Dundee Utd On Saturday

Vinnyjag

Sorry M'Lady but I don't think anyone that endured that yesterday would be interested in similar team selections from years gone by.

You're misinterpreting my post. I'm merely pointing out that a three at the back formation is not necessarily negative. That's hee haw to do with history It was the application of three at the back yesterday that was negative.

Similarly there's a few on here who are regularly trumpeting playing two upfront as something positive. Well I suppose after yesterday they may now realise that's hardly a cure all remedy.

I don't know why we set out yesterday to simply not lose as you rightly say against the poorest team in the league. I'd willingly have accepted a replay if we had played more positively and just made a mistake or two. Archie got it wrong, or so it certainly looks like, by (cliche alert) giving the opposition far too much respect.

Very few of the posters here were at the game, we didn't deserve to lose, it's cup luck, they got one chance and took it, lawless bundled off the ball,too many high balls punted forward, and let's not forget bumbling Collum and his gang of incompetents, so,not all Archie's or the teams fault

I was,there and whilst I may agree that we didn't necessarily 'deserve' to lose, we certainly didn't deserve to win: which at the end of the day is the point of the game!

I certainly do not fit the profile of an 'Archie hater', however it would have been more gracious of the manager to admit he got his tactics completely wrong.

I don't think this dreadful performance was a bellwether for the remainder of the campaign. However, it should be a stark reminder that each time we resort to defensive kick and rush football we invariably lose!

• Like 1

Some folk can paper over the cracks if they want to. But let's get real.

Goals win football games and right now, we're badly lacking.

Toothless yesterday, toothless in Inverness, a fortunate deflected goal against Motherwell. And let's not forget the first 9 games of the season.

Lowest scorers in the league. Very few opportunities created during games.

It's not good enough. Injury to a couple of key players (Lawless and Doolan for example) and we're gubbed.

We have enough quality in that we SHOULD be fine in the league. Continuing to ***** about with this horrible lineup though, which Archie insights in his post match comments would be a disaster. Infact hadn't we conceded the joint fewest goals away from home alongside Celtic?

Also drop Welsh for goodness sake, everyone can see it. I think Banzo could do with some time out as well. Another mistake from him yesterday. Picking up yellow cards left right and centre, not really contributing anything going forward, terrible set pieces, managed to get Lindsay sent off v Dundee as well. I seen Edwards v Aberdeen and thought he looked alright. The only one from that CM group that is undroppable is Osman.

A practice before next week's park the bus?, albeit not entirely appropriate for this cup tie against the bottom team.

Think we'd all settle for a point next week using similar tactics.

Agreed.....most people would bite your hands of for a point next week

You're misinterpreting my post. I'm merely pointing out that a three at the back formation is not necessarily negative. That's hee haw to do with history It was the application of three at the back yesterday that was negative.

Similarly there's a few on here who are regularly trumpeting playing two upfront as something positive. Well I suppose after yesterday they may now realise that's hardly a cure all remedy.

I don't know why we set out yesterday to simply not lose as you rightly say against the poorest team in the league. I'd willingly have accepted a replay if we had played more positively and just made a mistake or two. Archie got it wrong, or so it certainly looks like, by (cliche alert) giving the opposition far too much respect.

I agree. Nothing wrong with tightening things up at the back in league games, but it's the lack of threat from the midfield that is the big worry. I think Sean Welsh gets a lot of unwarranted stick on here as he does a lot of hard work that goes unnoticed but we really need to give him a rest and get a more positive spin and threat from midfield. Worth taking a chance with Edwards or give Nesbitt a role helping out Dools

Edited by Lindau

Wasn't at the game and didn't learn much from the TV "highlights". Last year, Archie made the same mistake against Inverness at Firhill in the Cup. He started with no strikers, lost the game and later apologised for his tem selection. He does seem prone to odd selections, and I agree with other posters that we should have been setting the agenda for this game, not allowing DU to do it.

I wasn't at Tannadice yesterday but I was at last year's cup tie against ICT and there seem to be weird similarities between the two. Certainly in both cases, the vast majority of our support's response to hearing the team line up was "WTF?", and on both occasions we were utter sh1te. It's all very puzzling - especially as we have such a good record of late against Yinited Why change that? Baffling.

A practice before next week's park the bus?, albeit not entirely appropriate for this cup tie against the bottom team.

Think we'd all settle for a point next week using similar tactics.

If it's the same lineup and same tactics then I'm asking for a refund on my ticket.

No wonder our crowds are plummeting, if this dross is what will be served up till the end of the season. It'll be like rewinding to the first quarter of the season.

Not scapegoating by any means but there was many a time, in the first half particularly, we needed three centrebacks. Frans was having all sorts of difficulties (highlighted on TV edited highlights but more than just that one episode). That in no way is justification for our tactics yesterday but if we'd held out it would've been a fortunate by product. An even more exposed Frans might have resulted in the game being over before the interval.

Playing three at the back in itself is far from negative. And correct me if I'm wrong but we last reached the semi-finals playing that way. The negativity emanates from the midfield not pushing on and/or the defence failing to adopt a high line. I also thought that in the absence of Dumbaya that Elliott would've been a better shout than Miller.

I remember McCall often played a trio of John Robertson, Maxie and Archie (I think that was the three) and the biggest flaw being that not one would cross the halfway line in open play. Yesterday reminded me of that. In contrast when Lambie played a back three we had Shaggy as one of the trio

Fair enough point and I totally accept it. However, I often find that teams unused to this formation often by instinct perhaps rather than desire or instruction resort to sitting in: particularly by midfield players.

Hopefully yesterday was 'just a bad day at the office', but the worst thing about it is that it leaves a sense of what might have bee.

but the worst thing about it is that it leaves a sense of what might have bee.

Exactly, not saying that they won't escape the drop, but don't be fooled by all this United revival crap on the TV and papers. They were rotten yesterday and that's what hurts the most. We had a gilt edged opportunity to get to the quarters and we blew it before we kicked a ball

• Like 1

I agree. Nothing wrong with tightening things up at the back in league games, but it's the lack of threat from the midfield that is the big worry. I think Sean Welsh gets a lot of unwarranted stick on here as he does a lot of hard work that goes unnoticed but we really need to give him a rest and get a more positive spin and threat from midfield. Worth taking a chance with Edwards or give Nesbitt a role helping out Dools

It is the midfield that need to do things differently in such occasions. Less need for sitting midfielders with the extra centreback. Certainly not two. If we're going to use the likes of Edwards, who has no defensive qualities, then a set up like yesterdays would be the best time to play him or Nesbitt. Felt sorry for Welsh, who was clearly having a poor game, as he was playing in the one position where you're going to see the ball the most. Even on his bad days, which have been too often lately, he does the barely noticed hard work admirably.

Fair enough point and I totally accept it. However, I often find that teams unused to this formation often by instinct perhaps rather than desire or instruction resort to sitting in: particularly by midfield players.

Hopefully yesterday was 'just a bad day at the office', but the worst thing about it is that it leaves a sense of what might have been.

Too true. That's why I thought Elliott in for Miller would've at least signalled a more positive intention as possibly a more advanced midfielder for Welsh.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

It just seems so counter-intuitive to identify that creativity has been your main problem all season, yet switch to a 5-4-1-1 (or whatever the hell that was yesterday), and then leave the players you've brought in to rectify the problem on the bench or not include them all together.

Fair play to Archie over the past couple of months for helping us pick up form, but if he can't see he was to blame yesterday he needs his head examined. 1 goal in 3 now, and things probably won't improve much with The Dons and Jambos on the way.

It just seems so counter-intuitive to identify that creativity has been your main problem all season, yet switch to a 5-4-1-1 (or whatever the hell that was yesterday), and then leave the players you've brought in to rectify the problem on the bench or not include them all together.

Exactly right,

I don't usually comment on matches I've not attended but we changed the formation of the strongest part of our team to accommodate a poor DU side's tactics.

That doesn't send a good message to the players from the start. It's saying they are better than us and we need to change our way of playing To accommodate them .

We have played all season with the same problem , a lack of connection between the midfield and the forward and yesterday;s formation wasn't going to fix that.

Different mentality needed for the next two matches or we'll get nothing.

I did'nt make the game yesterday, but it sounds similar to tuesday nights game. I went along on tuesday, and as much as i enjoyed the late goal it was a horrible game. It reminded me of when Ross County came to Firhill last season and just hoofed the ball foward at every oportunity. Could it be just the state of the pitches that is making Archie think this type of football is what is needed to get a win, if that makes sense?.

Dunfermiline, Airdrie, St Johnstone, Caley,Kilmarnock, Falkirk, Ayr,Dundee, Motherwell,QoS, Ross County, ****** Gretna, have all made at least 1 cup final in the last 20 years (even won it)

When the f@** is it our turn

I dunno, chompin at the bit for an answer..... but a bit of perspective.

Dunfermline - Capitulation to the old firm and Hibs on their grand days out and vanquished to third tier football. Would maybe have traded one of their final defeats for play-off success at the first time of asking, successive promotions or winning the championship?

Airdrie - That'll be "Airdrieonians F.C.(old)"? Not Airdrie United or whatever this just returned to full time football club call themselves these days.

St. Johnstone - had to wait about 130 years for their first final.

ICT - 2 finals in two years.... their first 2.

Killie - meh... If i were a killie fan i'd do my best to keep it a secret from the grand weans. ;)

Falkirk - Boast all you like about your scottish cup form... impressive.... East Fife still your league cup bogey team?

Ayr - Pumped by the 'orrible 'un live on TV while the whole nation watches... sounds like the nightmare scenario to me.

I'm getting bored now..... but I'll finish with Gretna.... F**kin Gretna!!! .... Nah mate.... Keep yer Scottish cup romance!!

edit :fan: We are Thistle - No shame in our game!

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz
  • Like 1

I dunno, chompin at the bit for an answer..... but a bit of perspective.

Dunfermline - Capitulation to the old firm and Hibs on their grand days out and vanquished to third tier football. Would maybe have traded one of their final defeats for play-off success at the first time of asking, successive promotions or winning the championship?

Airdrie - That'll be "Airdrieonians F.C.(old)"? Not Airdrie United or whatever this just returned to full time football club call themselves these days.

St. Johnstone - had to wait about 130 years for their first final.

ICT - 2 finals in two years.... their first 2.

Killie - meh... If i were a killie fan i'd do my best to keep it a secret from the grand weans. ;)

Falkirk - Boast all you like about your scottish cup form... impressive.... East Fife still your league cup bogey team?

Ayr - Pumped by the 'orrible 'un live on TV while the whole nation watches... sounds like the nightmare scenario to me.

I'm getting bored now..... but I'll finish with Gretna.... F**kin Gretna!!! .... Nah mate.... Keep yer Scottish cup romance!!

edit :fan: We are Thistle - No shame in our game!

Most of what you post is quite entertaining.

However, what's your view on this?

Was privileged to be there in 1971 - and with each increasing year I realise how privileged I have been to have witnessed that.

But - yesterday's tactics aside - why cannot our current generation of fans have the same expectation? If it's been good enough for Gretna, ICT, Dross and Livingston, three of whom didn't even exist the last time we made a major final, then why not us?

We continually play this wee team, no money, can only pay so much mentality. And yet clubs with less of a base than we have had have achieved so much more in cup competitions this century.

As Norge said - when is it our turn?

Edited by Barney Rubble