Motherwell 08/04/2017

Lindau

Our first half dominance deserved more goals and I believe that if we had scored a second before half time we would have taken four or five off them. Had Doolan got his 2nd after that passing move, he would have had goal of the season in the bag. Motherwell couldn't live with us.

We couldn't hold on to the ball in the second half and the midfield tired but what a performance defensively - absolutely outstanding. I felt Cerny's save deserved its own thread, breathtaking.

The team and defence in particular have been brilliant since Christmas. The team is so tight and play for each other. They should be proud of their efforts.

I thought one of the 3 centre backs were mom. Attackers looked great for 35 minutes then thought all the good work was done. But we really were top class for that time.

I was disappointed with the 2 wing backs today, especially Muzzy who perhaps needs a break and pre season to recover fully. He doesn't seem to have the drive and confidence back. I thought Booth should have come on after 50 minutes.

As for Beaton and McDonald, are they related in any way?. McDonald is a fine player but an absolute disgrace on the football pitch, an excuse for a sportsman. He was taking the piss out of Beaton all day. I appreciate this is a strong statement but Beaton is the worst ref in Scotland. Worse even than Thomson.

The midweek outing to the East End probably took a lot out of them, so that they tired in the second half. The substitutes were just right, though, even if Ade seemed off the pace too (understandably).

I felt Motherwell were much more physical in the second half and with a ref who let them get away with just about anything they were able to knock us out of our stride. But these days the team has a great character about them and though they bossed us out of our passing game (basically brought us down to their level) we defended staunchly and never lost the plot.

Just one thing for next season though: get more goals in the team and we won't have these nervous second halfs. And maybe make the top six much more comfortably.

Edited by Mr Bunny

If Beaton is reckoned a top league referee what must the standard be like in Div 2? I've mentioned it for a few seasons now but because he can't keep up with play Beaton will blow his whistle simply to give himself some catch up time. Conversely when he finds himself up with play to compensate he'll let the most obvious infringements ride. The standard of refereeing in Scotland is currently atrocious but even at that I'm lost for words to describe this guy.

• Like 1

Alan Rough made a save against Clydebank once that probably remains the best I've ever seen from a jags keeper; distinctly remember the guy that took the shot being mobbed by his teammates and then making their way back to their own half, only to have to return in confusion to take a corner. We also won that match 1-0. Today Thomas Cerny came as close as you possibly could to matching that; absolutely stunning save.

The first half today was one of the best I've seen from a jags team; some delightful football and really should have been 3 or 4 up on a very poor Motherwell side. Not sure what happened 2nd half, probably nerves, but we really stopped playing and allowed Motherwell to take over. Thankfully their lack of quality and our defence allowed them very few opportunities; excepting Cerny's wonder save.

Overall absolutely chuffed at what this side has achieved; particularly when you consider we were propping up the division in December. Massive congratulations to everyone at the club.

• Like 1

Huge game for both clubs. Really thought they would beat Hamilton last night but they are right in the relegation mix and we don't need to discuss what happens if we win or Killie get beat. Pretty sure they will bring a good crowd and hopefully after last night and what is at stake, we will have a bigger crowd than usual. 1-0 Jags

Just another nod to myself for yet another correct score on the match threads. Those kind guys at Billy Hills gave me a nice 6/1. Add to that the winner, 3rd and 4th from 3 ew picks in the GGs thread for today's National and a Top 6 place means it's been a wonderful day!

Margins are very slim...how many times since we returned to the Top League have we totally outplayed the opposition in the first half but then been bullied into dropping a point or even three...it didn't happen today.

We played some impressive football early on with Erskine & Lawless outstanding but then dug in for the high ball barrage in the second half from a physically robust but not very skilled Motherwell Side. The back three coped very well - Keown is not that tall but the timing of his jumps & his determination to win headers is quite remarkable. Even from a distance away at the City End of the JHS, Cerny's save looked phenomenal.

From what I have seen of the other sides, I wouldn't think Motherwell will go down...they always bring a decent support to Firhill but I haven't forgotten their disgraceful conduct in the stadium criteria vote fiasco and Scott MacDonald is the most despicable diving, moaning runt since Nacho Novo so it will be hard not to snigger if they do get relegated.

We were without four very good midfielders today and I suspect Dumbuya and Erskine are playing through niggling injuries...the players & management deserve all the plaudits they are getting...I'm getting used to leaving Firhill with a big smile.

Was in hospitality today thanks to BB sponsorship. Brilliant day out and met the legend that is Kris Doolan before the game. Keown was outstanding, won every header, how can he jump so high? Can't wait to see Tam's save again as it was outstanding. Dools is a legend but Squddy's pass laid it on a plate for him. fantastic team and team spirit, roll on the last 6 games

Was in hospitality today thanks to BB sponsorship. Brilliant day out and met the legend that is Kris Doolan before the game. Keown was outstanding, won every header, how can he jump so high? Can't wait to see Tam's save again as it was outstanding. Dools is a legend but Squddy's pass laid it on a plate for him. fantastic team and team spirit, roll on the last 6 games

Jaggy, I think you owe me a pint. Time for you to pay your debts.

I don't think it should be missed that we are currently managing without Osman, Bannigan, Welsh and Fraser. There will always be injuries but to cope with the loss of four players in similar positions is a tribute to our squad and its flexibility.

Alan Rough made a save against Clydebank once that probably remains the best I've ever seen from a jags keeper; distinctly remember the guy that took the shot being mobbed by his teammates and then making their way back to their own half, only to have to return in confusion to take a corner. We also won that match 1-0. Today Thomas Cerny came as close as you possibly could to matching that; absolutely stunning save. The first half today was one of the best I've seen from a jags team; some delightful football and really should have been 3 or 4 up on a very poor Motherwell side. Not sure what happened 2nd half, probably nerves, but we really stopped playing and allowed Motherwell to take over. Thankfully their lack of quality and our defence allowed them very few opportunities; excepting Cerny's wonder save. Overall absolutely chuffed at what this side has achieved; particularly when you consider we were propping up the division in December. Massive congratulations to everyone at the club.

I recall a save Rough made - on a wet and slippy day (which I think made it possible). Forward coming in near side fires in a shot at the near post and Rough dives low and pushes it wide ...same forward's momentum takes him to the ball but too narrow an angle to shoot again so with Roughie still on the ground he lifts the ball to the far post where his team mate heads it down inside the far post - goal! --- except Rough somehow miraculously gets from the ground at the near post to the far post, sliding on the wet surface and fingertips it away. Unbelievable. Best save I've ever seen.

Devine, Lindsay & Keown are a good tight unit all working well for each other, but Cerny with one brilliant penalty save and a world class Gordon Banks save. that has made a big difference in our defence. Barton strolled through the game, infact the whole team looked up for it, in the first half, the second half not so good. Dools was given man of the match, and for sure, he ran his heart out and got the goal. For me the man of the match was Keown, totally bossed the defence, and class headers. The sting in the tail, is our Chris Erskine, yep, is was a good cut back for Dools to score, but look who Archie's replacing you with.................................

Like jaggy, totally choked at the end of today's game. However what a ******* feeling! Forty odd years of following Thistle and days like today stay with us forever. Ryan chasing that ball towards the end, Tam's save, Liam's sliding tackle, Erskine's flick/dummy....I ******* love Partick Thistle........he wears number 10, he scores now and then Christopher Erskine........

• Like 1

Fantastic result all round. Not the biggest crowd, but it was noisy and colourful...even if some of that noise was being generated in the North Stand by a small group of morons who decided to stand on top of the seats for the full game and kick, stamp, and bang on them as hard as they could. Fortunately whoever designed and manufactured our seats had robustness in mind.

But other than that it was a very good first half performance, and will be one of those achievements that will live long in the memory. To finish Top-6 is incredible...to catch Hearts would be a dream.

https://www.facebook...56164018773782/

Hope this link works pinched from the FB supporters page. ,

Look at the players at the final whistle.Absolutley exausted and out on their feet.Wee Muzzy colapses onto his knees and the others cant stand up straight.

What a great bunch of guys. . As good a bond between supporters and players as I can remember A real Band of Brothers.

Edited by angry gaz