Motherwell 08/04/2017

Lindau

Huge game for both clubs. Really thought they would beat Hamilton last night but they are right in the relegation mix and we don't need to discuss what happens if we win or Killie get beat. Pretty sure they will bring a good crowd and hopefully after last night and what is at stake, we will have a bigger crowd than usual. 1-0 Jags

Huge game for us.

I want us to forget all about 6th position now and focus on going higher. I'll be disappointed if we get in top six and are satisfied with that. Hearts are there for the taking and catching St Johnstone is far from impossible, especially if we can take 6 points from Motherwell and the hu.ns.

No letting up Jags, we've been excellent and we should be looking to keep that level and standard up and see where it takes us.

Don't know about St Johnstone, but Hearts are in total freefall and are definitely catchable if we make the top 6. A win over Sevco and a Top 5/6 finish will finish off a fantastic season, considering where we were about 15/16 weeks ago and the start we had to the season.

• Like 1

Not so sure about calling it a "huge game" unless you're one who regularly calls just about every home game "huge" . For once the result is very unlikely to have an effect on our top six aspirations and if the new challenge is to overtake Hearts then I would suggest that's far less of importance than getting into the top six. I admit tho' I'm taking a subjective view on Saturday and know I won't be nearly as nervous as I was for instance last week v County or at Rugby Pk. If you've got high blood pressure as I do you've gotta control your level of "hugeness nerves". :)

While it is important to keep the momentum going, with the results we have managed recently, it has taken all the pressure off this game. Kilmarnock would need to beat Celtic's unbeaten record to give themselves a chance. Hopefully as many punters as possible turn up and enjoy the game without any fear or worry of the implications of the result. Sing all the songs in the Thistle hymn book and enjoy a good scoop when we have won :fan:

If we play anywhere near as good as we did in the 2nd half last night we will simply blow them away.

I very much hope that all jags fans who can be there make sure that they attend on Saturday because this team will not be around forever

My flight from Bangkok via Dubai due in at 12.35 but even if delayed, I'll be there for 60, 45 or even the last 30 minutes...

• Like 2

Don't know about St Johnstone, but Hearts are in total freefall and are definitely catchable if we make the top 6. A win over Sevco and a Top 5/6 finish will finish off a fantastic season, considering where we were about 15/16 weeks ago and the start we had to the season.

If we make top 6 I am certain we will take Hearts. Not so sure about Saints and I think their win last night has probably put them safe for 4th. Assuming they don't go into freefall then we would probably need 15 points out of 21 remaining to have any chance and that would be a tall order considering the teams we would have to face. That said, wins v Motherwell, Saints, Hearts and Rangers x2 is not totally inconceivable.

We need to be absolutely focused for this match. Killie's keeper had a great game last night to shut out Rangers - there's no reason to think he can't repeat that against Celtic. And if we can score against Celtic at Parkhead, maybe Kilmarnock can too - we can certainly be assured that Boyd will be going hell for leather. So a 1-0 win for them is hardly out of the question.

Give the likes of McDonald, Moult and Bowman an inch and they can capitalise.

If we go into the final game one point ahead of Killie, with us at Ibrox and them at home to free-falling Hearts..... we'll all need arse transplants.

We thoroughly deserve a top six place for our displays this season - so we should go out and take it.

A precise, high-energy performance on Saturday please Jags.

• Like 1

Huge game for us. I want us to forget all about 6th position now and focus on going higher. I'll be disappointed if we get in top six and are satisfied with that. Hearts are there for the taking and catching St Johnstone is far from impossible, especially if we can take 6 points from Motherwell and the hu.ns. No letting up Jags, we've been excellent and we should be looking to keep that level and standard up and see where it takes us.

Couldn't agree more. This is a marvelous time to be a Jags fan. I love the current team. Sign Keown! Top four!

Keeping that group of players together would be a huge investment in the future of the club.

Hope it happens, and beyond all, I want Mr Archibald to stay too. Possibly the best manager we have ever had? Just putting it out there.....

Couldn't agree more. This is a marvelous time to be a Jags fan. I love the current team. Sign Keown! Top four!

Keeping that group of players together would be a huge investment in the future of the club.

Hope it happens, and beyond all, I want Mr Archibald to stay too. Possibly the best manager we have ever had? Just putting it out there.....

Thing with Archie is that he is improving every year and taking on board the errors he made early in his managerial career and rectifying them. He has now got a team where we have players that can play in several positions and formations. One thing that has impressed me greatly about him is that if he signs a dud (and yes he has signed a few) he isn't long in shifting them on. He is pretty ruthless. The players all seem to love playing for him and Shaggy. Let's hope the love affair is gonna last a fair bit longer!

In the past few years though, we have won the games we really needed to - going back to the Morton game in the 1st and a couple of games later wrapping the league up at Falkirk. The following season, winning at Kilmarnock 1st game of the split and not losing any of the other 4. Only last season we didn't win at County. I think we have already got points in the important games - Dundee, Kilmarnock, County and Celtic. It would be nice to win on our own,though

Have to say that I have bad vibes. I can't think of how many times we've gone into a match with huge hopes and come out with nothing. I hope that I'm wrong, but my Jaggy instincts have cut in.

I know what you mean, but for me that scenario has applied especially to cup matches and, it has to be said, relegation deciders (vs. the Arabs, Ayr, and Morton... or did I make that one up?)

It is essential we do not let our Top-6 place slip for one important reason: planning for next season. In previous years, the board and Archie have publicly states their reticence to make concrete plans for the following seasons due to uncertainty about league finish, and/or if we would remain in the top flight. That has meant that other teams can have as much as five or six weeks head start on us. If on Saturday afternoon we secure our Top-6 place, the board will know for definite we will be awarded "X" number of pounds at least, and maybe even more if we pip Hearts to 5th. Also there is the possible additional income of a game (or two) at Firhill against the Ugly Sisters.

In a season where we very may well lose Lindsay, it will be paramount that both the board and Archie can start scheming away as soon as possible.

It is essential we do not let our Top-6 place slip for one important reason: planning for next season. In previous years, the board and Archie have publicly states their reticence to make concrete plans for the following seasons due to uncertainty about league finish, and/or if we would remain in the top flight. That has meant that other teams can have as much as five or six weeks head start on us. If on Saturday afternoon we secure our Top-6 place, the board will know for definite we will be awarded "X" number of pounds at least, and maybe even more if we pip Hearts to 5th. Also there is the possible additional income of a game (or two) at Firhill against the Ugly Sisters.

In a season where we very may well lose Lindsay, it will be paramount that both the board and Archie can start scheming away as soon as possible.

:happy2:

We don't need to win this game for top six, as Kilmarnock will not beat Celtic. We need to win this game to give us a good chance of finishing above Hearts.

Where can I buy me one of them crystal balls?

The way Brendan Rodgers is talking, he has no intention of fielding anything resembling a first-string team until the cup semi-final - which did us a favour on Wednesday night, and might do Killie a massive favour on Saturday......

We really need to go out and beat Motherwell.

Sure, if Celtic are three up with five minutes to go, it's time to relax; but for us to go into this game with a "don't need to win" attitude would be, quite frankly, mental.

Edited by ScottyDFA

Have to say that I have bad vibes. I can't think of how many times we've gone into a match with huge hopes and come out with nothing. I hope that I'm wrong, but my Jaggy instincts have cut in.

I think you have just hit the nail on the head there with your "Jaggy instincts" comment. Those of us that have been supporting the team for a few decades are conditioned to expect things to go "tits up" because that is what always happens to Thistle. Things have improved on that front but even last year we were one solitary, poxy, goal away from being in the top six :no: .

However I'm going to go out on a limb here and say NOT THIS TIME, THIS IS OUR YEAR :thumbsup2:

Edited by Camallain
  • Like 2

Surprised to read a Thistle fan regurgitate this type of tabloid garbage.

I don't even begin to get this comment. I assume you're trying to be provocative, or trying to assert that you're a better kind of Jags fan than I am.......

Whatever, pal. I haven't even taken a sideways glance at a tabloid newspaper for decades.

P.S.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39426751

Have a scroll down to the managers' post-match interviews. I'm trying to help you here......

Edited by ScottyDFA