Next 8 Games

Auld Jag

For sure the injuries have not helped, but the fundamentals are that Osman and Booth in particular are now being appreciated for what they bring to the team now they are missing.

Archie's had plenty of time to address this, so far it hasn't happened in terms of results, which is the ultimate criterion.

How long does he deserve though? I ask that question as someone who wants him to stay forever given what he has achieved for this club.

Your last sentence will no doubt be echoed by the majority of jags fans. If we are still languishing at the bottom after the first round of fixtures, the board have got a big decision to make. Will they allow sentiment to cloud their judgement and give him some leeway or cut him loose.?

If there is any truth in Maxwell's recent paper comment,how will he vote? Kilmarnock game has become very crucial.

Edited by mulguy jag

Not even considering sacking Archie, we shouldn't be & I'm sure we're not.

It's not even a case of turning it round, we've played decent enough so far this season, we've simply faced difficult fixtures where we shouldn't really be taking points from (RC, St J & today were the 'easiest' of those games, all away from home). I would have said 3pts from that opening run of fixtures would have been what we would have expected to get, that's what we have. Next 4 fixtures will determine how our season progresses.

• Like 1

Killie and Accies game are crucial, Killie were booed off today, Accies are crap, I think no one is in any doubt that on paper we have the best squad we've had in decades, so what's causing the problem?

Yes we have way too many injuries and our match fitness / stamina is poor, main question needs to be looking at this, if we can't last 90 minutes we'll never compete, our squads had 8 league games plus cup games to get match fit, yet still struggle, we have a huge % of the squad either out injured or have been injured already this season, our training methods /sports science urgently needs looked at.

For the 1st time in years we have a few "big names" in the squad for us, Spitral, Sammon, and Storey is the balance of the dressing room messed up, as instead of bringing players through we're buying proven players?

Archie has proven he can manage and can turn things around but every year we struggle 1st half of the season, there has to be a reason for that

• Like 2

It's not even a case of turning it round, we've played decent enough so far this season, we've simply faced difficult fixtures where we shouldn't really be taking points

Hmmm, not sure about that.The Motherwell game was a different level of defeat. I have very rarely criticised Archie on this forum but today was quite simply unprofessional from the manager in terms of tactics , team selection , motivation, substitutions and preparation. The comparison in Motherwell's set pieces next to ours was stark.How many times did we give the ball directly back to them? That's not caused by a run of tough fixtures that is just being underprepared.The team didnt know their roles or what they were doing..

• Like 1

I'd like to see us go back to the 4-2-3-1 from last season.

At the moment our 3-5-2 is more often than not leading to a flat back 5 with us struggling to get out of own half.

Give Lawless, Erskine & Spittal a shot supplying the striker.

Agree about the 4-2-3-1 but the "2",presumably at the moment Barton and Bannigan, is a bit delicate. Wouldn't be surprised if Archie throws Devine forward into the "Osman" role to play beside either Barton or Bannigan.

Agree about the 4-2-3-1 but the "2",presumably at the moment Barton and Bannigan, is a bit delicate. Wouldn't be surprised if Archie throws Devine forward into the "Osman" role to play beside either Barton or Bannigan.

Bannigan was missing from the subs bench yesterday. Your suggestion to switch Devine into midfield could accommodate Barton in the back 3, yet provide more stability in the middle of the park and greater creativity from the back. Barton was getting a hard time from fans yesterday for not doing things he was not signed for, win a midfield battle.

The injuries to our wing backs is certainly impacting on how we play.

Bannigan was missing from the subs bench yesterday. Your suggestion to switch Devine into midfield could accommodate Barton in the back 3, yet provide more stability in the middle of the park and greater creativity from the back. Barton was getting a hard time from fans yesterday for not doing things he was not signed for, win a midfield battle.

The injuries to our wing backs is certainly impacting on how we play.

Think it fairly obvious Barton is a build from the back type player. Personally I prefer him in midfield but whether he plays there or in the centre of a back three is not the issue. He's not a ball winning hard tackling central mid something neither Archie nor the lad himself has ever claimed to be.

As for Barton getting it hard from fans, well that's just fans looking for someone to blame. He's made his share of errors for sure but at least he's trying to play football as was evident yesterday and more so against Hearts. I tend to be more scathing of our lack of movement in front of him. Motherwell, who maybe aren't blessed with the most skillful of players, were very impressive in terms of speed of movement. Barton has made too many errors granted but much of that can be put down to nobody being in a clear position to receive a pass from him. Bit like Sean Welsh when he got stick. Won't pass the ball simply to get rid of it.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another defeat and even worse the performance was embarrassing which is what our current situation is.Only ourselves and Brechin have not won a league game this season.Can only hope we can do what Palace did yesterday and get an unexpected performance and result against Dundee next week.

A sport I'm rather unfamiliar with. I take it any American football equipment you get from a wide receiver is likely to be dodgy gear?

My dear Lady B.

I think that you might get a lot of pleasure from an Offensive Tackle, particularly if you have a Tight End yourself. As for the Wide Receiver, he would clearly need a Punter for his wares.

Kindest regards ..... DD