Playing Squad Update

BowenBoys

Ok..... the context here is we need an x y axis ... as there are 3 categories.,

1 players we wanted to stay and they wanted to stay

2 players we wanted to leave and they wanted to leave 

3 players we wanted to stay but they wanted to leave 

we will never exactly who was in each category plus there may be a financial aspect as well

we will all have views on certain players eg lawless , booth etc  but we needed a clear out and we have it 

the key now is who we bring in 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Fairly brutal but I suppose that is what had to happen.

It will certainly be an interesting summer as we need to bring in around 12-14 players so the rumours thread will be busy.

Onwards and upwards!

Not simply a matter of getting all those players in. We have to get them all playing the Partick Thistle way...

50 days to kick off.

35 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Does anyone have any idea what direction the Club is moving in because I haven't got a clue, glad we kept Cerny , Dools and Erskine for experience and who care about the club but all are over 30
Would have given the young players like Lamont and McLaughlin 1 year deals to see if they could be developed , does anyone else think the Academy is a total waste of money and resources ?
Either the scouting for the Academy needs a total overhaul because no players apart from Lindsay and McCarthy have came through in the last 5 years or the coaches aren't good enough and I include Archie and Scott Paterson in this
Got a feeling we're going to fill our team with journey man pros instead of developing our own players , hopefully I'm wrong.

you cant expect an academy to produce players of 1st team calibre right away. We have had 3/4 years of the new set up. Those guys coached all the way through it are probably 16/17 now. The guys that have been released are probably the last batch of the pre weir days.

I would expect to see more emphasis on youth in the squad next season.

Glad to see Banzo get 2 months to prove his fitness- could be crucial for us if he does stay fit

Does it make anyone wonder why we stuck with Archie when he’s released everyone he’s signed apart from Tam C and Spittall, Spittall scored a few at the start of the season but has been as bad as anyone on the   punt list. it doesn’t fill me with confidence to think he’s got to sign a whole new team from scratch who will have to scrap alot harder than what we did last year. people talking about re-signing Balatoni. Seriously?

Youth Academies are always placed on a pedestal but we have to be realistic on what they achieve.  

1 player a season would be amazing but even huge clubs struggle to get that.  When was the last time a young player dominated the Old Firm? Tierney but he is a real gem.

It has only been running for 4 years or so?  Players have yet to fully develop.

We are competing v a crowded market place.  Rangers, Celtic even St Mirren have bigger systems than us.  Our 2 biggest successes we picked up from Celtic (Hendry) and Dundee Utd(?) (Lindday).

12 minutes ago, jags on tour said:

Does it make anyone wonder why we stuck with Archie when he’s released everyone he’s signed apart from Tam C and Spittall, Spittall scored a few at the start of the season but has been as bad as anyone on the   punt list. it doesn’t fill me with confidence to think he’s got to sign a whole new team from scratch who will have to scrap alot harder than what we did last year. people talking about re-signing Balatoni. Seriously?

Don't think Archie has hinted at Balatoni or any of the 12-13 team coming back. That's been Internet talk. The only two whom I would consider are O'Donnell (forget it - ain't happening) and Craigen (why not?).

Spittal gets a bit of a hard rap in my view. Arrived in a team playing with confidence and played with confidence himself with tangible results in terms of goals and assists. As the season sleepwalked on, he floundered due to the lack of leadership and responsibility around him.. He was criminally at fault for Livi's goal at Firhill for example (not that it mattered in the end). He's 21, and there 's a player in there for sure. He's worth sticking with for another season provided he is willing to learn.

Edited by Barney Rubble
  • Like 2

As much as we need players, we also need a really strong captain on the pitch.  That was lacking last year, and was a major factor in our relegation.  Of the retained players, Elliott stands out to me as the obvious candidate, but a new central defender capable of doing the captain's job would be a real bonus. 

I hope ArchieMk2 is going to get some help in identifying and signing players.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, eljaggo said:

As much as we need players, we also need a really strong captain on the pitch.  That was lacking last year, and was a major factor in our relegation.  Of the retained players, Elliott stands out to me as the obvious candidate, but a new central defender capable of doing the captain's job would be a real bonus. 

I hope ArchieMk2 is going to get some help in identifying and signing players.

No, no, no.

Elliott's been moved all over the park to accommodate injuries, he was played hopelessly out of position for much of the last two months of the season. To the extent it was embarrassing.

The Captain must be someone who has a fixed position and a personality to boot. It's conveniently been forgotten by many that JaggyMac appointed Hugh Murray as his captain at the beginning of that 12-13 season.

Although he was way out of the picture by the time Jimmy Craigen scored THAT goal v Morton, Hugh Murray's captaincy laid the foundations of what Archie subsequently got over the line that season. That has been too much overshadowed by the JaggyMac fiasco.

Have a think about it folks.

My suggestion for the new Hugh Murray?

Don Cowie (if he is available).

• Like 1

Just say we had to play a game tomorrow and did not want to rely on the transfer listed players. Looks like we would have to go with the following (in 4-2-3-1 formation):

Jamie Sneddon

Christie Elliott     Tomas Cerny     Douglas Clark     James Penrice

Andrew McCarthy     Stuart Bannigan

Blair Spittal     Callum Wilson     Chris Erskine

Kris Doolan

Apart from the makeshift central defence of Tomas Cerny and Douglas Clark, that has the glimmer of a decent team. Good to watch and would play the Thistle Way.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

No, no, no.

Elliott's been moved all over the park to accommodate injuries, he was played hopelessly out of position for much of the last two months of the season. To the extent it was embarrassing.

The Captain must be someone who has a fixed position and a personality to boot. It's conveniently been forgotten by many that JaggyMac appointed Hugh Murray as his captain at the beginning of that 12-13 season.

Although he was way out of the picture by the time Jimmy Craigen scored THAT goal v Morton, Hugh Murray's captaincy laid the foundations of what Archie subsequently got over the line that season. That has been too much overshadowed by the JaggyMac fiasco.

Have a think about it folks.

My suggestion for the new Hugh Murray?

Don Cowie (if he is available).

It wasn't Elliott's fault that he was moved so much, that was Archie Mk1's decision. 

8 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Just say we had to play a game tomorrow and did not want to rely on the transfer listed players. Looks like we would have to go with the following (in 4-2-3-1 formation):

Jamie Sneddon

Kris Doolan

Apart from the makeshift central defence of Tomas Cerny and Douglas Clark, that has the glimmer of a decent team. Good to watch and would play the Thistle Way.

I never realised that Douglas Clark was so left footed that Cerny would have to play at right centreback. I'm really worried now.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Jamie Sneddon

Kris Doolan

The Thistle way being....................completely unpredictable.   Their failure to live up to that cost us relegation.

26 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I never realised that Douglas Clark was so left footed that Cerny would have to play at right centreback. I'm really worried now.

If Douglas Clark can tell me his preferred position, I can re-build the team round him. 

I do not know what sort of person he is, but could Douglas be that snarling, inspirational, win at all costs, take no prisoners , walk though  a brick wall for Thistle captain we are craving?

3 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

There are a handful in there who are known to have attitude problems, but Niall Keown is not part of that group.

Keown is an intelligent player and a real gent. His attitude would not have been a problem.