Versus Aberdeen

Dark Passenger

Paulo, you are possibly correct re Welsh and Abdul. Problem is that Abdul is there to break stuff up. A job he does pretty well. Welsh doesn't have that sort of strength . Or Height.

I'd look at welsh and Fraser as similar players due to their range of passing and ability to hit a shot from distance.

Banzo likes to drive forward with the ball at his feet.

Osman breaks up play and releases the ball to whoever a beside him.

None do the No10 role like Stevo so that leaves 4 fighting for two DM positions.

It's who you prefer to play beside Banzo, for me. And that's Osman, when on form.

That leaves Welsh or Fraser to come off the bench. Welsh edges it, but Fraser played some beautiful balls out wide during the week.

We've never replaced Paton, who as it turns out had Osmans tackling with Fraser's passing ability.

The midfield tombola selection process is really limiting the effectiveness of what should be one of our side's strengths this season, imo.

Ideally, I'd have the following middle five if all were match fit and playing with confidence.

Lawless Stevenson Amoo

Bannigan Osman ©

I don't think we've started with that midfield yet, for whatever reasons.

IMO the problem is that we have nothing on the left. Fraser, and I like him and would play him, is not a left midfielder. Neither is Amoo or indeed Lawless as he wants to drift inside. That said we have little on the right either. Shows how much we miss Christie, which is something few of us would have thought last year.

We need width in the team, someone to hit the bye line and cross the ball rather than yon big floaty crosses from way outside the 18 yard box.

I fear for Saturday if we don't sort something quickly.

We need width in the team, someone to hit the bye line and cross the ball rather than yon big floaty crosses from way outside the 18 yard box.

That's supposed to be where Amoo comes in. Looked the part in one of the friendlies when he got a good few quality crosses in but they've been few and far between since.

Certainly that 4-4-2 look we started the 2nd half against against Falkirk with was pretty desperate stuff and would be so easily defended by the likes of Aberdeen. I didn't actually think Stevenson looked that out of place playing wide left but along with Lawless cutting in from the right there's not much chance of hitting the bye line. Booth maybe but he even prefers to cut inside, which is confusing as he doesn't like to use his right foot.

IMO the problem is that we have nothing on the left. Fraser, and I like him and would play him, is not a left midfielder. Neither is Amoo or indeed Lawless as he wants to drift inside. That said we have little on the right either. Shows how much we miss Christie, which is something few of us would have thought last year.

I found this article very interesting from about a year ago.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/are-outdated-soccer-tactics-a-cross-to-bear-keeping-possession-is-the-way-to-goal-1402007011

It shows that statistically crossing from wide has a very low percentage of goals return. I think that is why wingers now seem to play a lot on the opposite side from their good foot so they can cut inside rather than hit the byline wide and cross.

Last season I seen games where we hit ball after ball into an isolated Doolan with zero result. I'd be interested to see a stats return on how many goals we scored from a high cross from open play. We have to start to get more players into the box and getting through the middle at defences too if we are going to score.

I've seen no hunger and desire from the team , especially the midfield, to do that in the last two games and that must change.

• Like 1

I was really frustrated with amoo during the week. Time and time again he had acres of space in front of him, he should be looking for Miller to be lobbing balls over the top, but instead he kept sitting, almost getting in the way of Miller or Stevenson who had the ball on the right.

This is absolutely bang on. I've noticed that in a few games this season. I don't know whether its because he prefers getting the ball to feet then taking players on, but his tendency to hold back instead of bursting forward and using the pace he has is extremely frustrating to watch. Its almost as if Miller is holding off waiting for him to make the run sometimes and ultimately just ends in a muddle on that side of the park.

• Like 1

Cerny

Miller - Frans - Seaborne - Booth

Welsh - Osman

Lawless - Stevenson - Bannigan

Doolan

Too much tinkering is usually a bad error in these circumstances. Let’s stick to our current formation, it has served us well and its best suited to our team.

I do think Archie has to make a decision between Welsh or Banzo, but I think Aberdeen could punish us out wide and I am not sure about Lawless and Mcdaid on either wing. Think you can only play one of Lawless and Mcdaid in a game like this.

Seaborne has not become a bad player over the space of a few months. Give him time and hopefully injury free and he will come good for us. His distribution is a lot better than many say. Him and Frans is not the ideal mix, both are vulnerable to pace but all in they will do a job for us.

David Amoo is another one that I am confident will come good. Archie needs to be selective in the games his play’s though. Playing him in difficult away games will not suit him and better left on the bench where he is a real threat coming on with his pace. He has a decent final ball as well. It’s clear he is a confidence player – once we start playing better he will.

We still need to bring more players in. A full back that can cover both sides would be good. Elliott being injured is a blow because he gives Archie a number of options. He is a different style of full-back to Miller and he being injured limits our ability to change things.

One of the problems with our midfielders are they are too similar apart from Osman. Ideally I would like to send Wilson on loan and bring somebody different in but our finances will almost certainly not allow for this.

All in all tomorrow is a difficult game that we are likely to lose. But I will be looking for improvement in our performance.

Edited by Alan Murray

Think we should stick with the same defence too many changes there recently. Seabourne and Hendry for me are the better of the centre backs and Lindsay has more potential than Frans who I actually think is the weak link of the four, assuming everyone's fit. Seabourne will get better if he stays fit but that's the big question.

Not the game for Amoo either for me.

cerny

miller frans seaborne booth

osman banzo

stevenson

lawless doolan

pogba

high tempo game get in their faces right from the off

get the ball into their half asap just as we did towards the end of last season

pogba leading the line with lawless and doolan playing off him stevenson a goal threat coming from deep :thumbsup2:

off to the bookies :clapping: