The Match Day Experience

MMCF

There was a time when The Match Day Experience at (TEC) Firhill was an important idea. But it seems that is an idea which has had it's day. There are many folk out there who feel as I do, like strangers in our own country.

Last night, once again shunted into the corner that is the North Stand, we were treated to three goals at a distance usually equated with a visit to The Big Blue Tractor Shed at Rugby Park. This was after we were subjected to the undiluted sectarian bile that comes with those who regards themselves as The People. This was something that happened both within and beyond the ground. And it was this sort of bile which I am led to believe that was clearly heard on the BT broadcast. The response this anti-social behaviour. Absolutely nil apparently.

Indeed we were treated to the site of five stewards positioned along the front of the North Stand at halftime. At the same time, there was the sum total of zero stewards positioned along the front of the Jackie Husband Stand. A situation which was the case for much of the game and resulted in said stewards having to too late run for position following the equaliser bt The Forces of Darkness.

What's the message that you might take from this?

Is it that we Thistle fans represent a serious threat to the Public Order? Or is it that the Followers of the Forces of Darkness are above such petty concerns?

Let me quote you two more things from the Match Day Experience of last evening.

At almost every other game where I have been in either the Woodside Inn (There are other drinking hostelries) or in the Bar at the (TEC) Firhill Stadium, there has been at least one visit from the officers of Police Scotland. Last night not one was to be seen. I wonder why.

Interestingly, En route to the ground, I passed a coach parked on the pavement near the bus stop adjacent to the ground. It was clearly on a double yellow line with its hazard lights flashing. On leaving the ground the same coach was still in exactly the same place and there were Followers of the FOD loading onto it. This coach passed me further down the Maryhill Road some few minutes later. At the same time, it passed two mounted officers of Police Scotland who had moments earlier ridden passed said illegally-parked vehicle without even a pause.

So to sum up; Does the feeling that I am a second-class citizen in my own home stadium fill me with the positive energy from a terrific Match Day Experience? Not in the slightest

Am I comfortable with the fact that I am taking myself into an environment where there is one application of the Law for me and quite different treatment for People whom I would not trust as far as I could throw? Not in the slightest.

So given the above perhaps Mr Maxwell will allow me a pass on Tuesday nights experience.

After all, one can only be exposed to such negativity for so long each calendar month before the civilised part of the brain begins to shrivel up.

• Like 3

I didn't particularly enjoy the atmosphere last night either. However, the North Stand is our stand. Our supporters picked it to have the singing section. You could have picked the Colin Weir stand to avoid an end view. I think the parked bus issue would be the same irrespective of where they play. It is nothing to do with PTFC.

I may be in the minority, but I don't mind being moved from JHS as I think the financial benefit outweighs the inconvenience(if it is that) - I don't need to walk up the hill.

• Like 1

Only slightly on topic, but I was struck by how many of their fans are happy to join in with the blatantly bigoted singing and chanting. I feel that you hear more in the media about Celtic's green brigade, but at least there it is a minority (and the club has spoken out against it). With 'Rangers' it appears to be pretty much everyone, and you rarely hear anything said about it.

I feel that you're being just a bit disingenuous MMCF.

As Lenzie Jag pointed out, the choice of going in the Northie is entirely Thistle fans'. I don't go there as I would always choose a side on view of the park. The fact that three goals were scored at the other end of the park is something which has been complained about by fans in the north end no matter who we are playing.

I've no idea why there were no stewards in front of the JHS at half time. Maybe they were busy in the concourse. Were the five stewards hassling Thistle fans?

Having the ugly twins fans at Firhill is part and parcel of being in the top division in Scottish football. Would you rather we were in the championship? It's not a comfortable fact but we have such a numerically poor home attendance (no matter who we are playing) that we need to maximise the income when we can just to compete at this level. We put their fans in the JHS so we can charge them more than any other fans who come to Firhill as the police won't let us have them in the main stand. Let's just accept that the cash that brings will go towards improving the squad year on year. (personally I would let them have all the spare capacity and keep all the Jags together in one stand.)

As for listening to the opposing fans bigotted songs. Yes it is unpleasant but from where I was sitting in the main stand for the two games, I really couldn't make out what they were singing apart from the tunes. I didn't even realise that rangers supporters had a communist leaning until I heard the red flag last night.

As for the lack of police presence in the local pubs when rangers or celtic are visiting. I guess that Police Scotland are just anti Thistle fans as a matter of course, but don't want to upset the away fans.

For me, the main contributer to the matchday experience is what happens on the pitch so I'll be there on Tuesday and will certainly feel I'm at home.

Edited by scotty
  • Like 1

Only slightly on topic, but I was struck by how many of their fans are happy to join in with the blatantly bigoted singing and chanting. I feel that you hear more in the media about Celtic's green brigade, but at least there it is a minority (and the club has spoken out against it). With 'Rangers' it appears to be pretty much everyone, and you rarely hear anything said about it.

Loads of Celtic fans were singing sectarian pish in the recent league game. Like being at A Wolfetones concert. Hard to be objective about numbers but certainly as loud last nights ditties from the Blue Cheek.

I want to watch us play at the highest level and unfortunately to do that we've got to bite the bullet on a number of things, none more so than being in the same league as those two despicable clubs. If relegation meant dropping to a league of 16 or 18 clubs, instead of even more repetitive tedium of a ten club league, then I doubt I'd be too depressed for too long if we dropped down a division.

I find it hard to argue with MMCF re his points about match day experience in reference to home games against the ugly sisters. I fall to the side that believes what we do is a price we have to pay but it ain't much fun. My gripe is that value of my season ticket is reduced and the Club don't appear to be redressing this but that's a different matter.

When we are in the top league we need to be pragmatic and accept our closest neighbours are 2 very big clubs with massive travelling support. Unfortunately our fans do not turn out like they should against the old firm and so for segregation and financial reasons they get the JHS. Thistle fans have the option of the North Stand or the previously described "Excellent Main Stand". Both adequate in my humble opinion and the extra £100k is vital for our small club with limited means.

For me you can choose to take offence and get on your high horse or you live your own life. I hear the tunes but I don't know the words. I was never brought up in that environment and it is not part of my background. In my opinion anyone who sings a song with acronyms in it is a ****** unless it is by Ian Brown or The Village People. I can never understand how some fans in our support get so worked up about it when it has always been like this and probably always will be against the Old Firm. Concentrate on your own values and keep some perspective.

Where stewards are based, what the police do and how coaches are managed in a busy matchday are of no concern to me. The police have great experience of managing the challenge of Rangers or Celtic and uphold the law with consent and some common sense. Sometimes you need to let it go for the greater good to manage the mentality of the crowd.

My matchday experience? Couple of pints and food on Woodlands Road away from the away fans. I love a Friday night game under the floodlights for atmosphere and frees up the weekend so I can spend it with my family and 2 sons who are under 2 years of age. Walk to the ground with no hassle. Waiting for my mate outside the ground with no hassle. Rangers fans about but no one was bothering me or causing me alarm. Minutes applause by both sets of fans for our oldest and (for many) dearest fans. Big crowd. Boisterous atmosphere. Rangers fans were loud UNTIL we went ahead and oh they were quiet only sparking back into life with Erskine sending off. I'd rather play Rangers than be back in the lower leagues with Cowdenbeath or similar having 50 fans in the top corner of the JHS.

No hassle after the game and home for good time. We are a good side. We are a well run club. Archie is a credit and professional manager. Job done. Bring them on Tuesday and bring on Hearts on Saturday. Enjoy this as it is the best team we have had for decades.

• Like 4

What does a bus have to do with a match day experience?

To be fair - the more worrying aspect about the recent visits of the ugly sisters (and the other home games) is the poor home attendance. You might put that down to a poor match day experience.

I don't. I can't explain it. For me - this is the best time I can recall being a thistle supporter. Am not sure why more people don't go. That includes the rangers and Celtic games - I thoroughly enjoyed them; even though I dislike the opposition.

I would've liked the JHS for the cup game but heyho.

Attended the Weir stand last night for 1st time in years which was fine.

The OF have always been scum but its great to see the old place rocking. The Northy fans did the team proud. Keep it up lads but could do with a few more of you.

I have some empathy with MMCF but maybe he just wasn't in a great mood. I would've thought nearly all fans of both teams enjoyed a good game and would be craving more on Tuesday.

I want to watch us play at the highest level and unfortunately to do that we've got to bite the bullet on a number of things, none more so than being in the same league as those two despicable clubs. If relegation meant dropping to a league of 16 or 18 clubs, instead of even more repetitive tedium of a ten club league, then I doubt I'd be too depressed for too long if we dropped down a division.

I find it hard to argue with MMCF re his points about match day experience in reference to home games against the ugly sisters. I fall to the side that believes what we do is a price we have to pay but it ain't much fun. My gripe is that value of my season ticket is reduced and the Club don't appear to be redressing this but that's a different matter.

It depends how you look at it.For me the value of the ST is that I get up to 5 games at Firhill free. The fact that I got to choose where to sit is a bonus.

Loads of Celtic fans were singing sectarian pish in the recent league game. Like being at A Wolfetones concert. Hard to be objective about numbers but certainly as loud last nights ditties from the Blue Cheek.

Not sure where you were, but viewing it from the main stand you can see how many are joining in. At Celtic I was disappointed at the numbers joining in, but when these songs were sung it was definitely a (albeit sizeable) minority, predominantly low in the north end of the stand, and clearly distinct from other songs where they were all joining in. I didn't see that distinction with 'Rangers'.

Not really defending Celtic, their stuff is pretty disgusting. But you grow up in Glasgow and you sadly get used to it and this stuff doesn't really shock you. But what struck me the other night is that a stand of what, 6000 people, can almost to a man (woman) enthusiastically stand a sing and chant and clap to sectarian and terrorist songs.

Really wish they hadn't been resurrected. Glasgow would be a better place without them.

• Like 2

6000 fans singing about killing people because of their religious beliefs.

Invade pitch for second game in a row.

Throw large missile at Thistle player.

At least 70 seats wrecked in the JHS.

Break into stadium and steal at least 3 supporters group flags.

Comment from Firhill: zero

Edited by potty trained
  • Like 1

6000 fans singing about killing people because of their religious beliefs.

Invade pitch for second game in a row.

Throw large missile at Thistle player.

At least 70 seats wrecked in the JHS.

Break into stadium and steal at least 3 supporters group flags.

Comment from Firhill: zero

Memo to Maxwell : invest in a long spoon when you sup with the devil.

• Like 2

On the basis that it was my post he quoted ?

Calm down - I read it that he was making a general point aimed at the club's approach towards our fans for games against the ugly sisters. Nothing personal against you at all, beyond suggesting that our fans shouldn't be malleably accepting of the club's apparent willingness to move heaven and earth to accommodate the puddle drinkers' pounds.