Motherwell 24/09/16

Lindau

Football clubs are crying out for someone with you skills and ability to recognise quality after a couple of games. And thats without seeing him train.

Have you considered a career change?

Were bottom of the league and have track and fielders instead of footballers, have you considered that?

Were bottom of the league and have track and fielders instead of footballers, have you considered that?

100% correct. may be Archie will sign Bolt, apparently he's fast, just like Azeez he cant play football either but maybe there's a wee back hander in it. Come back George Graham all's forgiven.

The pressure is on Sevco after today, after all, it's their divine right to be first or second in the league and they are in the bottom 6 now. Watched the game today and they were unlucky. They were the better side. Think Saturday will depend on the way Archie sets the team up. They are half decent going forward but have definite failings at the back. Think Archie will try to keep it tight and try and get the fans on their back. The one thing we don't want is losing an early goal.

It'll feel even worse if we try to keep it tight and then lose a late goal...... which is probably exactly what will happen.

And having just watched the goal again, don't know how anyone can attribute any blame to Gordon.

Because he has become the new scapegoat and was probably to blame for the disallowed goal as well. Now the 'experts' think he should be replaced by that top right back Christie Elliot next week

Because he has become the new scapegoat and was probably to blame for the disallowed goal as well. Now the 'experts' think he should be replaced by that top right back Christie Elliot next week

Wrong, it's because he has been poor since the start of the season. Thought he was a great signing, but been really disappointed in him so far. Teams are now beginning to target that area to launch balls into because they know there is a weakness there between Gordon and Devine. Christie Elliot had a terrific game at left back on Saturday and I have seen him play very well at right back as well. Maybe no coincidence that he has been playing a few of the recent development games in that position, but I guess you haven't been at them

Watched the goal again a few times and I would put 100% of the blame on Devine.

Saw the Aberdeen v Rangers game and Aberdeen were very lucky to come away with 3 points. On another day all the points could have easily went the other way. Rangers are far form perfect but they are a good side that will probably be top four at the end of the season. Very hard game next week.

Agree with the more sensible posts on this thread.

But I thought we looked quite good, some people said Motherwell looked "off" I would be more inclined to say we didn't let them play.

A lot of people saying Doolan would have taken the chances Azeez missed, true that may be, but i'm not sure Doolan would have got into those positions to score in the first place. From what I saw on Saturday the only thing Azeez lacked was putting the ball in the net, which if it continues this way is going to be a big problem for the season. But I think the goals will come, hopefully it's just a confidence thing.

As for losing the late goal, substitutions played a part. I would have liked to have seen Lawless stay on, thought he was doing well and would have preferred another attacking player in place of Erskine. Welsh was too negative an option IMO and we've seen it happen before which is quite frustrating.

Team mindset is another issue right now, if you are a team on the back of multiple wins the pressure is off and it's a lot easier to close out a game, we're the opposite right now. :(

As for atmosphere me and a few NS regulars were in hospitality for birthday celebrations, so obviously when we return normal service will be resumed. :lol:

• Like 1

It's as much to do with the combination of him and Devine on that side. They're not communicating with each other. Watched it from the North stand on Saturday and Mc Donald got away form Gordon several times far too easily. We are losing goals we shouldn't be , simple punts into the box.

All our good play from middle to front means nothing when you conceed goals that basically need no build up.

The failing to sign another central defender before the next window could be a disaster for us and yes I would play Elliot at RB next week if we cant get Ziggy to switch himself on.

As for atmosphere me and a few NS regulars were in hospitality for birthday celebrations, so obviously when we return normal service will be resumed. :lol:

Ah, so you were in the birthday rabble up the Alan Rough suite on Saturday Graeme....lol. Hope the picture TT took of your party turned out well. Was a good day up till the 82nd minute!

Ah, so you were in the birthday rabble up the Alan Rough suite on Saturday Graeme....lol. Hope the picture TT took of your party turned out well. Was a good day up till the 82nd minute!

Haha yeah, I was trying to be sensible and civilised since it was the JHS, had Azeez taken his chances i'm sure we would have been told to shutup.

He did actually, it's not easy to make me look like a normal human being in a picture and he managed it, which I thought was incredible. Actually makes me look like the birthday boy but it was one of the lads at the back :lol:

It's as much to do with the combination of him and Devine on that side. They're not communicating with each other. Watched it from the North stand on Saturday and Mc Donald got away form Gordon several times far too easily. We are losing goals we shouldn't be , simple punts into the box.

All our good play from middle to front means nothing when you conceed goals that basically need no build up.

The failing to sign another central defender before the next window could be a disaster for us and yes I would play Elliot at RB next week if we cant get Ziggy to switch himself on.

I think it was solely Devine to blame for the goal but you are correct that generally the weak point of our defence is the lack of clear communication and cooperation of Ziggy and Devine. I observed as much in the Hearts and St Johnstone games.

I'm not convinced that the replacement of Erskine with Welsh was as regressive a move as some are making out. It's not like Welsh was being told to play in the Erskine role - he dropped in next to Barton, with Edwards moving into a more advanced position. I can see why Archie went with that option, as Edwards has the energy to press their defence in a manner similar to Erskine. McDaid could have been introduced instead, with either Amoo or Lawless being moved inside, but I'm not convinced that the former would be that effective in such a role and Lawless was having a decent game on the flank. We lost our grip on the game around this time, yes, but even with the benefit of hindsight I'm not convinced that any of the other options available to Archie would have avoided this. We only have one Erskine after all.

I'm not convinced that the replacement of Erskine with Welsh was as regressive a move as some are making out. It's not like Welsh was being told to play in the Erskine role - he dropped in next to Barton, with Edwards moving into a more advanced position. I can see why Archie went with that option, as Edwards has the energy to press their defence in a manner similar to Erskine. McDaid could have been introduced instead, with either Amoo or Lawless being moved inside, but I'm not convinced that the former would be that effective in such a role and Lawless was having a decent game on the flank. We lost our grip on the game around this time, yes, but even with the benefit of hindsight I'm not convinced that any of the other options available to Archie would have avoided this. We only have one Erskine after all.

You're missing the point, GotB. It was Welsh that came on and that's too good an opportunity to not blame him for the defeat, the rain and the Saturday night draw numbers.

But yes an attacking midfielder got injured, he was subbed by a defensive midfielder to allow an attacking midfielder move into his more natural position. A completely logical substitution when you're not chasing the game. So you could put some of the blame down to a tiring team (I reckon Barton, if not for Erskine, was sure to be replaced) or you can just single out Welsh being on the pitch as some sort of turning point in the match.

• Like 2

Personally I thought the midfield dropping out in the last 15/20 minutes had as much to do with Barton, Edwards and Lawless running out of energy as it had to do with Welsh coming on. I guess, Archie has instructed Sean to try and hold out for the win. By the time he came on we were already starting to get pushed further and further back by the Well midfield. They replaced Moult with McDonald and brought on a younger fitter guy in midfield and that's what changed the game for me as much as Erskine going off. It's not all about what our side does. It was a shrewd tactical move by a Manager with a ton of experience.

And having just watched the goal again, don't know how anyone can attribute any blame to Gordon. The biggest issue was that they had more men in goalscoring positions than we had defending. First the right back had too much time to measure up what to do, Lawless had to track his man over to the other side and couldn't get back across in time and Elliot couldn't get out as he was tracking the man that Lindsay eventually picked up. Lindsay initially had McDonald but passed him off to Devine as he went to cover the bigger striker going towards the near post. McDonald ghosted in between the two just as Devine had noticed a late run from a midfielder that Edwards had originally, but let get away and went to try and match that run. He should have stuck with McDonald. Gordon stuck with his man all the way. So for me, Devine has to shoulder some blame but so too must the midfield for letting so many Well players get into dangerous positions.

A lot of positives to take from yesterday. I thought the first 45 was the quickest, most entertaining football we have played, in a very long time. It was a joy to watch. It was clear that it stemmed from the midfield pairing of Barton and Edwards. They absolutely bossed the middle of the park. Ironically, it was the second 45 which brought us more chances on goal.

Scully looked assured, bossed his 6 yard box and committed to coming for and claiming cross balls. Two outstanding saves in the second half. Boy, does he deserve a clean sheet!

Words can't describe Elliott's contribution yesterday. For his first game back, his level of fitness was incredible. So tough in the tackle! But also knowledgable enough to know when to just boss someone off the ball. Linked up well with Lawless going forward.

However, on the other side Gordon is really struggling to find the form everyone knows he is capable of. I don't know what it is, but there's something missing.

In the middle Lindsay and Devine looked composed for the majority of the time. Devine was really comfortable on the ball and Liam kept it simple. With time they will grow in confidence. I commented yesterday. I just want them to do the Bruce/Pallister job. Keep it simple.

In front of them Barton and Edwards were immense. Edwards especially. He was everywhere doing all the donkey work for Barton. His energy drove us forward. A big difference to what we are used to. Regards Barton, all the folk who have spent the last couple of weeks greeting, why sign someone and not play him, it was obvious why he hadn't featured. He's not match fit. But on yesterday's evidence, we have got a gifted player once he is fit. So comfortable on the ball. I would have no concerns about the pair of them being our first choice pairing.

I've been a big critic of Lawless, probably since we got promoted, but yesterday he offered so much defensively, dropping back to left wing back when Elliott tucked inside, covering their right backs runs.

Erskine is Erskine, the guy is just a joy to watch.

Amoo is slowly getting back to last seasons form, first half I thought he was brilliant, but seemed to fade in the second.

azeez, what can you say. The big man offers a completely different option to what we have had before. Probably the player Archie has been looking for, but struggled to find since Craig left the club. He caused so many problems for their defence, with him and Erskine chasing down their back four, forcing them into mistakes. Like v St Johnstone, he was winning us throw ins up at their 18 yard box, from nothing. Essential to take the pressure off our defence. I'm willing to say every chance he had yesterday was from his own hard work. So he missed them, life's too short to worry about that. The fact that he gets himself into these positions and offers so much between the half way line and 18 yard line means we only have one thing to work on, his finishing. Get that and we have two fantastic options up front.

It's disappointing to see some of the comments on here regards Azeez, we really have some short sighted folk in our support. It seems we are far to quick to pass judgement and give some players absolutely no chance to settle at a new club, in a new city, and get themselves up to full fitness. The game is littered with players who don't hit the ground running. Some of our fans inability to recognise any positives is disappointing. But it just reflects poorly on them, rather than the player the slate.

I think the right sub was not Welsh, yesterday. I'd have brought on McDaid and moved Amoo into the middle. From what I hear McDaid is showing up well in the reserves. It would have maintained the same style and shape that had been working. Welsh's introduction slowed the pace of the game. It's also worth noting that Barton became more involved in everything, as Welsh wasn't offering anywhere near the same effectiveness as Edwards had, before him, in that position.

Based on yesterday's performance we have nothing to fear going to Ibrox, I'd love us to keep the same 11, and maintain the same pace.

These 2 quotes summed up my thoughts to the game.