Time To Take Stock....

javeajag

This has got to be one of the stupidest comments on this thread. Everybody in this league apart from Celtic are also rans. They will win it at a canter.

You have obviously not read any of his other comments they are right up there too, to be fair he excels in them, I couldn't pick a favourite.

Archie's tactics against Aberdeen were spot on. We are in the unfortunate position to have long term injuries in our defensive set up. There are however some positives to take from that game. We have, at last, someone who can take a dangerous corner / free kick, we have a newish centre back who has scored a goal. ( One of the things we lacked after the departure of Liam Lindsay).

I am as disappointed as anyone else about the way the results have gone. But, this season, we have competed against the best the league has to throw at us. Given the abject surrender to Celtic and Aberdeen at the end of last season, there has been improvement. Maybe not quite as much improvement as we, fans, would have wanted, but improvement none the less.

Anyone agree with me that we should use much the same tactics against Ross County?

• Like 1

We certainly haven't started any game this season as favourite. In that regard, I don't think we've had any disasters. You look at the sides we've played, no one has taken any points from Aberdeen, Celtic or St Johnstone (except each other), and we've given them all a decent game. Having said that, a four game losing run has to be disappointing in any circumstances.

Personally I think it will be very tough to finish top six again, but I think as long as everyone stays positive we have a chance, and should be able to have another good season. Injuries worry me a bit, but I still think this is the strongest squad we have had (in 30+ years).

Panic and loss of confidence is the greatest risk at the moment.

Kinda agree to a degree. I considered the previous 0-6 as absolutely pathetic so I can only describe a 3-4 defeat as not quite so absolutely pathetic. :)

The end of season games vs Celtic and Aberdeen saw pathetic performances. Saturday was different for me that we were competitive but couldn't garner even one measly point. The performance wasn't pathetic in its self. Hard one to pin down, such as scoring from all three of our attempts on target is fantastic in terms of conversion but on the other hand why didn't we have more attempts on goal? Aberdeen's defence was their weak link. Unfortunately our was weaker on the day.

To trot out a well worn cliche, we will probably play worse at times this season and actually win games!

We have...which we didn't have last season.....Storey/ Sammon/Turnbull/ Spittal plus Bannigan getting back to form, Keown now a permanent Jags player. Add to that the fact that we have, IMHO, the best keeper in the league, Christie getting better every game, young lads coming through from the development team, future first team players either out on loan or waiting their turn on the bench. AND we have Squiddy and Doolz. What's the worry?

Edited by westertonjagfan

Archie's tactics against Aberdeen were spot on. We are in the unfortunate position to have long term injuries in our defensive set up. There are however some positives to take from that game. We have, at last, someone who can take a dangerous corner / free kick, we have a newish centre back who has scored a goal. ( One of the things we lacked after the departure of Liam Lindsay).

I am as disappointed as anyone else about the way the results have gone. But, this season, we have competed against the best the league has to throw at us. Given the abject surrender to Celtic and Aberdeen at the end of last season, there has been improvement. Maybe not quite as much improvement as we, fans, would have wanted, but improvement none the less.

Anyone agree with me that we should use much the same tactics against Ross County?

Bang on, sir.

We have...which we didn't have last season.....Storey/ Sammon/Turnbull/ Spittal plus Bannigan getting back to form, Keown now a permanent Jags player. Add to that the fact that we have, IMHO, the best keeper in the league, Christie getting better every game, young lads coming through from the development team, future first team players either out on loan or waiting their turn on the bench. AND we have Squiddy and Doolz. What's the worry?

The worry is that we are losing every game we play..... "matching" teams, "giving a good account" and "running them close" will see us relegated if those cliches don't turn into victories, and soon.

That's the worry, but the reality is the rest of what you say. So, I can't pretend not to be worried (though not yet in a panic), but feel that this squad is indeed strong and we'll start seeing better performances and some wins soon.

What does worry me, or annoy me at least, isn't so much not getting off the mark but the points lead St Johnstone already have on us. I won't be alone in believing if we've to improve on or even emulate last season, then St Johnstone should very much be in our sights. They're the club we probably need to be challenging for a place. We know from recent head to heads we can get the better of them but we're already 10 points and 10 goals adrift.

• Like 1

What does worry me, or annoy me at least, isn't so much not getting off the mark but the points lead St Johnstone already have on us. I won't be alone in believing if we've to improve on or even emulate last season, then St Johnstone should very much be in our sights. They're the club we probably need to be challenging for a place. We know from recent head to heads we can get the better of them but we're already 10 points and 10 goals adrift.

I think this depends on what the target is. If your target is Europe, then you are right. However, if it is a top 6 spot, then it is probably the gap between us and Hearts/Hibs.

However, in comparison to last season we are only 3 or 4 points off the pace.(depending on whether we are comparing to 1st 4 matches or corresponding fixtures)

That difference between the two teams does suggest little or no progress, unfortunately. Let's hope that what most people agree is our strongest squad in years will soon start to show what we hope they are capable of, and consistently.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Just a thought that might put the start to the season in a better light (clutching). Of st johnstone, aberdeen and celtic we have met three teams who have played more competative games than any other team in the league because they have been playing in europe, so it stands to reason they should be ahead of us in terms of game time and gelling together which is very important early in the season. Knightswoodjag and jagfox are spot on, the wins will come and when the defence are all fit we will give a few teams a right spanking.......

Although we were gutted leaving firhill on saturday i'm first in the queue to admit that was one of the most exciting games since the promotion season and though i wouldn't want to be losing every week i'd take more of the same

It's a fair point well made barney, as i said at the start of the post it was just a thought. We made a lot of changes throughout the league cup group stage, st j have had a more stettled starting eleven than us as have aberdeen. Am i just clutching at straws? We'll come good, i'm sure.

hopefulky we will use the same tactics against Ross county.

What I remember worryingly from last season was how bad we came back from the international breaks - remember one break we came back and played st Johnstone and were so unfit and slow it looked like the players had been at McDonald's for 2 weeks, then about a month later there was another international break and we played Motherwell I think and yet again awful just so unfit.

Our next game against Ross County is so far our most winnable hopefully we will not be repeating the poor performance of last seasons returns from international breaks

hopefulky we will use the same tactics against Ross county.

What I remember worryingly from last season was how bad we came back from the international breaks - remember one break we came back and played st Johnstone and were so unfit and slow it looked like the players had been at McDonald's for 2 weeks, then about a month later there was another international break and we played Motherwell I think and yet again awful just so unfit.

Our next game against Ross County is so far our most winnable hopefully we will not be repeating the poor performance of last seasons returns from international breaks

Not sure if it was an international break but we beat County in April after a fortnight break followed by getting a decent enough point at Tynecastle a few weeks later after another gap. The latter was for sorting the split out but a break all the same. Hopefully your point, which i reckon had validity, is a thing of the past given these two more recent examples.