Hearts Match Off

Fawlty Towers

Surprised to say the least. I live in Roseburn, 5 minutes from Tynecastle and while it's been persistently wet all morning it's never been heavy rain. Hearts tweeted a couple of hours ago saying there were no problems and the game was very much on, so sounds like a dubious decision, I assume, by the ref.

As I type it is still drizzling, but it's brightening up and the forecast is for it to stop raining soon and be dry the rest of the day.

Just heard Bobby Madden on the radio claiming that "50%" of the pitch was unplayable. Sounds like the pitch should have been inspected much earlier on by Hearts, there's no way that it has just suddenly became in doubt in an hour or so.

Edited by P-R

So far this season that is more than 10% of our total league games have been postponed. Time for summer football. Start in March and finish in November. The pitches will be in much better condition as the grass will be growing and will be able to recover from one home game to the next.Scottish football can't afford all the postponements.

• Like 1

Surprised to say the least. I live in Roseburn, 5 minutes from Tynecastle and while it's been persistently wet all morning it's never been heavy rain. Hearts tweeted a couple of hours ago saying there were no problems and the game was very much on, so sounds like a dubious decision, I assume, by the ref.

As I type it is still drizzling, but it's brightening up and the forecast is for it to stop raining soon and be dry the rest of the day.

Looks like the forecast was wrong. It's now got a lot duller again and there's sleet falling, although still not heavy.

So far this season that is more than 10% of our total league games have been postponed. Time for summer football. Start in March and finish in November. The pitches will be in much better condition as the grass will be growing and will be able to recover from one home game to the next.Scottish football can't afford all the postponements.

Statistics show Glasgow's second wettest month is October. March and November are not far behind.

Just checked climate data for Edinburgh and Inverness, in both cases October is the wettest month of the year. Edinburgh's rain is fairly constant year round. Don't think summer football would make much of a difference to the number of call offs to be honest.

Edited by Duke Gekantawa

WTF!!!

I know they had a postponement last december, but that was the storm that took us and the game at parkhead out too.

before that the only time i can recall a game being called into question at tyncastle in recent years, it had something to do with structural damage to one of the stands.

Bobby -likesay, the drinks are own me, ken? -Madden, radge c**t ... ay?

:angry:

From the BBC:

Referee Bobby Madden has told BBC Scotland reporter Brian McLauchlin that he had no option but to postpone the Premiership game between Hearts and Partick Thistle.

Heavy rain and snow had fallen on the Tynecastle surface overnight and through Saturday morning.

And, with areas of the pitch under water, he decided it would not be safe for the players.

Surely an earlier pitch inspection would have been sensible.

From the BBC:

Referee Bobby Madden has told BBC Scotland reporter Brian McLauchlin that he had no option but to postpone the Premiership game between Hearts and Partick Thistle.

Heavy rain and snow had fallen on the Tynecastle surface overnight and through Saturday morning.

And, with areas of the pitch under water, he decided it would not be safe for the players.

Surely an earlier pitch inspection would have been sensible.

Maybe i'm shooting the innocent messenger having a dig at Madden.... But this stinks.

tyncastle is consistantly one of the best surfaces in the country.

Hearts to proud to lay a bit of sand?

Utter bollox.... fans and thistle effed over again.

:mad2: ... someone ask tommy taylor to get some decent pics of the pitch and see if any of the sprinklers are suspiciously close by.

Hearts have fecked up royally here. It's quite obvious an inspection should have been called for earlier in the day. If I was already travelling I'd be dropping a note to Mrs Budge asking for a reimbursement.

Just got a message from a Hearts supporting mate who was in hospitality. Says the pitch is soaking and looks unplayable but they'd been there for a while before they heard there was an inspection going on.

Maybe i'm shooting the innocent messenger having a dig at Madden.... But this stinks.

tyncastle is consistantly one of the best surfaces in the country.

Hearts to proud to lay a bit of sand?

Utter bollox.... fans and thistle effed over again.

:mad2: ... someone ask tommy taylor to get some decent pics of the pitch and see if any of the sprinklers are suspiciously close by.

Paranoid nonsense. With the number of games off at Firhill our water bill for sprinklers must be astronomical.