Dundee Utd On Saturday

Vinnyjag

Time to look forward to Saturday's cup tie, and I for one am pretty confident we can win this. It will be interesting to see if German and Nesbitt (not sure if they are eligible) are included in the squad and if so who gets left out, add Dumbaya if he is fit and Lindsay to the mix then we have some decent options.

If all those 3 are available we could start with a very strong team and have a few potential match winners on the bench.

I was surprised at Utd's lack of transfer activity in the January window, they had a good result against Killie, however we are a different proposition.

Let's hope we start well, the first goal against Utd in their current position tends to demoralise them.

Going along to this one on the East Kilbride bus, have been to all of the games when they have run a bus from EK and its a great day out.

they had a good result against Millie, however we are a different proposition.

Yeah, we are a different proposition to a girls team....lol. With the transfer window additions and lots of other players back from long term injury, our squad is looking very strong now. Agree with you that scoring first is vital in our games as (other than the occasional game) our defence is not shipping goals. Similar to yourself, after their last result, I was amazed that they did no business before the deadline. They have either decided they are down or they don't have the money or perhaps they think the current squad can get them out of the mire they are in (highly unlikely) Strange one indeed.

I think we'll have to play well on Saturday. I refuse to believe that these United players are as bad as their results, and maybe the cup will allow them a bit of respite. Would like to see the new guys as we definitely need more going forward.

I think we can do it.

Edited by allyo

The rumours around Dundee are that the club were going to run out of money in April and had to sell players to avoid that calamity. The proceeds of the sales have all gone to debt repayment.

Jackie had amassed a first team squad of 51 players.

Also I have been told that there is some prospect of a protest against Thompson if things go badly on Saturday.

The rumours around Dundee are that the club were going to run out of money in April and had to sell players to avoid that calamity. The proceeds of the sales have all gone to debt repayment.

Jackie had amassed a first team squad of 51 players.

Also I have been told that there is some prospect of a protest against Thompson if things go badly on Saturday.

Another couple of league defeats might see them all but relegated, so at that point they might as well release Erskine to save some money. Of course we could instruct Erskine to stay with them, to inflict maximum damage......

Vengeful? Me?

100%!

Edited by Jaggernaut

Even if they somehow released Erskine now, I don't think we can sign him except maybe on amateur terms unless it was a full Dunfermline style administration where we were able to pick up McMillan and Dowie.

I can't see how they can play him for the rest of the season although Shinnie did well enough with ICT last year.

Will be interesting to see what kind of team United put out for this one. The league will be their priority without question, but putting out a 2nd string team runs the risk of a heavy defeat.

I definitely expected them to bring in a few more players than they did in January, and was surprised that Thomson didn't throw the kitchen sink at it in order to try and stay up. Makes you wonder if he's accepted they are down already.

We should be going up there with no fear, it's not a disaster if we go out of the cup as it happens every year anyway. I'd like to see us come racing out of the blocks to try for an early goal.

Really looking forward to seeing the new signings and overall looking forward to another day out up there.

Apprehensive about Saturday. It is a game we should be winning obviously. Despite the 4-2 loss to Dundee, we have lost only two matches in ten which is a terrific achievement. On top of that we look stronger with two new attacking options, and a pretty settled back four now.

But Dundee United despite their awful form still have a squad of decent players, and I'm sure their win over Killie will spur them on despite only winning three league games all season. Can't wait for the game mind you, but it would be so typical of Thistle to mess it up when playing a team lacking in consistency. But as long as we play to our best, we have a real chance of reaching the 1/4 Final. :fan: :fan: :fan:

Are the two new boys definitely eligible? Do they not need to be registered a certain amount of days before the tie?

No. The 14 day ruling, I think, was abandoned when transfer windows were introduced. Both players are eligible to participate in the tournament. Aidan Nesbitt will only not be able to participate in a Scottish Cup, or indeed League, fixture against Celtic.

Team for Saturday:

Cerny

Miller Seaborne Frans Booth

Fraser Osman Banzo

Nesbitt Lawless

Doolan

It would be harsh to drop Miller. Welsh must be dropped. Nesbitt deserves a chance to show what he can do. Could even swap him for Pogba if Archie fancied two up front. Think we have a much better squad now that at this point last Friday.

Must confess to being none to bothered about the cup - our record in the past 30 or so years is possibly the worst of any team in the top 2 or 3 divisions and that has probably eroded any aspirations.

Last result I would want is a draw - a replay with the carrot of the draw pitching the winners with an away quarter final at Dingwall would be awful. :crazy: :crazy:

Probably just me but tomorrow is a "free-hit" kinda game. :frantic: :frantic:

Will be interesting to see what kind of team United put out for this one. The league will be their priority without question, but putting out a 2nd string team runs the risk of a heavy defeat. I definitely expected them to bring in a few more players than they did in January, and was surprised that Thomson didn't throw the kitchen sink at it in order to try and stay up. Makes you wonder if he's accepted they are down already. We should be going up there with no fear, it's not a disaster if we go out of the cup as it happens every year anyway. I'd like to see us come racing out of the blocks to try for an early goal. Really looking forward to seeing the new signings and overall looking forward to another day out up there.

Spoke to UTD friends of mine and they seem to think that Thompson is only interested in getting back all the cash his dad put in, once he gets all/most of it he is off so wont sanction any large spending. only rumor but could have some legs with all we are seeing at the moment.