Dross At Dingwall 09/04/2016.....the Biggie!

Lindau

To be fair, it will take a pretty freak set of results for us to end in eleventh. We win one and we're arithmetically safe as even though every side could catch us, it would be for all of them to do it together. In the end we probably won't even need that win, but it would be nice to guarantee it at the first opportunity.

• Like 1

No we don't. This is the kind of thing that every fan thinks of their club, but for us it isn't true. There's been many times over Archie's tenure that we have had must win games that we have won. Yesterday wasn't one of them but there we are. I'm already over it, and it's been a great season regardless.

I'm not sure how you can say that at this point.

To improve on last season we need to finish a place higher than we are now, winning more than 2 of our last 5 games, scoring 16 goals and losing none or become such an attractive club that we can sign a couple of goalscorers for next season.

Edited by scotty

I had a wee pop at Sean Welsh for being a bit lackadaisical in tracking back against Celtic and by means do I want to

make him out to be some kind of scapegoat for yesterday's defeat. But one small passage of play he was involved in

kind of summed up for me why I reckon we don't create enough goal scoring opportunities.

Sean takes a corner and floats in the bog standard cross. It glances off someone's head to the far side of the box where Abdul Osman does well

to control it and pings back a cross which goes over everyone to the back of the 6 yard box and out for a bye.

It frustrates the hell out of me that Sean doesn't seem to give a thought to showing a bit of guile and cunning to slip in on the blind side of the defence

where he might have got on the end of Abdul's cross. Instead he's jogging his way back to midfield having 'done his job' taking the corner, maybe following his pre match

instructions; I don't know.

It drives me crazy and for me it's like playing 'football by numbers' with no individual creativity where it matters.

I think this season has been testament to just how much of a model professional and proper Jags man Kris Doolan is. Scored 9 goals this season despite been resigned to the bench for a lot of the season, and being kept out of the squad by a guy that offers absolutely sod all as a goalscoring threat. A lot of other players would have been asking to move on and get first team football elsewhere, so fair play to the guy.

Archie's treatment of Doolan is bordering on the criminal.

What annoyed me most about yesterday was we were handed a lifeline by County and couldn't take it. They played virtually the whole of the 2nd half as if they were hanging on with nine men in the dying minutes of the game. Even against non scorers such as ourselves, with a draw of no use, they were playing ridiculously deep. Unfortunately we went along with this and played most of the second half as if it was the dying minutes of the game. No composure and little guile. Even our two best players Booth and Mustapha got a little panicky.

In the 2nd half Archie narrowed our formation, most probably the correct tactic under the circumstances, and made the appropriate substitutions. Where he might have erred was in delay, especially introducing Nesbitt. With County content to sit in there was little need for both Welsh and Osman on the field. Also Seaborne, who incidentally I don't think was blameless for the goal, should've pushed forward more into their half before releasing a pass. Not doing so just made County's defending more comfortable.

As a rule of thumb when you don't score you don't deserve a point (games away to Aberdeen & Celtic this season being exceptions to that rule) and yesterday was certainly no different. If it turns out a draw would've done us then I'll be ruing goals we didn't score far more than the one we let in.

• Like 3

I'm not sure how you can say that at this point.

To improve on last season we need to finish a place higher than we are now, winning more than 2 of our last 5 games, scoring 16 goals and losing none or become such an attractive club that we can sign a couple of goalscorers for next season.

You could argue that we have improved on last season as we were a sniff away from top 6. You are right though that the record books will only register an improvement if we finish with 47 points or more or in 7th spot

You could argue that we have improved on last season as we were a sniff away from top 6. You are right though that the record books will only register an improvement if we finish with 47 points or more or in 7th spot

As well as players trying to decide if we are an attractive club to sign for, or fans wondering if Firhill is a fun place to spend a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon.

Yes, that's a mystery to me! I'm delighted that he has signed up, but frustrated that he's basically been relegated to being a substitute for a visibly inferior player.

He hasn't though. Doolan has started far more games than Pogba this season. As much as I love Dools, he does go through spells when he isn't scoring and can be ineffectual in a lot of games. I'm not a big Pogba fan but he does offer something different. Every team in the world has competition for places, and no player will play every game. It isn't "bordering on criminal", it's just football.

• Like 1

fans wondering if Firhill is a fun place to spend a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon.

On course for our third successive season of top flight football, with a club legend as manager and a collection of some of the best players we have seen in decades (and the return next season of one the most "fun" players, in Erskine, that we have ever had). I would suggest that any Thistle fan who isn't enjoying this time, or who isn't aware that this really is a golden period, or who doesn't view it as "fun" needs their heads checked.

Edited by JesusTejero
  • Like 2

On course for our third successive season of top flight football, with a club legend as manager and a collection of some of the best players we have seen in decades (and the return next season of one the most "fun" players, in Erskine, that we have ever had). I would suggest that any Thistle fan who isn't enjoying this time, or who isn't aware that this really is a golden period, or who doesn't view it as "fun" needs their heads checked.

Well the ones we have lost since we were promoted certainly aren't.

It might be a golden period in terms of league position but that's all - being honest the overall standard of the league is abysmal. The most recent example being the Kilmarnock game. When was the last home match that could be described as exciting? The attendance figures don't lie.

Yip, that's about right. My general recollection of our games this season is very few glaring misses, simply a lack of chances created combined with a lack of goals from midfield.

eta Bannigan 1 goal, Fraser 1 goal, Stevenson 1 goal, Edwards 1 goal, Welsh & Osman both zilch. Roughly a combined 100 starts and a total of 4 goals (one a fluke) from these players. No individual blame there just an observation. Wide players like Miller, Lawless, Booth, Dumbuya and Amoo have all contributed to the tune of 12 goals.

Ehm.............what was that he did against Celtic then?

However that does not negate your point which is a perfectly valid one.

What annoyed me most about yesterday was we were handed a lifeline by County and couldn't take it. They played virtually the whole of the 2nd half as if they were hanging on with nine men in the dying minutes of the game. Even against non scorers such as ourselves, with a draw of no use, they were playing ridiculously deep. Unfortunately we went along with this and played most of the second half as if it was the dying minutes of the game. No composure and little guile. Even our two best players Booth and Mustapha got a little panicky.

In the 2nd half Archie narrowed our formation, most probably the correct tactic under the circumstances, and made the appropriate substitutions. Where he might have erred was in delay, especially introducing Nesbitt. With County content to sit in there was little need for both Welsh and Osman on the field. Also Seaborne, who incidentally I don't think was blameless for the goal, should've pushed forward more into their half before releasing a pass. Not doing so just made County's defending more comfortable.

As a rule of thumb when you don't score you don't deserve a point (games away to Aberdeen & Celtic this season being exceptions to that rule) and yesterday was certainly no different. If it turns out a draw would've done us then I'll be ruing goals we didn't score far more than the one we let in.

Entirely agree! It doesn't take a tactical,genius to see that Thistle along with most teams in Scotland are crying out for a player(s) to stick the ball in the net. Given our relative poverty of resources it cam be no surprise that our manager has opted to address our shortcomings at the back, before tackling the much more difficult and important deficit in our forward ,play.

In short despite a more encouraging pre-plot performance we were simply not good enough to make that jump this season to a top half of the table side.

It is vital that in the games remaining we adopt a positive and optimistic attitude

The management team at firhill will have to create a more attack minded setup next season as the current football will not

get bums on seats.To suggest this is a golden period shows how much thistle as a club and their fans have been denied consistent

top flight football. As already stated the standard is duff , but I hope next season our goals tally is greatly improved and a more attacking

approach adapted . With the addition of Erskine and some transfer dealings I hope we can sustain our position and attract more fans

back with attractive football and a top six spot.

As well as players trying to decide if we are an attractive club to sign for, or fans wondering if Firhill is a fun place to spend a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon.

I think premiership clubs will be much more "attractive" to players next season. They will more than likely get double the exposure than in the previous 4, for obvious reasons. As far as Firhill being a fun place to spend time, quite a few of the current team seem to think so as they signed 3 year deals or some extension to their contract.

To suggest this is a golden period shows how much thistle as a club and their fans have been denied consistent

top flight football.

Eh? We are a club who have historically been in the First Divisin or lower reaches of the Premier (for a few seasons at a time). To say we have been "denied" it suggests we have an inherent right to it, which we don't. Three consecutive seasons of top flight football led by a club legend and with some quality players is, for a club like ours, a relative golden period. I'm amazed that anyone who has supported Thistle for any reasonable period of time could be displeased with our current lot.

We lose 1-0 away to Ross County missing out on a top six place by one point and now we're an unattractive team with a management who don't know what they're doing and everything is back to being shite? Dear God....

No but we are still waiting to see if we have made any progression over this season as a whole.

We lose 1-0 away to Ross County missing out on a top six place by one point and now we're an unattractive team with a management who don't know what they're doing and everything is back to being shite? Dear God....

It does appear that for some people the baby and the bath water have gone their separate ways.