What to do with a problem like Caldwell?

dougie247

These are the options  

71 members have voted

1. 1. What to do with a problem like Caldwell?

• Give him the window and the rest of the season..
    • He has no clue and should be removed now..

I was onboard at the start happy to give him some time..

Now I've completely changed my mind..

He has no clue what he is doing..

So you know where my vote goes.

edit: I know we will have to pay him off as our joke of a board have most definitely not included a probation period in his contract.. I would say now its better to pay him off than continue this farce.

Edited by dougie247

If we had removed Archie in the summer we would have got better than Caldwell- we also wouldn’t have had Archies diabolical signings ironically one of the reasons why the board will say they can’t get rid of him is because Archie and Paterson are still being paid. Though it’s a rod for their own back the board have made

• Like 2

His record speaks for itself. W1 D2 L7, that’s 0.5 points per game. If Low’s defence of Caldwell is “its not his team” then that’s tacit acceptance that Archie’s squad is rubbish but Caldwell would never have been given the job if they though he would gain just 5 points in 10 games. They can’t have it both ways but they are trying to gloss over it, just like we’re still going for promotion when we’re 5 pts behind part time Alloa.

Caldwell has failed miserably to improve things and I fear the transfer window is now an irrelevance because he simply isn’t a manager. 

The next excuse will be it takes time to bed in the new players, but we don’t have the luxury of time. I fear we will be scrambling about for our third manager of the season come February to try and catch Alloa and Falkirk but it will be then too late.

28 minutes ago, AndyMac said:

Gary Caldwell is well on target to get 3 different clubs relegated in 3 years.

Whoever is responsible for giving him the job, should also be shown the door.

He is on target to have had a part in managing clubs during 6 different seasons, and 5 of them to end in relegation for the clubs concerned. That’s astounding.  As is the fact that our board thought he was the outstanding candidate. 

Edited by jaf

Wasn't sure when he was appointed, but hoped he would do a good job for us. No matter how often they say we are going for promotion, its not going to happen. We are now in a relegation battle, which on todays and other performances this season we have no chance of winning, with Caldwell in charge. Get rid of him. I do not think he will bring in any players who can turn this around. Chesterfield now read Partick Thistle.

Edited by Auld Jag

14 minutes ago, jaf said:

He is on target to have had a part in managing clubs during 6 different seasons, and 5 of them to end in relegation for the clubs concerned. That’s astounding.  As is the fact that our board thought he was the outstanding candidate. 

It's mind boggling.

one thing i find funny is that most of those who want caldwell gone after 2 months are the same ones that wanted to keep archie until we went into the lowland league....how times have changed or are they just pissed off their pal got bagged and can now vent at caldwell cause he ain't started too good? we gave archie almost 2 years to hang himself, we need to at least allow caldwell a transfer window. if after that it all goes wrong then so be it...no matter who is in charge of that shit they would struggle.

Not knowing either the politics or the details of Caldwell's contract leaves us with only guesswork.

My feelings tonight is sack him and appoint Shaggy Paterson as interim manager. Hopefully new January signings are already identified and independent of whoever is manager. 

It's difficult to come up with a worse scenario than the status quo.

I genuinely don’t think we’d be struggling as much as we are now if we retained Archibald. I think we’d be around about where we were when he was sacked. Pure conjecture of course,  However it seems clear to me that Caldwell is a massive step backwards. This is not to say we were wrong to get rid when we did- it was becoming clear that a change was needed. However the defence that the team is Archibald’s dross (while partly true of course) does not hide the fact that this team (as it is) should never be 5 points adrift of safety (and of a part time team).

Edited by Duke Gekantawa

22 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

one thing i find funny is that most of those who want caldwell gone after 2 months are the same ones that wanted to keep archie until we went into the lowland league....how times have changed or are they just pissed off their pal got bagged and can now vent at caldwell cause he ain't started too good? we gave archie almost 2 years to hang himself, we need to at least allow caldwell a transfer window. if after that it all goes wrong then so be it...no matter who is in charge of that shit they would struggle.

To be fair Pinhead a lot of the Archie fans wanted him removed at the end and yes this may have been past sell by date but he had accrued some credits along the way.  Archie sacked was the correct decision at the time however Caldwells appointment has been a nuclear disaster.  I love Thistle and always will so the sooner the club put hands up (and we all make mistakes) the better.

4 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

I genuinely don’t think we’d be struggling as much as we are now if we retained Archibald. I think we’d be around about where we were when he was sacked. Pure conjecture of course,  However it seems clear to me that Caldwell is a massive step backwards. This is not to say we were wrong to get rid when we did- it was becoming clear that a change was needed. However the defence that the team is Archibald’s dross (while partly true of course) does not hide the fact that this team (as it is) should never be 5 points adrift of safety (and of a part time team).

Were we not 8th when Archie left - so yes a bit better off but not massively.  

10 minutes ago, elevenone said:

To be fair Pinhead a lot of the Archie fans wanted him removed at the end and yes this may have been past sell by date but he had accrued some credits along the way.  Archie sacked was the correct decision at the time however Caldwells appointment has been a nuclear disaster.  I love Thistle and always will so the sooner the club put hands up (and we all make mistakes) the better.

Ran out of likes.

7 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Were we not 8th when Archie left - so yes a bit better off but not massively.  

So they were- I’d settle for that right now

I do think we’d have picked up more points since sacking if he’d been kept on. This is a extremely low bar though. We’ve made a mistake which we need to undo asap. Could we now persuade McCsll now he’s not replacing Archibald?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

We had to sack Archibald when we did if we were going for promotion. But the replacement who was brought in to get us promotion has now got us into relegation trouble. If we have given Caldwell a 2 year contract with no way that we can get rid of him without having to pay his contract in full, he must think he got very lucky. Considering his previous record of 2 relegations in his last 2 seasons. 

42 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

More fans where patient with Archie as he 1. Is a club legend 2. Got us promoted and kept us there for a number of years. I personally think he sacked a year late but as it stands I’d rather Archie than Caldwell 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

We had to sack Archibald when we did if we were going for promotion. But the replacement who was brought in to get us promotion has now got us into relegation trouble. If we have given Caldwell a 2 year contract with no way that we can get rid of him without having to pay his contract in full, he must think he got very lucky. Considering his previous record of 2 relegations in his last 2 seasons. 

AJ, would you be surprised if this present board have given Caldwell a 2 year deal. 

Archie’s squad was brutal.

Archie failed massively as manager over his last 18 months.

Archie deserved to go, it was the right decision.

GC inherited Archie’s failing squad.

GC has been trying to motivate that squad.

however...........

Archie beat Morton twice with that squad. 

GC has lost twice to Morton with that squad.

If Archie was rubbish then GC is worse, we got rid of a failing manager and didn’t make the right appointment. 

Edited by ClydebankJag
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Not knowing either the politics or the details of Caldwell's contract leaves us with only guesswork.

My feelings tonight is sack him and appoint Shaggy Paterson as interim manager. Hopefully new January signings are already identified and independent of whoever is manager. 

It's difficult to come up with a worse scenario than the status quo.

Paterson is not a bad shout in my mind.

1 minute ago, Big Col said:

Paterson has no managerial experience, and was part of a failed management team.

Whilst it is 100% correct to remove Caldwell, Paterson is not the answer.

Point I'm making is we have to get Caldwell out asap. Imo Paterson would be no worse than what we have at moment and knows the players. The only other interim managerial possibilities as I see it are Britton, Allison, Archie, Doolan & Erskine. If you can come up with somebody else that can fit the bill as an interim manager I'm willing to listen. Otherwise it's either kneejerk time or soldiering on as we are. We have to get the next permanent appointment spot on.