Aberdeen, Away, Can We Keep The Run Going?

douglas clark

Must admit that the early season competition with teams like Motherwell, United and Inverness made me nervous. Always a feeling that they'd recover ( though now looking bad for United). Happier now to see Hamilton, Killie and Dundee struggling. They all look very much like relegation candidates.

Wow. An absolutely tremendous result given all the circumstances; and not to mention where we were before this great leap of faith within the playing set up began.

I really now see no reason for us not to be approaching the Celtic with a genuine belief that we can come away with at least a share of the points; no more sitting back hoping they don't murder us. We're well overdue a result there, and the confidence gained from tonight's sterling effort must mean a positive mindset.

As others have correctly said, all praise to Archie & his largely unsung assistant - you have done us proud guys. Loving Thistle even more than usual at the present time.

A measure of our recent progress was a few words of mention (the ONLY mention of us) lurking in the back end of the match summary from the Beeb, and which would've made anybody think the Dons were playing against their selves: "Thistle's failure to extend their winning run to five in succession sees them fall to seventh place in the table".

FALLING to seventh! If you'd offered me that a couple of months ago. . .

400 travelling fans according to Radio Scotland. That's a great turn out at this time of year. Well done guys and girls!

and they were complimentary about the support as well. Radio Scotland often get merited abuse for coverage of our games, but tonight they paid the team and the fans many compliments

It's a fantastic point for us. We defended like lions. Liam Lindsay was one of the best players on the park tonight. 100% commitment and bravery from the lad, but also very composed on the ball and looking to build an attack whenever he had the chance. His block at the end was incredible defending.

Also thought it was a master stroke from Archie to go 2 up front towards the end. He obviously felt we could nick it, but at the same time it meant that Aberdeen had to keep looking over their shoulder and couldn't commit as many men forward as they would like. So it was actually a great defensive switch as well.

Our next game is one I honestly now believe we can win. We'll never get a better chance to play Celtic than we do now. A defeat could easily mean the end for Deila. Hope we take a big support on the day.

• Like 3

It's a fantastic point for us. We defended like lions. Liam Lindsay was one of the best players on the park tonight. 100% commitment and bravery from the lad, but also very composed on the ball and looking to build an attack whenever he had the chance. His block at the end was incredible defending.

Also thought it was a master stroke from Archie to go 2 up front towards the end. He obviously felt we could nick it, but at the same time it meant that Aberdeen had to keep looking over their shoulder and couldn't commit as many men forward as they would like. So it was actually a great defensive switch as well.

Our next game is one I honestly now believe we can win. We'll never get a better chance to play Celtic than we do now. A defeat could easily mean the end for Deila. Hope we take a big support on the day.

I thought we defended like beavers?

Or like Lions with big teeth who live in rivers - a strange hybrid creature like Davie Dodds

• Like 1

I thought we defended like beavers?

Or like Lions with big teeth who live in rivers - a strange hybrid creature like Davie Dodds

Anyway we defended dam well.

Are nuts generally an ingredient of the modern fruitcake?

Has anyone ever scientifically assessed the level of sound judgement an owl possesses?

Always more questions than answers.

Anyway we defended dam well.

Are nuts generally an ingredient of the modern fruitcake?

Has anyone ever scientifically assessed the level of sound judgement an owl possesses?

Always more questions than answers.

As the discussion is about dam building by beavers, I thought I would log in.

Tomas "the Cat" Cerny would be feline quite relaxed in the company of lions.

Returning to topic, I was afraid to make any comment about Cerny during the game in case I jinxed him, so I will break my silence now. He caught every single cross ball, many of which were contested (apart from one where he was fouled, but still cleared the box with his punch) and clung on to every low shot. If you were to re-run the tapes of Sportscene and Match of the Day for the past few weeks, I think that you would be surprised at the number of goals conceded where the keeper fails to clutch a low hard shot on a slippery pitch and the striker nips in to score. Tomas never allows that opportunity to arise. A totally reliable keeper. If it can be saved, he will save it.

Seabo and Liam deserve special mention for the efficiency and occasional bravery of their defending. Whether this was comparable to rodents or carnivores, it was impressive and inspiring, and they certainly got their teeth into it.

A shout out to Muzzy as well. Even when he was fouled and pushed off the pitch in the far corner while shepherding the ball out (he is such a good shepherd, I hope somebody found a nativity play for him), he managed to keep one leg back over the bye line while being treated so that the game was held up for a couple of minutes and the building Aberdeen momentum was dissipated. I was amazed that the referee did not roll him off. He really riled the home team and their support. Marvellous stuff!

No failures anywhere in the Jags ranks. Edwards' selection was a surprise, but he did well, especially in the first half, and could be useful at Parkhead.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with Frans or Miller. If they are happy to wait their turn then they are good players to have available. Particularly in Frans case, he is well capable of becoming a first team regular again but needs an opportunity that the current guys aren't giving him. It's a good problem for Thistle

Nothing wrong with Frans or Miller. If they are happy to wait their turn then they are good players to have available. Particularly in Frans case, he is well capable of becoming a first team regular again but needs an opportunity that the current guys aren't giving him. It's a good problem for Thistle

Not to mention the unfortunae Miller, who grasped his opportunity, didn't put a foot wrong and even scored - yet was dropped.