What's Happening?

jagfaelivi

Much as I like the fella I wouldn't want Balatoni back. I feel I have to say that before pointing out that we've missed his distribution and his forward thinking approach. Both Frans and Seaborne were poor at starting off moves with Lindsay marginally better. Big Dan favoured the punt up the field whilst Freddie held onto the ball that second too long. Bit of waste when you've a five man midfield.

Hopefully we can bring in a centreback that can get the ball forward like Conrad but doesn't defend like him.

• Like 1

https://twitter.com/...808904020889601

Frans has announced he is away on twitter ... not the news I wanted to hear tbh !

So much for all the stories about him absolutely loving Glasgow, being desperate for Thistle to offer him an extended contract etc...

The lesson?: Don't believe a word you read in the media. Always be sceptical!

ETA: All the best to him wherever he turns up, as long as it's not one of our rivals. Decent player for us, who maybe could have developed further.

Edited by Jaggernaut

We only offered him a years deal and he wanted a longer one and a guarantee of games, Archie i hope knows what he is doing with this as i hope he knows what he is doing with Gallagher.

If that's true then it means that Miller might be in line for more games alongside Lindsay. Would people be happy with that as our first-choice pairing?

If that's true then it means that Miller might be in line for more games alongside Lindsay. Would people be happy with that as our first-choice pairing?

No matter what Gary does, we now need to bring in two central defenders, urgently. He didn't play in central defence too often, but when he did I thought Gary looked very good and had a bit of pace about him. Liam has potential, but he had several dodgy games last season and still lacks a bit of know how and also a bit of pace. Getting Jack back on loan for the season would be a good move as I think he was getting regular games with Shrewsbury at the latter end of the season.

No matter what Gary does, we now need to bring in two central defenders, urgently. He didn't play in central defence too often, but when he did I thought Gary looked very good and had a bit of pace about him. Liam has potential, but he had several dodgy games last season and still lacks a bit of know how and also a bit of pace. Getting Jack back on loan for the season would be a good move as I think he was getting regular games with Shrewsbury at the latter end of the season.

Only 6 games at Shrewsbury.

Was never convinced by Frans. Much preferred Seaborne.

I don't like gentlemen playing at CB. I like thugs there. Like the Inverness Caley bloke.

Miller is now an absolute priority along with a nasty snarling big guy.

I have never liked Thistle playing 3 at the back, especially after Tannadice but Miller could play on the right of a back 3 which could release our attacking wing backs. Not sure if Booth could play on the left in this format? Thinking of Penrice at LWB. Frans was utterly useless at Tannadice. Might give Archie a plan B.

Frans didn't deserve any more than a 1 year but It ain't easy finding ready made replacements. I wouldn't touch BalAtoni with a barge pole after his dreadful season at Killie.

We shall trust Archie on this one.

A lot of folk seem to be allowing the fact Frans was a nice guy to cloud the fact he was a very average defender. He would have been solid enough back-up but I wouldn't have been too confident with him as a starter. He was far too cumbersome for my liking, quite rash at times in terms of tackling (first game of last season against Hamilton, for example) and his positioning and tendency to come charging out of position was concerning.

I suspect Archie saw him as no more than back-up and offered an appropriate deal in terms of recompense and length of contract. Anyone who thinks he was worth more than another year on the back of his performances last season must be off their rocker. He's won a watch with a three-year contract at Lierse so good on him.

• Like 1

I suspect Archie saw him as no more than back-up and offered an appropriate deal in terms of recompense and length of contract. Anyone who thinks he was worth more than another year on the back of his performances last season must be off their rocker. He's won a watch with a three-year contract at Lierse so good on him.
Sound about right and he likely would have accepted the terms offered if the 3 year deal back home hadn't been on the table as well.

Statistically, our defensive record is quite impressive with Frans & Seabourne...but I have never been entirely convinced. They are both very good at heading the ball away and that is a real asset in Scottish Football where the ball is regularly in the air...we lost far more easy goals from corners, free kicks and crosses in our first season back in the top League.

They were both vulnerable to quick payers running at them and their distribution skills were limited - surprisingly so for Big Freddie as I expected more from someone brought up outwith the UK. He does seem like a genuinely decent guy so good luck to him.

I rather thought they might only have been offered reduced terms to extend their time at Firhill as presumably they were signed on very good contracts so I am not overly surprised or disappointed that they have moved on. It's a bit like when Dowie & Lee Mair left the club after doing well enough...we have to hope that Archie is able to bring in replacements who are at least as capable if not upgrades.

Liam Lindsay needs to step up his game - he has potential but had a few awful games last season.

Miller is a good solid professional but in my view just an ideal squad player.

Bannigan was our best player last season...we will really miss him.

I think we need to calm down a bit.

Nobody we've lost (defensively) is irreplaceable and there's plenty of time to get in new players before the season starts in 2 months.

It's about 5.5 weeks till 1st game. I think we should all just step back, take deep breaths, mull over things in a positive and rational manner then PANIC !

• Like 1

If we have aspirations of trying to secure a top half finish, we're going to need solid, dependable players like Miller in the squad so from that perspective, I'm very sorry to see him go. However at his stage in his career, he has to be playing most weeks and that isn't something we can guarantee if Dumbuya is fit. He'd be a stellar signing for any Championship side.

We may have had the fourth best defensive record in the league however it was quite evident in the closing weeks of the season that Cerny played a pivotal role in that statistic.

Also disappointed to see Gallacher depart. If we'd been lucky enough to sign him a couple of years ago, he'd have been our number one without a shadow of doubt. Not too clued up on his qualities as a coach but he seemed to be well liked around the club and I presume played a significant role in recommending that we sign Cerny.

I wonder if Queen of the South's goalkeeping coach is looking for a gig a bit closer to home...

Here's hoping they have a plan. The 4th ? best defence in the league has been decimated in a few short weeks. I am not feeling so confident about the coming season just now.

how good was the defence when Cerny was injured? How many clean sheets did we keep when he was injured? That too tells a story

So much for all the stories about him absolutely loving Glasgow, being desperate for Thistle to offer him an extended contract etc...

The lesson?: Don't believe a word you read in the media. Always be sceptical!

He was offered a one year deal by us with the added attraction of a 20% wage cut

I don't think loyalty comes into that option especially when offered a 3 year deal by your local club who you started with as a 15 year old ;)

I guess his injuries really cost him in that regard?

• Like 2

At this point happy to give Archie the benefit of doubt and trust he will find suitable replacements for Dan, Frans & Miller however I would have preferred he managed to retain at least one of them. Sure he probably backs himself to get the job done but feel he has given himself an uphill task that could have been avoided. Shame too as except for Banzo he has done a good job until now keeping the core of the team together.

It would be easier to have stability and push for a top 6 place if we don't need to gamble for key positions, I'd have preferred he was out searching for a gem of a striker than trying to fix something that clearly wasn't broken.

• Like 2

I'd have preferred he was out searching for a gem of a striker than trying to fix something that clearly wasn't broken.

Completely agree. Archie has said for months now that his summer mission was to get us the players that would help boost our attacking options. But suddenly the priority has shifted and we need to rebuild a defence. Real shame as I thought we had the defence sorted, and we would see a couple of really exciting attacking minded players being brought in to play alongside Lawless, Erskine and Doolan.

Archie has taken a bit of flack, but I don't know how much control he has over the contract negotiations. The Board and Maxy have the responsibility for the purse strings, so I must question their judgement when a guy like Frans has his wage slashed by 20%, and then is quickly snapped up by a far superior team than ours in by far a superior league.