Striker Signing This Week.

La Scimmia Rossa

STV Journo Laura Brannan on twitter:

Alan Archibald says Partick Thistle have been looking to bring players in but missed out on one this week they thought they were getting.

He says he'd be surprised if any players leave before Tues. He's heard Jack Hendry to Everton rumours but that's it, he'll be in Sat plans.

Clearly, we don't know the ins and outs of why this particular player hasn't signed, however it is indicative of a clear theme: that of Archie having to work within tighter and tighter financial constraints. It is apparent to everyone that we are a weaker team this year compared to last, whilst teams around us (with the exception of Killie) do appear to have strengthened.

I am not going to ask the board to spend silly money on players, to 'push the boat out', or 'speculate to accumulate', but I would seriously question whether the board are giving Archie the backing that he deserves, and that he has earned. The guy not only won us the league (without him taking over it would not have happened), but has also kept us in the top league for two consecutive seasons - something that no manager has done since Lambie in the mid 90s. He is our best manager in decades and I hope to see him in charge for years to come, regardless of what some of the most hysterical posters on here say. To see his budget apparently slashed, and to see us seemingly miss out on a host of players (although I accept that I'm sure this happens to other clubs), leaves me incredibly disappointed.

Added to this are the clear opportunities (as I think someone may have mentioned elsewhere on another thread) that the club continues to miss out on to raise additional money (e.g. TAG). There also seems to be (apart from panicked moves to extend the season ticket deadline) no real imagination being shown with regards to getting more people in the gates every second Saturday. Where is the direct fan engagement? Where is the 'one Thistle' mantra? I can't see any real efforts to involve the fans in decisions that affect them, or to involve fans in shaping the matchday experience.

I am absolutely not someone who bashes the board. Running a football club is, I'm sure, a thankless task. But it does seem to me that Archie is being let down; something which, if we continue to struggle in the manner we have in the opening stages of the season, will be the fault of those who have failed to adequately maximise finances in order to support him in the manner he deserves.

Edited by JesusTejero
  • Like 6

Seems to be continual, 'we just missed out on another player', 'player didn't fancy the move', or players moving elsewhere for just a bit more, or a 2 year deal. Wears you down a bit. Can't blame a player for not fancying a move here, but it would be nice if one or 2 would take a chance on us.

The world only way the board can spend more money is if the fans spend more money.

The Directors do not have the wealth to be sugar daddies. They will not put us and into debt.

Not sure if this is in response to my post or not? Just to clarify, I'm absolutely not asking the board to pump their own money into the club. Everyone knows that football is a financial black hole and I don't expect our directors to subsidise the club (other than their initial share purchase).

What I do expect is the club to exhaust all possible sources of maximising revenue - TAG is just one example of where this is not happening. The launch of it was rubbish; the product itself is rubbish, and the end result is less revenue and less money to spend on players. Relying on fans to part with money in return for rubbish products is not how a football club should be run. As mentioned in my previous posts - what fans do the club speak to in order to develop the matchday experience? Who do they engage with in order to shape how schemes like TAG are developed, branded and launched? Where are the regular channels of communication through which fans can constructively participate in the product that the club serves up? They don't (as far as I can see) exist, and all of these things have a knock-on effect on the playing budget.

Edited by JesusTejero
  • Like 1

Certainly Tuesday night's results cut out one possible and one definite source of some incremental income.

Not that you were suggesting it but the board weren't to blame for that. The players didn't seem to realise - or care - that there was a chance to do something better for themselves this year.

Tuesday nights shocking performance has a real dent on revenue. Not only do the club lose out on a potential lucrative cup run, but I would wager that some PATG fans who came along on Tuesday will not be there on Saturday.

I've said it before on another thread but I just get the impression that there's real pessimism at board level about this season - is that why we've mostly only been offering 12 month deals?

Edited by Big Col

I think we need to accept that financially we are very weak at the moment and also accept that as a result of this we will not be the most attractive proposition for many players, and can only hope that as the window closing draws nearer that some decide to accept a less financially attractive package.

Getting more revenue in is crucial, and it's unbelievable that some posters or should that be (im)posters on here would rather Celtic were put out of CL than their club get £150k.

Finally more people are needed through the gate at every home game,therefore quite annoying when it appears that regular contributors to this forum would rather stay at home and watch Luton v Stoke and post that they are watching Stephen O'Donnell than go and watch the team they profess to support

And they complain that we are not signing anyone!!!!

• Like 1

I think we need to accept that financially we are very weak at the moment and also accept that as a result of this we will not be the most attractive proposition for many players, and can only hope that as the window closing draws nearer that some decide to accept a less financially attractive package.

Getting more revenue in is crucial, and it's unbelievable that some posters or should that be (im)posters on here would rather Celtic were put out of CL than their club get £150k.

Finally more people are needed through the gate at every home game,therefore quite annoying when it appears that regular contributors to this forum would rather stay at home and watch Luton v Stoke and post that they are watching Stephen O'Donnell than go and watch the team they profess to support

And they complain that we are not signing anyone!!!!

I absolutely sympathise with your point in bold, particularly when people don't go and then seem to flaunt the fact on here. However, the onus has to be on the club to entice people to come to games. This is a bit of a chicken and egg situation in that the product on the pitch can't substantially improve unless we get bigger crowds, but bigger crowds will tend not to occur until the football improves. However, it's obvious that there is a lot more the board and club staff (if there's many left these days) can do to make Firhill a more attractive place to go. Minor points that are repeated endlessly on here do make a difference; the cleanliness of the stadium, the catering, the ability to hear the tannoy, the Aitken Suite - all these relatively minor things that need to be fixed but aren't add up to make Firhill (and Thistle) sometimes just look a bit shoddy.

I get regular e-mails from the club to watch Archie's pre match videos. I then click the link then can't watch them as I don't have a TAG membership. I also get game tickets on my lapsed season ticket but its not worked once yet.

Shambles!