My view is that, that the BBC obsess about "Scottish Football", and their pundits are majoritively uninspiring nuggets.

They advertise the old firm at every opportunity. They should not be doing this. Therefore I have no complaint if they do not report on our attempts to improve our commercial success, such as our current merchandise give-away schemes.

In sporting terms I think they underestimate us. However that may be no bad thing. It allows us to perhaps, progress quietly, at our own pace, "under the radar", without hyped, over expectation that increased press coverage can bring. If we were touted as potential top sixers, or being urged to immediately build on our promotion sucess, any failure, set-back or even consolidation rather than improvement, could be set up as tragedy, underachievment and blown out of all proportion.

In fairness to the BBC, as has already been mentioned, when we did do something exceptional on the field they covered it and covered it well.

Overall, I think press coverage of our team and others is pretty poor. I don't really think we suffer much more than anyone else from the old firm infatuation that continues un abated across the spectrum of media outlets.

The club are, along with our current sponsors, to my mind doing an excellent job with very limited resources to try and raise public awareness and spread the word "it' f*ckin good to be a jag".

Let's not get butt-hurt if others don't get it, ignore, or mock their efforts. Instead, as fans, we should rather :

Keep Calm

and

Follow

The Jags.

:fan:

COOLEST TEAM IN SCOTLAND

by a city mile!

I wish I hadn't used the word "bias" as both technically incorrect and perhaps too emotive.

What angers me is the Club suffer from this underexposure. I've spent long enough in PR (albeit many moons ago) to know when a sports story warrants national (Scottish) coverage. When any football club announces (on a slow football news day) it's handing out 2000 specially designed footballs or scarves completely free imo you would expect some sort of coverage from both leading TV stations. Yet one routinely sends along cameras whilst the other one rarely even mentions the initiative. Same goes for giving away unsold pies to a foodbank and other initiatives dating back to Jags Go Free.

If the BBC Scotland has a wider agenda than STV, something I would reckon is marginal, it didn't stop BBC (UK)'s coverage of Kingsley (Mock the Week, HIGNFY x2). Kingsley being another "news" story that STV vastly exceeded the BBC in both coverage and content.

Perhaps it's me that's biased against a media company that continue to employ the useless fud Chic Dung :)

• Like 1

...We would have no complaints if there was a jags fan presenting a radio show and talking us up every week - in fact they'd probably enjoy hero status at Firhill for doing so....

Cha tachair sin a h-uile seachdain, ach tachraidh e minig gu leòr./That doesn't happen every week, but it does happen frequently. :)

Theirinnsa gum bi trì comainn aig an ìre as àirde a' faighinn aire gu sònraichte air an rèidio - Siorrachd Rois, Inbhir Nis agus ar cuid fhìn, an seo ann an Glaschu./I'd say that three of the top-level clubs get particular attention on the radio - Ross County, Inverness and ourselves here in Glasgow.

Spòrs na Seachdain, madainn Disathairne/Saturday morning 09:00 - 10:00 :icon_headfones:

Spòrs ionadail, nàiseanta agus eadar-nàiseanta./Local, national and international sports news.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007jdc5

Edited by Fearchar

I've always just assumed that the guy in charge at BBC Scotland Sport is a rabid Clyde fan who hates Thistle with a vengeance. Only thing that explains their attitude to the club in recent years. (And anyone who thinks that the BBC's coverage of Thistle isn't biased hasn't been paying attention.)

I'm in the "it's benign" camp. STV is regionally divided within Scotland in terms of its news output. It stands to reason therefore just as Grampian used to talk about Aberdeen all the time that a similar pattern would emerge out of the STV Glasgow/West office.

We used to get better in-show recognition too when we had an intelligent former player as a regular guest and commentator, namely Stephen Craigan.

I'm in the "it's benign" camp. STV is regionally divided within Scotland in terms of its news output. It stands to reason therefore just as Grampian used to talk about Aberdeen all the time that a similar pattern would emerge out of the STV Glasgow/West office.

We used to get better in-show recognition too when we had an intelligent former player as a regular guest and commentator, namely Stephen Craigan.

I think that the STV being regional is a bit of a red herring here. Yes, that would explain increased coverage of, say Aberdeen in the Aberdeen region. However, we share our region with the ugly sisters and a lot of other decent sized clubs. Therefore STV Glasgow/West of Scotland could easily ignore us in favour of (particularly) Celtic/Sevco if they wanted to.

alan archibald awarded manager of the month for november.

you can read all about it online with specific articles on the herald, evening times, stv, eurosport, sky sports websites (these are the only ones (barring one exception which i will come to) i have quickly checked).

as of right now, you cannot however read a specific article about alan archibald november motm on the bbc website.

you can however find and read a specific article about michael ohalloran of st johnstone being novembers potm on the bbc webshite. it is admittedly a lazy journalistic offering, on the bbcs part, but it is a specific article clearly found on their scottish football pages. if you bother to read the article, the last line may interest jags fans. but, with the bbc, we are but a footnote, nothing else.

bias? disinterest? apathy? a general dislike of all things ptfc? whatever it is, it is apparent the bbc has some form of issue with ptfc.

never saw stv news at six so can't comment (paging libby to thread).

tonight's reporting scotland sports section ..... lots of time spent on sevco manager and rumoured fulham target is he staying or going talk, interview with cameras full works ..... and then we had a similar length report on michael ohalloran, rumoured target for the green bigots, and interview with cameras full works with, oh, novembers player of the month ..... and that ladies and gentlemen, was the sum total of tonights sport on reporting scotland.

as before, draw your own conclusions and opinions.

eta ..... libby quick on the keyboard tonight!

Edited by yoda-jag

I reckon maybe Archie doesn't give them much to go on. As much as I love the guy, he never really gets excited one way or the other. Maybe just not great telly.

Having said that, I do think we're underrepresented. Bbc article on the cup draw mentioned virtually every premier team plus Hibs and the others. Only excluded Thistle and Hamilton (and I'd say we got a relatively interesting draw). Not a scandal on its own, but the depressing thing was that the omission was so predictable.

I don't watch much TV so can't comment on STV's coverage. I do listen to the radio - tonight's Sportsound featured Kenny MacIntyre(Rangers fan), Richard Wilson(Rangers fan), Derek Ferguson(Rangers fan & former player) & Chick Young(Rangers sympathiser). As with most football coverage in the Scottish Media almost everything is viewed through an Old Firm prism. I'm already dreading the full-blooded return next season of the sectarian version of the Punch & Judy Show if We Aren't Tax Payers get promoted.

In fairness to BBC Radio Scotland, Richard Gordon is a brilliant anchorman, Tom English is fearless in raising issues and Cowan & Cosgrove combine humour with genuine insight...none of them pander to the Old Firm agenda.

Thistle don't have a charismatic (or even well known) individual - player, manager, director or former player/pundit - to raise our media profile. Archie is a credit to the club in many ways but his interviews are polite but predictable. As a prime example, a few weeks ago, on a weekend of controversial refereeing decisions, John Hughes, who comes over as a likeable buffoon, was widely quoted after having a go at the referee; Robbie Neilson, who seems quite dour, gave a bombshell quote about training with 10 men for Willie Collum games; Archie said he hadn't even spoken to the officials about Rooney's blatant handball goal.

The decision against us was the worst of the lot but it wasn't even discussed at the time while the comments of the two other managers are still spoken about. I posted at the time that referees were unlikely to be scared to give decisions against Thistle because of fear of adverse media criticism.

I do agree that we seem to fly below the radar but I can to some extent understand why this happens.

I congratulated Archie on his MOTM award tonight on Clyde SSB. I hardly got a word in but the host said it was nice to hear from a non OF fan :lol:

It would be good to get Jags fans more involved on the radio shows by either phoning in or getting involved via Twitter or text.

#FightThePower

• Like 1

Pretty sure if one of the other teams wasting the air in our city had announced a 'kids go free', an artist tie in with giveaways, a student scheme, a charity collection, etc etc......BBC would have reporters tearing each other to pieces in order to rock up with a full crew.

Maybe they see us as a non-story, but I'd like to think that a majority of their viewership (outside of OF fans) would rather see a decent piece about a football club trying new and inventive things to drum up support, than another interview with a manager of a club talking about a hypothetical move for a player or manager. There's a definite lack of imagination and diversity at the BBC, in more than their football reporting.

• Like 4

I wish I hadn't used the word "bias" as both technically incorrect and perhaps too emotive. What angers me is the Club suffer from this underexposure. I've spent long enough in PR (albeit many moons ago) to know when a sports story warrants national (Scottish) coverage. When any football club announces (on a slow football news day) it's handing out 2000 specially designed footballs or scarves completely free imo you would expect some sort of coverage from both leading TV stations. Yet one routinely sends along cameras whilst the other one rarely even mentions the initiative. Same goes for giving away unsold pies to a foodbank and other initiatives dating back to Jags Go Free. If the BBC Scotland has a wider agenda than STV, something I would reckon is marginal, it didn't stop BBC (UK)'s coverage of Kingsley (Mock the Week, HIGNFY x2). Kingsley being another "news" story that STV vastly exceeded the BBC in both coverage and content. Perhaps it's me that's biased against a media company that continue to employ the useless fud Chic Dung :)

Not to mention their complete lack of support for Jim Spence when threatened by fans of the newest club in Scotland.

• Like 1

I congratulated Archie on his MOTM award tonight on Clyde SSB. I hardly got a word in but the host said it was nice to hear from a non OF fan :lol:

It would be good to get Jags fans more involved on the radio shows by either phoning in or getting involved via Twitter or text.

#FightThePower

Stuart Bannigan was a guest on Clyde last week. They didn't get a call for him to talk about Thistle.

The BBC sport segment on the Scottish news was clearly just a few random items cobbled together to fill the required space in the programme.

Regan of the SFA giving some knee-jerk solutions to the weekend's postponement - mid-season break.....summer football.....artificial pitches.

A reference, without any facts, to the possibility of a rehash of the League Cup.

The 1999 proposal to merge Dundee and United.

Some darts player admitting he'd thrown a match in 2011.

Getting worse and worse .

I didn't think that was actually possible

Stuart Bannigan was a guest on Clyde last week. They didn't get a call for him to talk about Thistle.

Or maybe more precisely, they chose not to put through any callers who were Jags fans.

I can't remember the last caller on Clyde who wasn't from either side of the great Old Firm divide.

Article on BBC website about Stuart Regan has him talking about "both sides of Glasgow". Absolutely shocking whether these are the actual words of a Scottish football officebearer or the spin of a lazy BBC journalist.

I also caught the BBC Scotland preview of our game on the car radio tonight. Aberdeen/Hearts and even St Johnstone/Celtic were considered by discussing both teams involved in the game. We then had ten minutes talk about Dundee United, their manager, their formations, their players, their strengths, their weaknesses, their manager (again), their need to win games like this and to start climbing the table, and finally their need to defend well because Partick Thistle scored 5 goals last time out. End of preview.

Or maybe more precisely, they chose not to put through any callers who were Jags fans.

I can't remember the last caller on Clyde who wasn't from either side of the great Old Firm divide.

You are suggesting they got a guest on the show, and despite asking for Thistle fans to phone in, deliberately didn't put through any of the calls to Banzo?

That's a cruel joke to play!