St Johnstone League Cup

lithgaejag

Have to think without Doolan (or a new signing) Elliot in with a shout up front. Be good to have Spittal back as well.

Ever the optimist, so hopeful we can sneak it by the odd goal, but we need to cut out the daft mistakes.

Cerny

Keown Barton Turnbull

Osman

Milan Bannigan Booth

Spittal Lawless

Elliot

But as ever, who knows??!?!?! This is assuming Dools is still injured & we don't sign Luis Suarez today.

If Turbull & Milan are decent, this is a good team, but needs a focal point for the attack. Think Erskine could do with a slight break (crazy, I know) and Edwards' energy good for later in the game, assuming we're still 'in' it.

I would drop Barton to the bench and put Devine in. He hasn't shown anything in pre season or on Saturday. If Spittal is still injured then Edwards in. Apart from that team looks good

Archie will have one eye on Friday night. Not going to get drawn into arguing which fixture is the more important. Elliott and Edwards are possibly the only two outfield players that'll sail thru playing 180 mins (210mins?) in terms of sheer fitness.

Archie will have one eye on Friday night. Not going to get drawn into arguing which fixture is the more important. Elliott and Edwards are possibly the only two outfield players that'll sail thru playing 180 mins (210mins?) in terms of sheer fitness.

Tomorrow more 'winnable' with more of an incentive (financially at least) to win.

Friday, it'd be a lovely bonus to get something from the game, but unlikely.

HOWEVER, professional players should be able to play both games no problem, so strongest possible team for both please, especially this early in the season as a few certainly need minutes to be 'match fit'...

• Like 3

Can't see us progressing without Doolan, which is crazy. One player out should never make such a massive difference. Best bet is probably trying to shitfest our way to a 0-0 with five at the back and a narrow midfield four...

Cerny

Nitriansky - Keown - Barton - Devine - Elliott

Lawless - Osman - Edwards - Bannigan

Erskine

• Like 1

What IS a nonsense is that the transfer window is still open when the season has started. We'll see a lot of activity when clubs & players start to panic, but doesn't do anyone any good as the season has already begun!

Anyway, striker today or tomorrow please!

It is an international window, so unless all countries start their leagues on the same day then there will be leagues up and running before the window closes.

if there is no movement on

the transfer front i would play elliot up top

with spittal (if fit) erskine and lawless playing behind him

midfield edwards barton bannigan

back line milan keown turnbull

cerny

had a look at the first team squad on the official site

3 goalkeepers

8 defenders

8 midfielders

2 strikers chris and kevin

Can't see us progressing without Doolan, which is crazy. One player out should never make such a massive difference. Best bet is probably trying to shitfest our way to a 0-0 with five at the back and a narrow midfield four...

Cerny

Nitriansky - Keown - Barton - Devine - Elliott

Lawless - Osman - Edwards - Bannigan

Erskine

I doubt Archie would play such a negative selection and formation. Even so I take your shitfest point all the same. Trouble is it's St Johnstone we're playing and trying to beat them at their own game would be, to quote the vernacular, a big ask.

**** it, just put Edwards up front. He won't be very good there but at least he'll close down the defence and make a nuisance of himself.

Not the worst shout, this. Simon Murray gave us all sorts of problems on Saturday running around like a headless chicken all day, and Edwards could have a similar effect.

Obviously he's not a natural striker, and Christie might be the preferred choice out of the non-strikers, seeing as he's played there before, but I don't think it's a totally mad suggestion. This is all assuming we're just thinking Nisbet is a write-off here - which, against a stingy team like St Johnstone, he basically is.

Cerny

Keown Barton Turnbull

Nitriansky Osman Edwards Booth

Lawless

Erskine Elliott

I would go with the above. Don't think you can take any risks with Doolan and that would include Friday's match also.

Osman took a few sore ones on Saturday but he needs games to get his fitness up. Think Archie may bench Banzo as he will not want to push him too hard so soon.