Sevco At Firhill 15/9/17

Auld Jag

Not long back from the game and just came on here to find out how we played. :)

Thought the three at the back worked well together and took some pressure off midfield, which with Abdul unavailable was particularly welcome. Storey put in some shift. Reckon the sending off delayed his substitution and Doolan would maybe have been given 20 mins. Immediately before the sending off we looked just as likely to get a third as they would equalise. Ifs and buts once again

• Like 1

Thought Devine had a good game.Imo a draw was fair,cant remember Scully having to pull of any great saves.Thought wc was going to give them a penalty for that scramble in the box at the very last minute.Anybody know how many Thistle fans tonight? From my position in the North stand couldnt really hear there songs,thankfully.

Collum had the chance to book the no 20 on several occasions, for diving, fouls, sly kicks etc. He should have been off by ht. Suppose the red card was correct but the no 20 should have a good look at himself. What a pathetic twat. He should be embarrassed but of course won't give a stuff. Sevco really are a rag tag of foreign mercenaries.

Bookings should be rescindable. The clowns like Collum wouldn't book so many of our players for virtually nothing.

I thought Edwards was mom by miles. But Keown not far behind.

I dont know what people seen in Edwards or Barton last night.

Barton was about 10 yards off the pace, lost the ball so many times the first half I lost count and then only improved when taking 2 touches at most second half.

Edwards ran his heart out but to do what exactly? He was a headless chicken, posted missing everytime Rangers had the ball. He had a habit of running near the Rangers players without making tackles.

The standouts last night for me were Miles Storey & Turnbull. I'd also say Devine, Keown and Spittal all played well in 2nd half.

I still disagree with Archies decision to remove Storey and Spittal effectively taking any chance of a counter attack away. Yes we won the point, yes im delighted we took a point, but really we put ourselves under so much sustained pressure with no outball. You need an outball if you are playing with 10 men. Big Sammon done well with exactly what he was supposed to do, but with no pace or even players around him he couldnt do much. One big chance stands out when Sammon was one on one with the defender as Rangers were sitting so high up the park, if that had been Storey we would have been walking away with a win.

I know others will disagree and thats the point in a forum, but I would love us to take the game to them on Tuesday, who knows they might rest some players for the Ugly sisters game to follow.

Edited by stuart_adam

I dont know what people seen in Edwards or Barton last night.

Barton was about 10 yards off the pace, lost the ball so many times the first half I lost count and then only improved when taking 2 touches at most second half.

Edwards ran his heart out but to do what exactly? He was a headless chicken, posted missing everytime Rangers had the ball. He had a habit of running near the Rangers players without making tackles.

The standouts last night for me were Miles Storey & Turnbull. I'd also say Devine, Keown and Spittal all played well in 2nd half.

I still disagree with Archies decision to remove Storey and Spittal effectively taking any chance of a counter attack away. Yes we won the point, yes im delighted we took a point, but really we put ourselves under so much sustained pressure with no outball. You need an outball if you are playing with 10 men. Big Sammon done well with exactly what he was supposed to do, but with no pace or even players around him he couldnt do much. One big chance stands out when Sammon was one on one with the defender as Rangers were sitting so high up the park, if that had been Storey we would have been walking away with a win.

I know others will disagree and thats the point in a forum, but I would love us to take the game to them on Tuesday, who knows they might rest some players for the Ugly sisters game to follow.

I've considerable sympathy for your opinion, but to be honest watching it on TV it was fairly obvious that the most important thing was to shore up the defensive side of things, otherwise the game was a bogey? And Archie's validation comes in the shape of that precious point.

I thought Barton and Edwards probably had their best games of the season, to date. I don't think we had any real below par performances last night. Erskine was not getting much going for him, grabbed his goal then sent off. So he'd be my choice of Saturday morning scapegoat looking objectively at things. Apart from Dorran's touch of class we did okay with the ten men. By that time Hedgerow had used all his subs so the opposition didn't gain the advantage I thought they would've with the extra player.

A few players started off slow but they stepped up to the mark. Spittal being one example.

I would've been happy with a draw before kickoff but feels like an opportunity missed to a degree but I'm taking more positives than negatives out of our showing.

Everyone moaning about Barton's first half performance compared to second half.

Can I ask... how much movement was there, in front of him in the first, compared to the second?

I'd say it was night & day.

In the first our players thought they could sit back... very little movement.

2nd half was a different story. There was movement all over the park, players stopped hiding and made themselves available.

It's easy to criticise Barton, but you need to look at what he has around him.

I thought that, without Edwards we would have lost that game. He did run his heart out but the amount of closing down he did compensated for some of his colleagues profligacy and laziness. Different players have different talents and Edwards is vital to us against the more talented teams.

Barton is one who excels against the poorer teams. I suspect he had a kicking at ht because, as mentioned above, he took fewer touches 2nd half and won some good headers. 1st half he was a nightmare. Could be a matter of confidence and belief but he can be a liability against teams that close him down quicker. Something for the coaches to work on.

That was an excellent football match, as was the Aberdeen game. Where I agree with Stuart Adam is that we should attack them again on Tuesday as we had them by the short and curlies till Chris was sent off. I assume he is unavailable and if so, I hope Lawless gets a chance. Same team apart from this but possibly Banzo for Barton?

• Like 1

Everyone moaning about Barton's first half performance compared to second half.

Can I ask... how much movement was there, in front of him in the first, compared to the second?

I'd say it was night & day.

In the first our players thought they could sit back... very little movement.

2nd half was a different story. There was movement all over the park, players stopped hiding and made themselves available.

It's easy to criticise Barton, but you need to look at what he has around him.

I know that, given it's in the match thread, it would be fair to assume I was criticising Barton's performance last night. And to be honest I thought it was him and not Spittal who'd lost the ball in the lead up to the goal, which probably prompted my point.

But in a wider sense, I'm wondering what the view is on Adam Barton. Is he a class player or is he a bomb-scare? Or a bit of both? As I said, I missed what all the fuss was about him last season. I couldn't see him as a player of the year contender. But do others disagree?

Bit of both allyo, dwells to long sometimes but i read on a forum when he arrived, by a fan of his last team that we shouldn't be fooled by what appears to be a lazy style. He is one of our best ball players, very assured and skilled but, because of the frenzied way some games go up here he needs to learn he needs to act quicker and not get caught on the ball so much.

Great player though and as both halves showed last night he takes the managers instructions on board and doesn't try and hide.

I agree with stuart adams assessment of the game, though just one point if i may. Don't underestimate the value of a player like ryan edwards. His closing down stops the other teams players settling and prevents the through balls. This act is as important as the ball winners and play makers, edwards was top man last night and his, what might look to some as pointless running about like a headless chicken and never making a block or a tackle, was crucial to us getting a result.

Onwards and upwards jags!!

"Erskine was not getting much going for him, grabbed his goal then sent off."

I'd agree with the first part of that. Erskine was as guilty as anyone else of passing a ball that didn't work. His goal was good and all, but I am pretty sure he didn't feel his overall performance was that great. The 'lunge', if that is what we are going to call it, was perhaps almost as much about over-extending, Just because you want to win a tackle. perhaps, Health and Safety went out of the window?

Frankly, Rangers were not in a brilliant position whether he had stood up, tackled or just fallen on his arse.. It is that misjudgement, or the need for it, that tells you a couple of things about Erskine. He is 'up for the team', his commitment needs to be better placed on the park. Oh! And he doesn't apparently fear Rangers or their referees.

The Bridge is strong.

There are several other players who may have been able to adjust to just losing, almost always, second balls, I don't think Erskine likes it much. And neither do I.

That 51 for the club?

Great player.

I thought that, without Edwards we would have lost that game. He did run his heart out but the amount of closing down he did compensated for some of his colleagues profligacy and laziness. Different players have different talents and Edwards is vital to us against the more talented teams. Barton is one who excels against the poorer teams. I suspect he had a kicking at ht because, as mentioned above, he took fewer touches 2nd half and won some good headers. 1st half he was a nightmare. Could be a matter of confidence and belief but he can be a liability against teams that close him down quicker. Something for the coaches to work on. That was an excellent football match, as was the Aberdeen game. Where I agree with Stuart Adam is that we should attack them again on Tuesday as we had them by the short and curlies till Chris was sent off. I assume he is unavailable and if so, I hope Lawless gets a chance. Same team apart from this but possibly Banzo for Barton?

I agree ré Ryan Edwards. There are times when he runs around as if energy is not conserved. It is frankly superhuman. The guy has astonishing energy. Perhaps converting some of that into shots on target would get him a place in the Australian team? I seem to recall him letting off a missile not that long ago? I think there is a truly great footballer just waiting to come out of his shell. He is, I think, better than he thinks he is. Archie and Shaggy ought to nurture a player, who I do not think, has reached anything like his peak.

I agree ré Ryan Edwards. There are times when he runs around as if energy is not conserved. It is frankly superhuman. The guy has astonishing energy. Perhaps converting some of that into shots on target would get him a place in the Australian team? I seem to recall him letting off a missile not that long ago? I think there is a truly great footballer just waiting to come out of his shell. He is, I think, better than he thinks he is. Archie and Shaggy ought to nurture a player, who I do not think, has reached anything like his peak.

Nailed it douglas