Accies Game 19/03/16

Lindau

Yesterday's goals via proxy - http://tinyurl.com/hajmvll

Welsh took the flack for Accies goal yesterday but the rest of them didn't exactly cover themselves in glory either.Think it was Booth who didn't pick the scorer up and then didn't show many heroics when trying to block the shot.

A pet hate of mine is defenders who run out to block a shot and then when they get there turn their back to avoid being hit. All that ever does is to block your keeper's view of the shot.

Two good goals for us but the move leading to Edwards goal was excellent. Abdul's hooked pass and Amoos's flick on followed by Dools quick look up and cross for it to be finished by Edwards was terrific fast attacking football.

Got to hand it to Edwards. He has waited patiently in the wings for his chance, and he took it yesterday with some style. Unfortunately sometimes it can be necessity that prompts the manager to chuck someone new into the fray. Encouraging to see him busting a gut to support the strikers. With Edwards, Doolan, Lawless, Amoo, Fraser and Pogba all in one team, it is beyond belief we are one of the poorest scorers in the league. Hope now for a strong end to the season.

Got to hand it to Edwards. He has waited patiently in the wings for his chance, and he took it yesterday with some style. Unfortunately sometimes it can be necessity that prompts the manager to chuck someone new into the fray. Encouraging to see him busting a gut to support the strikers. With Edwards, Doolan, Lawless, Amoo, Fraser and Pogba all in one team, it is beyond belief we are one of the poorest scorers in the league. Hope now for a strong end to the season.

Its not really beyond belief that we're the lowest scorers in the league , with the system we play with 1 upfront and with the aforementioned players there is only one with a proven goal scoring record throughout his career ( Doolan ) and he's not playing every week . Not really surprising in my opinion .
  • Like 1

For the life of me I can't understand the decision to have Edwards behind Fraser to start with but it doesn't really matter now.

Discussing that early on and couldn't come up with any obvious reason. Best I can do is to suggest that Archie didn't want to change the positioning any more than necessary. He had to make two enforced changes as it was and probably they'd been practising all week with Fraser playing in an advanced position. Actually coming to think more about it that's very likely the reason. Banzo had been playing in a more advanced position recently and it's fair to assume Archie sees Fraser as the logical replacement for the rest of the season.

Whatever, switching Edwards to his more natural position was crucial to our result. If I'm not havering then it'll be interesting to see who Archie selects against Killie. Fraser or Welsh accompanying Abdul? Fraser or Edwards in the advanced position?

Wasn't at the game but what a result. Seems to have hinged on swapping Fraser & Edwards round. For the life of me I can't understand the decision to have Edwards behind Fraser to start with but it doesn't really matter now.

Pushing Edwards further forward done the trick but bringing Muzzy on and shoving Sean into midfield changed the whole game for me

The criticism of big Dan is a bit OTT. Despite having to concentrate on his own job, he has for most parts had a very young, inexperienced centre half as his partner this season and I think he has done a fantastic job in helping with Liam's development!

• Like 2

however if Dundee United stay up who's to say they won't tie up some of our players such as lawless. Perhaps a draw might be a better result today

Fair point however i can't see utd catching hamilton, possibly Killie then get pumped in the play offs. If we get a couple more wins and utd even draw with those around us it could be very handy.

Fair point however i can't see utd catching hamilton, possibly Killie then get pumped in the play offs. If we get a couple more wins and utd even draw with those around us it could be very handy.

I'm not so sure that United won't catch Hamilton. They could easily be just 9 behind Hamilton going into the split.

A terrific 2nd half performance from the team. All things considered, it's a minor miracle that we picked up all 3 points. You have to fear the worst when you lose one of your centre halves in the warm up and have to put a centre mid at right back. Also bear in mind that we were without our best player this season in Bannigan and arguably our 2nd best with Dumbuya.

I thought the 1st half reflected all of that in abundance, and it really seemed to affect the players confidence. Against a better side we could have been more than 1 down, easily.

There was a real grit and determination about the team in the 2nd half though, and Archie has to take real credit for changing the shape of the team and using his subs at the right time.

I'm not so sure that United won't catch Hamilton. They could easily be just 9 behind Hamilton going into the split.

Accies home form is abysmal. They actually have managed to turn their synthetic pitch into a disadvantage. No mean feat. Long speculative punts upfield to Imrie being routine. And they actually wonder why a player like Crawford is less effective.

I think they'll manage to hang on as they seem capable of the regular coupon buster. Ironically after Saturday they'll be wishing us well in our next couple of games. It's almost certainly in our interest that Accies survive this season so that's an added incentive for us to beat Killie & United.

• Like 1

Hurrah! My winless streak is broken at last! Massive result and one that looked unlikely at half-time. If we can beat Killie, I'll maybe start looking up the table rather than over our shoulder.

As others have already pointed out, the thing that tipped the balance in our favour was switching Edwards and Fraser for the second half. I can understand why Archie deployed Edwards in a deeper role alongside Osman; from the few times I've seen him so far, his prominent attribute is his energy so I can see the logic in playing him there in Bannigan's absence. However, for what he made up in tenacity, he lacked in positioning and defensive nous, and was just a bit too keen to close down the ball at the expense of our shape. Allied to our inability to match Hamilton's tempo for most of the first half, it resulted in us turning over the ball far too easily and far too often.

With Edwards in a more advanced position, we were able to utilise his energy more effectively; his closing down of Hamilton's backline was incessant and very impressive. His header was brave and he only got there after breaking his neck to get into the box. Absolutely pin-point cross from Dools as well - and with his right foot. Is there no end to this man's talents?

It wouldn't have been easy for Welsh to readjust mentally to playing full-back only 15 minutes before the game starts; that doesn't excuse his abysmal defending for the opening goal however. It wasn't as if Kurtaj did anything particularly skilful to beat him, it was a simple turn back down the line and Welsh's attempts to block the cross were half-arsed to say the very least. It sort of typified the kind of lethargy that many of us have observed from him in recent weeks and the longer he played at full-back, the more likely Hamilton were to catch us out.

During the game, we discussed possible reshuffles to get Welsh out of the full-back position - Miller to RB, Osman to CB and Welsh into midfield - but that was all on the premise that Dumbuya was only on the bench to make up numbers. Barring one of his now trademark rampaging overlaps soon after coming on, he didn't maraud forward which I think was indicative that he wasn't fit; but just to have a guy who is more used to the positional requirements of full-back on the pitch was an instant improvement to our solidity. The 25 minutes will have done him the world of good and with the international break upon us now, I expect him to be more or less fully fit for Kilmarnock. Big player for us.

As is Lawless. I think it's vitally important that we don't lose Bannigan, Osman and Lawless all in the one close season - that could be disastrous and would give Archie a major rebuilding job. Lawless has consistently been our most threatening attacking option in the games I've seen this season and continued that good form on Saturday, at least in the second half. Great cross for Pogba's goal and his ability to keep the ball in tight spots helps the team greatly. One thing is for sure, he's going to have more potential suitors than United in the summer but I'd love to see him reunited with Erskine next season.

Pogba was deservedly Man of the Match in my opinion. I said the other week that he wasn't the most refined player and that he was simply a big nuisance - maybe that was unfair; some of the skill he demonstrated in the channels at times on Saturday was very good and he almost always made the ball stick. His hold-up play is very effective and he brings others into play well which are two crucial aspects of playing as a lone striker. Horses for courses between Pogba and Dools at the moment, and Archie definitely chose the right one for Saturday - the big Brazilian centre half got very little change out of the Pog.

Elsewhere, I thought Booth looked under the weather - he didn't look himself and was caught out once or twice. He must be due a dodgy performance though because he's been Mr Consistency this season. One of Archie's shrewdest signings. Miller did a sterling job at centre half; if we are to have any aspirations of challenging for top 6, we need a couple of steady hands in the squad like Miller who can come in for others.

Last word to the manager. Archie is on the verge of achieving what I think is the greatest feat of any Thistle manager during my time as a supporter. There's been times along the way where I've doubted him - I never doubted him as a player and I needn't have doubted him as a manager. Like Davie McParland, we've all got the pleasure of watching a Thistle team managed by a true Thistle legend. A golden era that we may never see again and one that we should all savour whilst it lasts.

• Like 4

Can anyone tell me when the last time we successfully survived for three consecutive seasons in the top-flight?

We only get relegated from the top flight directly after a managerial change: Auld leaves, we go down. Lambie goes twice, we go straight down after

Sticking with Archie through the leaner moments has been very wise. He's twice the manager he was 3 years ago, at least

• Like 1

We only get relegated from the top flight directly after a managerial change: Auld leaves, we go down. Lambie goes twice, we go straight down after

Sticking with Archie through the leaner moments has been very wise. He's twice the manager he was 3 years ago, at least

Correct. Where would we be if we (or the club) listened to some of the numbskulls on here that regularly posted that Archie must go, after every single defeat. Come to think of it, where are these guys now?....lol

The worry now is that Archie looks to seek pastures new.

It will happen and I must admit I have thought that this might be his last season at the club, however with Sevco coming up next season, he might just fancy the challenge to prove that we are still the 2nd best club (form wise) in Glasgow!

Edited by Lindau