Lindsay For Scotland

Vinnyjag

With GS about to name a squad for the friendly against Canada and the Qualifier against Slovenia, surely this would be an ideal time to include big Liam in the squad?

I am not suggesting for a minute that he plays both games but surely a part of the Canada game would be a great and deserved introduction to the international set up.

I know by promoting his involvement in the Scotland team we are inadvertently teeing him up to be sold, but he is a solid Scottish defender, who is arguably the best in the league.

• Like 1

He might well be just getting caught in the radar now. I'd say if he hadn't skied his shot against Accies he'd be the talk of the steamie. Be difficult to ignore a defender involved in a couple of clean sheets who's also scoring goals.

Like Ian I think he'll miss out just now. If he leaves in the summer for a good sum of money lo and behold he'll be capped at first opportunity.

• Like 1

Seems like there's a recognition amongst players (and the media?) about how poor the Scotland talent recognition system is, what a terrible reflection on Scotland as a whole and on the Scottish set up, what ever happened to - your good enough you get picked no matter who you play for, it's the old firm or any English league that seems to be the criteria now?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39148187

The playing for a bigger club argument shouldn't hold water but I realise it does. What's the better achievement, playing as a central defender for a diddy club and soaking up countless pressure and gaining clean sheets or playing for a bigger club when the ball is 80% of the time in the opposition half? Roughie was one of only two full timers when he was getting capped regularly. He had to make a series of fine saves in just about every game he played. Keepers at some of the top clubs might only have been called on once or twice to perform at the same level as Rough.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

The whole big team/old firm thing goes right through all of the ages and not helped with the journalists. I can't remember if it was rob mclean or someone posting about the Scotland U16s midweek, all he could comment on was Dembele from Celtic and Gilmour from Rangers both start, not a mention of anyone else!

• 2 weeks later...