Dross At Dingwall 09/04/2016.....the Biggie!

Lindau

No offense, but are you a vampire? It's the only thing that can explain your aversion to a tactic that's been part of the game since it first started to be played....

My hope is that, after totting up the number of crosses and corner kicks and the number of goals resulting from, the conclusion will be made that the problem is not the inadequate crosses but making do with crosses and corners instead of going more directly for goal. Interestingly, Muzzy realised it and started doing just that, even at the cost of leaving his defensive positiin exposed. It made sense and some fouls were drawn from County players when the ball was played towards the opposition goal. The way that we avoid taking the ball through the centre must also have a part to play in us not getting many penalties. We simply don't offer a goal-scoring threat, for all the huff and puff, because attacks follow an outdated tactic. When combined with not having a tall, physical centre-forward, it's the triumph of hope over experience.

• Like 1

When combined with not having a tall, physical centre-forward, it's the triumph of hope over experience.

Thought that was why Pogba was in the team to play as the aforementioned tall centre forward but bottom line he's not good enough and unless there is a dramatic turnaround an absolute waste of a wage on a limited budget.

If killie win their 5 games they have 47 points ?

I don't think that Kilmarnock team will win 3 of the next 5 games.

Everyone should chill out. The "split" is a bit of a strange concept and will probably die out, I think we are overestimating the significance of it all.

The result of poor choices by the managerial team.

Scully is worth a goal to the opposition, and on this occasion he failed to get down quickly enough to a shot, although he had a clear view of it, and later on he flapped at a ball in the box instead of catching it.

Most of the first half was wasted trying to compete with Ross County at hoofball. Eventually, when it dawned that that wasn't bringing any return, the punts came in time after time after time from the wings. One scramble in the opposition box and one shot (from the area in front of the goalmouth) were the closest we came to scoring, although the latter,like every high cross in, was saved by Scott Fox. We could have retained possession and kept punting in high balls until next season without scoring. One actual shot on target.

The priority for next season is to learn about modern offensive play, because this old-fashioned emphasis on crosses is not working, and the low score record confirms that. Facs are chiels that winna ding.

You're absolutely obsessed with crosses. Really odd.

Thought that was why Pogba was in the team to play as the aforementioned tall centre forward but bottom line he's not good enough and unless there is a dramatic turnaround an absolute waste of a wage on a limited budget.

This 100% - must win game and top scorer on bench ....again! I'd be mightily peed off if I was Dools tonight. It's like watching Lukas Akins all over again!

It can be a good tactic depending on the centre forward and the delivery but unfortunately this season we've had neither , watched West Ham v Arsenal , all West Hams goals scored by Andy Carroll were scored from crosses , different level obviously but it can work .

I think this season has been testament to just how much of a model professional and proper Jags man Kris Doolan is. Scored 9 goals this season despite been resigned to the bench for a lot of the season, and being kept out of the squad by a guy that offers absolutely sod all as a goalscoring threat. A lot of other players would have been asking to move on and get first team football elsewhere, so fair play to the guy.

• Like 3

It can be a good tactic depending on the centre forward and the delivery but unfortunately this season we've had neither , watched West Ham v Arsenal , all West Hams goals scored by Andy Carroll were scored from crosses , different level obviously but it can work .

http://www.wsj.com/articles/are-outdated-soccer-tactics-a-cross-to-bear-keeping-possession-is-the-way-to-goal-1402007011

I always found this a really interesting article/

• Like 1

Gutted. One point, just one measly point and we would have been in the top six. :( Ach well, we'll just need to 'win' the bottom six now.

I thought that too - but apparently had it been a draw then we would have to have waited until Tuesday night to see if ICT beat Hearts - if they did then they would have gone above our theoretical 42 point total on goal difference!

All academic now of course - disappointing today but as has been said elsewhere - 3 points from the first 9 games has proved to be too much of a handicap.

as regards the remaining fixtures - are we due to play Hamilton and ICT at home and Dundee, Dundee U. and Killie away? or will they just footer about with the fixtures as usual?

Absolute murder today, Archie has to accept alot of the blame for that again today. Will need to see the goal again to see if Scully was at fault, from my view Cerny would've done better. Brutal decision to start Pogba, absolute terrible player, waste of a jersey, he didnt start vs dundee utd, Doolan scores then is relegated to the bench, what was Archie thinking? Welsh taking every corner and free kick so deep is torture aswell, I've been down for the last 3 games and it's staring out at me he is a fecking diddy at this level and cant take a set piece, why can't Archie see this.great result midweek but we've blown that big style today, we had loads of possession but 1 shot on target in 94 mins against a woeful County who had one shot on target and scored it.I'd have hooked Pogba after 10 mins as he just didn't look up for it, I'd chase that puddin before he signs an extension, he's got to be one of the worst strikers we've had, offers absolutely nothing and I was embarassed watching him and hearing County fans laugh at him

• Like 1

Not enough goals throughout the team this season. We deserve to be bottom six.

Yip, that's about right. My general recollection of our games this season is very few glaring misses, simply a lack of chances created combined with a lack of goals from midfield.

eta Bannigan 1 goal, Fraser 1 goal, Stevenson 1 goal, Edwards 1 goal, Welsh & Osman both zilch. Roughly a combined 100 starts and a total of 4 goals (one a fluke) from these players. No individual blame there just an observation. Wide players like Miller, Lawless, Booth, Dumbuya and Amoo have all contributed to the tune of 12 goals.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Big disappointment today but thought the team gave their all and the support who made the trip were superb. After the start to the season we had, Archie, Shaggy and the whole team should be given credit for turning things round and giving us a shot at top six. Hoping we can consolidate on what has been built since Archie took over, make certain of top league status for a fourth season as soon as possible and build for next season.

Edited by Motherwell Jag
  • Like 2

I have no idea what the problem is but I know when it comes to the crunch games in cups and league we bottle it. Never looked like scoring today and always looked as if a disaster was just around the corner. Sports psychologist needed.

How many times over the years? Major disappointment again. One win and we could be chasing a place in Europe with no pressure on, instead of that we need to watch results of the teams below us

I thought that too - but apparently had it been a draw then we would have to have waited until Tuesday night to see if ICT beat Hearts - if they did then they would have gone above our theoretical 42 point total on goal difference!

All academic now of course - disappointing today but as has been said elsewhere - 3 points from the first 9 games has proved to be too much of a handicap.

as regards the remaining fixtures - are we due to play Hamilton and ICT at home and Dundee, Dundee U. and Killie away? or will they just footer about with the fixtures as usual?

In my opinion the reason for this was that we couldn't afford to bring in what we needed to get a good start, due to how low we finished the season before. Each place dropped last season cost us about £100,00. So having 5 games with nothing to lose and the opportunity to play our passing game in front of bigger crowds could have increased interest and maybe upped the attendances at the start of next season. Scrambling about for points to keep above the play-off position is not going to make for good football. How many players wages are going to be used to fix the pitch? So what will our situation be after the summer?

Not scoring yesterday has much deeper implications and depressed me much more than any other result this season (so far). :eyebrow:

I have no idea what the problem is but I know when it comes to the crunch games in cups and league we bottle it. Never looked like scoring today and always looked as if a disaster was just around the corner. Sports psychologist needed.

No we don't. This is the kind of thing that every fan thinks of their club, but for us it isn't true. There's been many times over Archie's tenure that we have had must win games that we have won. Yesterday wasn't one of them but there we are. I'm already over it, and it's been a great season regardless.

• Like 3