

I actually hope mate we use any money from yesterday to get a 3 year deal for Henry :-)

an excellent notion. the lad is obviously destined for england and although everton used to be known as 'the bank of england club' if they can land him on the cheap they will not hesitate to do so. i can actually envisage a bidding war involving any number of clubs down south for there is something hansenesque about young jack

I know it's a while back but if we can afford to give Gary Fraser a 3 year contract we should be getting these two signed up ASAP and advise them that if an acceptable offer comes in, the likelihood is that they will be allowed to go. We are leaving ourselves open to losing these guys, especially Hendry, for a pittance.

Still think we can beat them, and rope-a-dope style tactics is probably the way to go. It'd be a long ninety minutes to try and frustrate them but I do think we have the personel to do that. However, it requires a great team effort, organisation and understanding. Benefit of the doubt, it's early doors and we have new players still getting to know each other. It's an inevitable problem for the gaffer with a small-ish squad and limited budget.

Some were saying it's good to get this game out the way early, but i reckon it came too soon for us to make a decent competitive contest. Sunday, I don't think the players fully understood the brief. Containing a team does not mean standing off them and allowing them to play. I think we probably did show them too much respect and did not have sufficient confidence when in possesion.

However, I can understand some hesitancy, given we were starting the game with half a team that have not been first team picks for very long. That's not to say they are any worse or better than what we had, but teams do need time to settle and familiarise. Pre-season is the alloted time for trying to prepare this but in time hopefully it will improve.... Helps too if players don't get sent off and suspended in the first competitive match.

Stevenson ain't the front man for success. Would love to talk to Archie about this. It's gotta be Dools, unless Pogba proves his worth. Agree with Ian Mac, about "slap in the face".

We shouldn't need a hold up man with guys like Amoo and Lawless who have decent pace and should be able to break quikly and (at least with Lawless, Amoo we dunno yet) aint afraid to come in off the wing looking for runners. Holding the ball up only allows them to organise defensively. We should be looking to find space in behind them (it is there), play through balls and run on to them at pace. The have got plenty pace at the back too, but if we can work on one or two moves and recognise some of their frailties then we could gain an advantage.

Celtic were cruising and could have stepped it up if required. But they are very much the big fish in the small pond, and absolutely still very beat-able.

Can understand people saying this aint box office stuff. But at this stage of the season, quite confident of improvement and reasonably content with what Archie has managed to put together so far.

We'll see how it progresses.

:fan:

The first goal was a fluke.He just stuck out a leg as the ball was going behind him. Brilliant technique my a**e

I disagree. One of my, okay, my only trick when I was a lad (left wing) was that when a long ball was being played slightly behind me, instead of slowing my run I'd time it so the ball was about a foot behind me and then flick it on and over the defender's head using the outside of my right foot using a similar technique to Rogic yesterday. Usually, that way I still had most of my pace and the beating of the defender. With a bit of practice it's not a difficult thing to do and if I can manage it effectively then I'm sure a modern international footballer shouldn't have many problems.

the we've got 3 games in 6 days theory is bullshit for so called professional athletes .

Firstly, they're not "so called professional athletes", they are professional athletes, it's a pretty indisputable fact.

Secondly, that theory is not bullshit, there's plenty of data backing it up, though the effect is more pronounced in sports with more punishing schedules. The level of professionalism or athleticism is irrelevant, it's due to the tiredness relative to your opponents. You see the effect at the very highest levels of sport. Aberdeen and Hamilton will have a slight advantage at the weekend for having their mid-week match postponed.

It is easy in hindsight to say who should have started instead. However, I also was a bit surprised that Ryan Stevenson started again as lone striker. I think it was always going to be difficult with the 3 youngsters.

I think the changes I would have made to the starting line up would have been Stevenson for Wilson and Doolan up top

I disagree. One of my, okay, my only trick when I was a lad (left wing) was that when a long ball was being played slightly behind me, instead of slowing my run I'd time it so the ball was about a foot behind me and then flick it on and over the defender's head using the outside of my right foot using a similar technique to Rogic yesterday. Usually, that way I still had most of my pace and the beating of the defender. With a bit of practice it's not a difficult thing to do and if I can manage it effectively then I'm sure a modern international footballer shouldn't have many problems.

Firstly, they're not "so called professional athletes", they are professional athletes, it's a pretty indisputable fact.

Secondly, that theory is not bullshit, there's plenty of data backing it up, though the effect is more pronounced in sports with more punishing schedules. The level of professionalism or athleticism is irrelevant, it's due to the tiredness relative to your opponents. You see the effect at the very highest levels of sport. Aberdeen and Hamilton will have a slight advantage at the weekend for having their mid-week match postponed.

Got to absolutely disagree, guys at the highest level like Messi /Ronaldo play double the amount of games our players do , think Messi played 67 games last year and we're throwing it out there they might get tired or jaded playing 3 games in 6 days and we're only in the first month of the season.
  • Like 1

When I heard the team on the radio I honestly felt like turning the car around and going back home.

That was dreadful. I know we should never expect to pick up anything from Celtic however to play with no attacking aim whatsoever is an embarrasement.

What doea archie see that every other thistle fan doesnt?! Surely it has been proven time and time again that stevenson is not a striker. Its like stepping back a year ago saying that!

Thought the first 30 mins we were along them to much time on the ball and allowing to pass it around at their leisure. It was only really a matter of time before they scored.

Miller looks a very poor signing. As slow as a week in the jail and doesnt look at all comfertable on the ball nor in defence. He should have went right throught the ball (and izagirre) for the first goal when the ball was on the wing however chose to sh*t out it and then we are 1-0 down.

Wilson looked lost all day. Couldnt pass a simple ball and just wanted rid of it as soon as he got it. Not seen anything to think he can make it and how he managed to last 90 mins il never know i can only assume lawless was injured.

Pogba looks a decent find however I feel he will be a frustrating player but good to see someone out the opposing central defenders.

The two central defendera looked decent. A couple of stray passes but nothing major.

Really need to try get at least one win over the next two games.

Where you at the game clarencegarter? I suspect you were watching from your leather settee. Wilson looked lost all day? He was my man of the match. Miller slow? He was fast and looks like a right good replacement for O'Donnell. Lawless had to be pulled, he was useless. Think you need to go to Specsavers young man!

Where you at the game clarencegarter? I suspect you were watching from your leather settee. Wilson looked lost all day? He was my man of the match. Miller slow? He was fast and looks like a right good replacement for O'Donnell. Lawless had to be pulled, he was useless. Think you need to go to Specsavers young man! ������

Evidently took a knock but not getting much out of Stevie was one of the biggest disappointments. Left Stevenson isolated.

Where you at the game clarencegarter? I suspect you were watching from your leather settee. Wilson looked lost all day? He was my man of the match. Miller slow? He was fast and looks like a right good replacement for O'Donnell. Lawless had to be pulled, he was useless. Think you need to go to Specsavers young man! ������

Wilson is a good young player, but I think he had more misplaced passes than anyone else in the team on Sunday (I didn't count btw, just my impression). Regardless, he certainly wouldn't have been my MotM. Sure he will make a decent contribution to the side over the season though.

Wilson is a good young player, but I think he had more misplaced passes than anyone else in the team on Sunday (I didn't count btw, just my impression). Regardless, he certainly wouldn't have been my MotM. Sure he will make a decent contribution to the side over the season though.

I agree. I mentioned to my son about half way through the second half that Wilson hadn't made one decent pass and had wasted several opportunities to put a good ball in.

Was always keen to get involved though, which was one pleasing aspect of his game.

• Members

After a nervy start I thought Wilson finished the game well. Took on opponents and beat them in midfield a couple of times as the game wore on. Also, I can't believe the amount of criticism Miller is getting for letting Izaguerrie (sp?) get so much space. Miller is there to look after forward players. Midfielders, wingers look after the attacking full back.

• Like 4

After a nervy start I thought Wilson finished the game well.

Gotta be minded that Wilson was playing out of position. With the absence of Elliott and Amoo reportedly not fully fit, David was preferred to McDaid. Some may see that as a negative move, others won't. Maybe the introduction of Amoo and Fraser freed him up a bit but I too thought he finished the game playing a lot better.

After a nervy start I thought Wilson finished the game well. Took on opponents and beat them in midfield a couple of times as the game wore on. Also, I can't believe the amount of criticism Miller is getting for letting Izaguerrie (sp?) get so much space. Miller is there to look after forward players. Midfielders, wingers look after the attacking full back.

Izaguerre was the attacking player at the time though......

With that logic, every time Van Dijk came forward, everyone but Stevenson should leave him alone. If you get the chance to watch the game again, watch how far inside Miller is standing in the first half when Celtic switch the play to their left side. He's not looking after anyone at this point. One of the reasons Lawless was so ineffective was that he had to try to play the full back role until Miller was tempted out of his central position. Anyway, that game is out of the way and as I said before, he was clearly reminded at half time and did improve in the second half - so that's a positive.

I feel like the first 2 games have shown that we need another wide player. Someone who can play 'wide midfield' but not an out and out winger. Playing Bannigan and then Wilson out of position in the first 2 games have shown we are short there.

• Like 1

Where was Lawless when Izaguirre broke? Nowhere. He was every bit responsible for the loss of that goal as Miller for gifting Izaguirre the freedom of the JHS Side.

Also, I can't get my head around the praise lavished on Abdul in this thread. He was culpable for our failure to press Celtic for the first 35/40 minutes. Probably more than any other player.

• Like 1

Even feckin' Killie can score against them ---- twice!

Just watched their highlights.

Fair play to Megennis he did well for his goal, but some degree of bad defending by Ambrose who didn't play against us.

Pogba had a similar chance for us as Megennis's goal, ball played across the 6 yard box, where he made the wrong run late and made Van Dijk's job easier than it should have been.

And a last minute penalty after ronnie's rebels had a the ball in the net for a third time but marginaly offside. The killie player just does enough to out pace Izzigurre into the box and stops running. We'd all shout for it, but... It's not much of a foul. Shame ref's aren't so Black and white with decisions relating to handballs.

Shots on goal stats, and the final result may show Killie made more of a fist of it than we did, but I think there are some reasonable arguements/excuses as to why. Old firm east end are cruising just now. They got an early goal and took the foot off the gas. Killie scored in the last minute of each half, which is commendable for keeping going, but looking at possession stats they are identicale to our game.

Doolan from the start and subbed for Pogba second half would have been my plan.

We can beat the tims.

:fan: