Partick Thistle Vs Ict Saturday 6 August

jagfox

IT wasn't the most scintillating game with neither team looking sharp in the 1st 30 mins. As well as Erskine being an inspired signing,I think the signing of Gordon looks to be a good bit of business, even although it wasn't planned. He looks a solid fullback and did well again when he had to go into CD after Lindsay went off. I don't think Devine or Lindsay were troubled at all by ICT. There were one or two misplaced passes by the midfield which could have put the defence under pressure, but Inverness weren't good enough to take advantage. I was a bit disappointed in Amoo(goal apart) as he didn't take a man on all afternoon. Our distribution from the back needs to improve or we need to start playing through the midfield. An encouraging start.

The booking Gordon received seemed ridiculously harsh. If refs hand out yellow cards for that (I think his first tackle around the 4 minute mark) and then are consistent you could easily end up with eight aside.

He gave the ref the chance to book him. However In Scotland that means just looking at him.

Delighted with the result. Thought it was a scrappy game, but ICT certainly didn't set up to allow us to play. May be a horrible cliché, but a couple of seasons ago we wouldn't have won that game. Once again it is a bit of magic from Erskine that really made the difference.

Was actually impressed with the rearguard today. Worried before the match how Lindsay and Devine would partner up, but they looked good. A couple of times it could be argued that we should have closed down sooner to stop shots, but I thought they looked composed. Saw a picture after the game of Lindsay with a massive cast/bandage around his entire leg, so it looks like a sore one. Looks like we will need to add another CB out of necessity.

Thought the Ref was on par with what we usually see, its the linesman, are they not part game???. When Arch got spoken to by the Ref, it all came from an incident where the ICT player gave his impression of the Harlem Globe Trotters and knocked it on with I believe both his hands. I will concede the ref turned at that moment....But the Dick with the flag was 5 yards from play and did nothing as was the fourth official. what is the point of these characters even turning up for the game.............

Only 2 disappointments for me today - the PA system returning to the bad old days and the attendance. 2,700 home fans on the opening day when there is such a positive feeling around the club. I know some people might still be on holiday but we really do need to be hitting nearer 3,000 on a regular basis to give Archie more to work with in the transfer windows.

Aye, I know ICT aren't the most attractive opposition but a sub-3000 crowd on the opening day is disappointing.
  • Like 1

Thought we were pretty poor in the first half, without looking under any real threat, as we kept punting high balls. ICT closed us down well and our midfield was struggling to get any foothold in the game. That said, there were a couple of moments when our forward line linked well, particularly Dools and Erskine, then Erskine's brilliantly taken goal opened up the match. When the game opened up we started to find space for the midfield to receive the ball and play. Lawless, Osman and Welsh all came into the game and we looked threatening when we had the ball.

What was most pleasing is that ICT are no mugs. They've had a steady team for a while and have more than held their own in the spl. So, it was great to see us get through a wobbly first half, score from a bit of brilliance and then outplay them in the second half.

We look stronger and smarter than I think I've ever seen a Thistle team in my time.

• Like 1

I thought both teams didn't play that well but we managed to knuckle down and get the result.

Great to have erskine back and a wee bit of magic put us infront. Amoo scoring one of his usual goals from a couple of yards out made it safe.

Was impressed with the defence of a whole and ICT didn't look like scoring all game. Only issue is especially in the first half the hopeless punts up the park from Lindsay and Devine. I don't think any of them got within 10 yards of a thistle player. First time we really played the ball on the deck we scored.

Thought the ref was shocking and forgot that this was a contact sport. Also expected more of a crowd. I know ICT don't bring a large travelling support but on the first day of the season we should be bringing more fans in.

The first goal was a brilliant team move topped off by a sublime finish from Erskine. Booth and Lawless were the chief "assisters", but the move went back several passes even before Booth got on the ball.

I was going to downgrade the second goal as a bit of a sclaff, but in its own way it was a fine team effort as well. Welsh accurate free kick, Osman excellent header across, Lindsay does well to divert the ball goalwards, and Amoo feeds off the scraps. 4 players all doing good work.

A spectacular goal from open play and a scramble into the net from a set piece. I can see us scoring many more of both types of goal than we seemed capable of doing last season.

Only 2 disappointments for me today - the PA system returning to the bad old days and the attendance. 2,700 home fans on the opening day when there is such a positive feeling around the club. I know some people might still be on holiday but we really do need to be hitting nearer 3,000 on a regular basis to give Archie more to work with in the transfer windows.

I think it's been clear for many years now that 2700 is probably around our average home attendance and I don't know what can be done, if anything, to increase it.

I thought ziggy's yellow was a definite yellow, stupid challenge.

From the highlights it looked like he might not have got a yellow if he'd walked away rather than complained to the ref.

Also, the foul by the ICT player for the free kick that gave us the 2nd goal looked like a similar tackle. Was he cautioned?

Great we got a win. I expected to be there but I'm stuck overseas just now for work :(

From the highlights it looked like he might not have got a yellow if he'd walked away rather than complained to the ref.

Also, the foul by the ICT player for the free kick that gave us the 2nd goal looked like a similar tackle. Was he cautioned?

Great we got a win. I expected to be there but I'm stuck overseas just now for work :(

1) Even though Ziggy won the ball, it was a tackle from the rear, so by strict letter of the law, no complaints about a yellow. Given that it was the first serious challenge only 3 minutes in, maybe a referee with a bit more flexibility and understanding than yesterday's robot might have issued a strong warning first.

2) ICT player not booked on that occasion and in general they had to work a lot harder to get themselves into the book than our players did.

3) Sorry you couldn't make it, but hopefully you will be at Firhill for more good matches (and wins) as the season progresses.

• Like 1

Very satisfying win.

Thought we took a while to notice that every single ICT move was starting with McNaughton. They constantly tried to move it to him and we let him wander 30 or 40 yards and pick a pass time after time. Even with that, they never managed to threaten seriously.

Great to see us win comfortably without playing our best, the guys battled well and that's an encouraging sign as our fitness levels and sharpness improve in the coming weeks.

Where is you, Jaggy?

Graeme Mcgarry on twitter who covers alot of Thistle stuff has said Cerny and Lindsay are 50/50 for tomorrow.

If there is an doubt i would rather we left them out. The whole Cerny ankle thing worries me greatly because without a fit Cerny we are in deep shit.