Dundee Utd On Saturday

Vinnyjag

Last season Ross County were rooted to the bottom of the league on 12 points after 24 games. Having won only 2 games all season and scoring about 20 goals they started a run which saw them finish 9th winning 10 games on the way with a 3-2 victory at home to, at the time 11th placed, Motherwell. Their second game in what would turn out to be an outstanding recovery was a 3-1 away victory against Partick Thistle.

Dundee Utd. are this season on 13 points after 23 games. Last week when they recorded only their 3rd victory of the season scoring 5 goals to 1 against current 11th placed Killie.

It was a cup tie, and most people like to see their team set up attractively to have a go and attack.

I'm not attempting to say history will repeat itself. However, I hope we don't have a gaffer who ignores the facts or what other teams are doing. The theory that D.U. being bottom of the league halfway through the year makes them a right off, or easy cup bait is patronising, ignorant and naive.

It was reported in the press that before the killie game they got together and overhauled their tactics. It seemed to work well against Killie.

Amongst the additions Mixu made in January, they have just signed Ofere, a striker who scored 5 in 10 for ICT last year including the winning goal in the cup final.

I think Archie maybe over estimated the threat and possibly under-estimates ours. But, I can see reason for trying a more defensive set up in a cup tie, when in our last fixture our players showed the commitment and drive to win with a last minute goal.

It's not the formation or personnel I would have gone with. However, if I'd been picking the team over the last 3 years we maybe wouldn't have won promotion or survived thus far in the top tier with the players I might have been able to attract or keep at the club.

I Archie I trust.

:fan:

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz

I liked the critisism earlier from someone that we take too many shots at goal from our free kicks. And when we're not doing that, we're bloody rolling it to someone to take a shot!

Hey Pt , you're really good with your sarcasm , we've scored once from a free kick this season which Doolan scored at the back post down at Kilmarnock . That's it all season , absolutely ridiculous and believe it or not is a criticism on the coaching the players are receiving . Edited by jlsarmy

Last season Ross County were rooted to the bottom of the league on 12 points after 24 games. Having won only 2 games all season and scoring about 20 goals they started a run which saw them finish 9th winning 10 games on the way with a 3-2 victory at home to, at the time 11th placed, Motherwell. Their second game in what would turn out to be an outstanding recovery was a 3-1 away victory against Partick Thistle.

Dundee Utd. are this season on 13 points after 23 games. Last week when they recorded only their 3rd victory of the season scoring 5 goals to 1 against current 11th placed Killie.

It was a cup tie, and most people like to see their team set up attractively to have a go and attack.

I'm not attempting to say history will repeat itself. However, I hope we don't have a gaffer who ignores the facts or what other teams are doing. The theory that D.U. being bottom of the league halfway through the year makes them a right off, or easy cup bait is patronising, ignorant and naive.

It was reported in the press that before the killie game they got together and overhauled their tactics. It seemed to work well against Killie.

Amongst the additions Mixu made in January, they have just signed Ofere, a striker who scored 5 in 10 for ICT last year including the winning goal in the cup final.

I think Archie maybe over estimated the threat and possibly under-estimates ours. But, I can see reason for trying a more defensive set up in a cup tie, when in our last fixture our players showed the commitment and drive to win with a last minute goal.

It's not the formation or personnel I would have gone with. However, if I'd been picking the team over the last 3 years we maybe wouldn't have won promotion or survived thus far in the top tier with the players I might have been able to attract or keep at the club.

In Archie I trust.

:fan:

I gave Archie all due credit last week but he makes some strange decisions at times. Anyway its gone now. Hearts have a long tough away game on Wednesday. Hopefully that will work in our favour. Ye never know, this time next week we might be calling him a tactical genius

Edited by MonehJags
  • Like 1

I gave Archie all due credit last week but he makes some strange decisions at times. Anyway its gone now. Hearts have a long tough away game on Wednesday. Hopefully that will work in our favour. Ye never know, this time next week we might be calling him a tactical genius

.....or just not posting on here after a favourable result.

btw generalising and not referring to any one individual.

• Like 1

I defy anyone who attended not to be raging.

We definitely have one of the best teams I have seen in nearly 50 years of supporting Thistle. This is the perception of most fans but from Saturday's selection, not the view of the management. 2 central defenders would have been enough to look after DU. It was clear from the start that, especially Frans hadn't a clue what was supposed to be happening. And late on in the game we had big Liam rampaging down the left wing!

I really thought we could challenge for a trophy this year with the team Archie has built and the team spirit. This is why everyone is so disgruntled.

We shouldn't be anywhere near relegation and I have confidence in the management to steer us clear. And that is Archie's job. But it may not be pretty and I cannot see how to fit in the 2 new attackers to such a safe regime. I don't want to see Thistle year after year playing like this. Enjoyed comments re St Johnstone developing a more attractive style of play now that they are 'established'. Could we do the same next year?

I can't believe the level of inquest which has gone into Saturday's game, agreed it was a poor show and Archie probably got the line up/ tactics wrong but some of the comments are a bit OTT.

The manager has more often or not got most things right this season after a shaky start with players bedding etc.

I hope the next time we get a good result there are as many positive comments about the match as there have been negatives 're Saturday

• Like 6

Not at the game to comment but I think United could well go on a good run now and this result will not look as bad in a few weeks time.

That said i thought the official site has made a mistake with the line-up when I saw the team.

Can I ask how you think that will happen Alan? Even the vast majority of United fans arent as hopeful.

They have 4 games left this month, Hamilton(A), Motherwell, Hearts and County(A).

Then Aberdeen, Motherwell(A) and Dundee in March.

I'd be surprised if they took more than 5 points from those 7 games. They are 11 behind Killie and don't play Killie at all, before the split.

Their three remaining pre split fixtures are St Johnstone, Thistle(A) and Caly in April. They'll be lucky to take 2 points from that.

A possible 30 points to play for and i'll suggest they will be lucky to get more than 7 points. It would be a miricle if they get double figures!

Can I ask how you think that will happen Alan? Even the vast majority of United fans arent as hopeful.

They have 4 games left this month, Hamilton(A), Motherwell, Hearts and County(A).

Then Aberdeen, Motherwell(A) and Dundee in March.

I'd be surprised if they took more than 5 points from those 7 games. They are 11 behind Killie and don't play Killie at all, before the split.

Their three remaining pre split fixtures are St Johnstone, Thistle(A) and Caly in April. They'll be lucky to take 2 points from that.

A possible 30 points to play for and i'll suggest they will be lucky to get more than 7 points. It would be a miricle if they get double figures!

They are better than their current position and now have two wins in a row. Not saying they will stay up but think their form will be much improved.

They are better than their current position and now have two wins in a row. Not saying they will stay up but think their form will be much improved.

I'd disagree wholeheartedly that they are better than their current position. They are by far and away, the worst team in the league.

But as i asked: how do you think it will happen, not why do you think it will happen. WEhere do you see them picking up points?

Sorry if that sounds a bit wanky.

• Like 1

I'd agree Dundee Utd are better than their current position, obviously basing my opinion on limited times I've seen them on tv & in the flesh but they do have good players. They just lack experience or a leader in key positions, it is clear a good few of their players are talented (possibly more sore than some of the players we have but definitely more so than what Hamilton & Kilmarnock have). They play decent stuff but lack the conviction & desire if they don't take chances early on in games or if things do not go their way.

• Like 1

I'd disagree wholeheartedly that they are better than their current position. They are by far and away, the worst team in the league.

But as i asked: how do you think it will happen, not why do you think it will happen. WEhere do you see them picking up points?

Sorry if that sounds a bit wanky.

Since we beat them 3-0 at firhill, the only other teams to have beaten them by more than the odd goal are celtic and Aberdeeen.

They've added three players with international experience to their already big squad and a promising youngster up from West Ham.

The Japanese Keeper may be past his best, but was still getting caps up until last year, has played in Europe before, (at Freddy Frans' Lierse) with 2 world cups under his belt, probably signed for his impressive career experience and a level head.

The Finn Riski, sounds like a bit of a wonder kid at a lower level, signed by a top flight club and struggled to break into the first team.

Ofere was impressive last year at ICT. And previously with Malmo. His career seems to have suffered a bit from trying to make it in Italy, where it seems to have never really taken off for him. Wish we could have snapped him up, but I doubt we could have met wage demands, and considering it's a deal to finish the season at D.U. I wouldn't be surprised if Mixu's had to do a bit of pleading to his board to bring him in.

Hamilton next for the Arabs then Motherwell, having just played us and thumping Killie, they couldn't ask for a better chance to make a start on a fightback and kick start their season. Hearts and the dons are probably a class apart, but they won't face celtic again.

They have it all to do... but it's far from unimaginable they can.

E.T.A ... I hasten to add I ain't seen much of D.U. either, but they were all over the place at Firhill thanks to c*nto marra -gate, we played well to take advantage and tanned them.... However, other than that on fixtures this year between us two it's eeksi peexie.... 1-0... 0-1 ..... I'm strugglin to get my head round jags fans righting them off!

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz

They could win every game. That's how it could happen. I don't think it will. And I think they have to much to make up. But all they really lack is confidence. Man for man I doubt they are any worse than the rest of us. If they were really bad players United wouldn't have signed them.