Swindon Want Archie

Lindau

Swindon were in the Premier League a few years ago so he might think they have potential.

Something even the biggest Shrewsbury fan

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=spinal+tap+shrewsbury+strip&client=firefox-b-ab&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwic7ti02OzTAhUkAcAKHVh2C8AQ_AUICigB&biw=1280&bih=691#imgrc=EArJW7oERoEk1M:

could claim

Swindon, by any stretch of the imagination, were not in the premier league "a few years ago".

They had one solitary season there in 93/94, 23 years ago, and conceded a record number of goals, which is yet to be beaten.

They've never been back since and are now further away from it than ever.

• 3 weeks later...

Think Tommy Wright is more likely or some Scottish manager who has managed in England and doesn't get a new job down there. It's also quite possible McInnes won't go as he still has a period of his contract to run out (I think it's to 2019) so anyone coming in for him will have to give Aberdeen a fairly big payment. That could tell against him moving on.

Think Tommy Wright is more likely or some Scottish manager who has managed in England and doesn't get a new job down there. It's also quite possible McInnes won't go as he still has a period of his contract to run out (I think it's to 2019) so anyone coming in for him will have to give Aberdeen a fairly big payment. That could tell against him moving on.

Yep Sunderland who got £100m from sky this season would struggle to pay Derek McInnes's wages for two years.....

Yep Sunderland who got £100m from sky this season would struggle to pay Derek McInnes's wages for two years.....

I'm sure most Championship clubs could pay that and easily better but if there are other managers being considered the fact they also have to buy his contract out might sway them to sign someone else. As always with these things we can't know what's really going on until a deal is done.

I don't see Archie going just yet - I think you'd agree that Aberdeen are less likely to buy his contract out. If they get good money for McInnes and say Hayes, they'll need to use most of it to rebuild their side what with losing several of their best players. Also, I think Archie is the kind of guy who could build a side up over 2 or 3 seasons rather than be a "quick fix" guy. If McInnes left but the players that have gone were still there I could see Archie taking over and having an instant impact but he would need at least a couple of seasons to rebuild. That's why I suggested Wright who I think could have more of an instant impact.

Of course that's my own calculation: it's possible the Aberdeen board think he may be able to have an instant impact and will go for him but my feeling is he won't be the main target though may become so if their first choice/s don't pan out.

I'm sure most Championship clubs could pay that and easily better but if there are other managers being considered the fact they also have to buy his contract out might sway them to sign someone else. As always with these things we can't know what's really going on until a deal is done.

I don't see Archie going just yet - I think you'd agree that Aberdeen are less likely to buy his contract out. If they get good money for McInnes and say Hayes, they'll need to use most of it to rebuild their side what with losing several of their best players. Also, I think Archie is the kind of guy who could build a side up over 2 or 3 seasons rather than be a "quick fix" guy. If McInnes left but the players that have gone were still there I could see Archie taking over and having an instant impact but he would need at least a couple of seasons to rebuild. That's why I suggested Wright who I think could have more of an instant impact.

Of course that's my own calculation: it's possible the Aberdeen board think he may be able to have an instant impact and will go for him but my feeling is he won't be the main target though may become so if their first choice/s don't pan out.

I think it unlikely that Archie would be a target for Aberdeen. It would seem to me that the more conceivable scenario, which of course I hope does not happen is that Aberdeen would go for Tommy Wright, and that St Johnstone would then be interested in Archie, as someone who is in a similar mould to Wright, not flamboyant but a consistent team-builder over seasons.

While I think Archie would go to Aberdeen I'm not convinced he would go to at johnstone- our budget was the 11th in the league there's was 10th so there's not loads more money available there nor do they have much higher crowds

I'm sure, TL, you don't believe that tosh. I doubt the financial director in any club will know the player budgets of any club bar their own. How the hell would some ill informed newspaper journo get hold of information no club director would ever divulge.

• Like 1

Met the Swindon FC club coach driver on holiday says no-one in their right mind would go to Swindon. The owner of the club is banned from the team bus because of his attitude to the players and staff. He charges the club for use of the stadium and training grounds, which he owns, and is systematically bleeding the club dry. He also only allowed a previous manager ( Cooper) from having contact with the players until the Friday before a Saturday game. I don't know what Archie gets paid but the Swindon job does pay £1500.00 per week which does seem a good salary for their league, however the driver said he did not think they would see next season out.

No idea what Archie earns either but if if's a long way off the figure you quote for Swindon, there will be a tempting offer in soon enough.

I've been under the impression that unless a club's got a stellar signing the manager will earn more than any individual player. As a rule of thumb double the average player wage. If indeed that's the industry norm it wouldn't take a club that much bigger than PTFC to attract Archie on a renumeration basis. On the other hand these jobs often don't last over three months and manager contracts are rarely honoured anywhere like in full. Security, quality of life, schooling etc will come into the equation.

I'd be surprised if Archie doesn't move on but I wouldn't say it's anywhere near a certainty.