New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

3 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

What possible reason, commercial or otherwise, could explain why a group which wants to buy a football club would provide no information whatsoever about their plans?

'Hostile takeover' doesn't begin to explain anything.

Clearly, they don't give a toss about the fans and why should they? They have no interest in Thistle other than to make money.

But let's have a go at actual Thistle fans who have jumped in before this group have taken over the club.

Potentially as it may impact or affect shareholders at their other club

5 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Potentially as it may impact or affect shareholders at their other club

So companies always attempt takeovers of other companies in complete secrecy because it might impact on their shareholders?!

This is nonsense.

We're now at the point of making up justifications for a group of venture capitalists to excuse their behaviour.

39 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

The consortium (as yet) hasn’t given any contradicting information or given any vague answers. Due to its nature it’s business (as with any normal share purchase deal, takeover) behind closed doors, so as yet we can’t judge if it’s toxic or not

Utter utter rubbish ....the consortium have given no information at all ... I’m getting fed up with this idea being peddled around that every company that is bought is bought in secret so apparently no one knows anything till the deal is done ... this does happen but certainly not all the time and it’s certainly not mandatory ....if these guys wanted to tell us who they are, why they want to buy the club and what their plans are they can there is no legal or other impediment to them doing so .... so the question is why are they choosing not to tell us or engage with the fans so tell us

1. Who is buying the club and what is the legal entity 

2. What is their motivation to buy the club

3. How are the financing the acquisition 

4. What is their five year plan for the club 

pretty basic and you don’t know any of it and you criticise the fans group all the time 

The current board members who were in attendance at the last Q&A were positive about the prospect of the consortium and how they might improve the club. The chairman seems to be positive too.

I recall those board members stating that they've put money into the club in the past because they are fans.

Generally it seems that people are happy that Jacqui Low is out the door along with her disastrous choice of manager, and Beattie bringing in Ian McCall has been a good thing.

It seems though that some people feel the current board are now simply interested in making a quick buck and don't care at all about the future of Thistle. Why is that? Why are they suddenly untrustworthy?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

So companies always attempt takeovers of other companies in complete secrecy because it might impact on their shareholders?!

This is nonsense.

We're now at the point of making up justifications for a group of venture capitalists to excuse their behaviour.

Acquisitions are generally kept quiet until such time as either the stock exchange needs notified or the deal is basically completed. The company I work for is renowned for acquiring other companies so I know a little about it.

54 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Utter utter rubbish ....the consortium have given no information at all ... I’m getting fed up with this idea being peddled around that every company that is bought is bought in secret so apparently no one knows anything till the deal is done ... this does happen but certainly not all the time and it’s certainly not mandatory ....if these guys wanted to tell us who they are, why they want to buy the club and what their plans are they can there is no legal or other impediment to them doing so .... so the question is why are they choosing not to tell us or engage with the fans so tell us

1. Who is buying the club and what is the legal entity 

2. What is their motivation to buy the club

3. How are the financing the acquisition 

4. What is their five year plan for the club 

pretty basic and you don’t know any of it and you criticise the fans group all the time 

What is basic is this, they are not buying the company.

They are buying 9 shareholders stake in that company 

That stake combined is 51% 

If it was over 70% they would legally have to make an offer for the other 30%

Their deal is with the 9 shareholders and no one else.

TFE want us the fans to buy into their plan with our money

TFE deal would involve us as we would be parting with our money

TFE therefore have to be clear with the folk they want to deal with, us and the board

24 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

TFE therefore have to be clear with the folk they want to deal with, us and the board

Think the deal re the investment company only involves a batch of shareholders also , a lot of the shareholders having roughly 6 or 7% shareholding, what is not clear is whether the investment company want to buy the Propco shareholding as well but I suspect  that’s on the agenda as well because of the directors involved, so in terms of the 2 offers/ proposals the Investment Company is obviously more lucrative for Beattie and Co

Surely with a fans owned Club , there would be a greater degree of control with our destiny being in our own hands , got to agree with you it’s got to be done right .

Unfortunately the silence from the Investment Company means the supporters can’t really appraise their plans and myself included raise suspicions on what their motives really are .

Edited by jlsarmy

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

Who are the ‘they’ you refer to ? Why are they buying us ? What is there internal rate of return to make the deal work ? 

I pledged to TFE at the outset, then someone claiming to speak for them texted my mobile number. That was a breach of personal data, I had not given anyone permission to contact me that way.

Now the more I hear about their initiative, the more I begin to wonder if they have thought this through. They start with pledges, the level of which remains undisclosed, then Colin Weir appears from left of centre. Their communication, as a response to fellow fans, seems slow. It’s unclear what the role of the various people behind Paul Goodwin actually play.

For the record, I am not in favour of venture capitalists taking over Clubs either. So I remain sceptical about both bids.

8 hours ago, West of Scotland said:

It seems though that some people feel the current board are now simply interested in making a quick buck and don't care at all about the future of Thistle. Why is that? Why are they suddenly untrustworthy?

Some of the negativity towards Beattie has been driven by a succession of unsubstantiated rumours starting around about the same time as tfe was established  

As you don’t know who is all involved in tfe, you cannot make a judgement on the motivation for some of the ludicrous stuff put about   

Would be interesting for example to explore the source of the “selling firhill” storm in a teacup   And then there was the “scrambling around looking to sell in Dubai” story  whilst there has also been some dubious personal stuff out about by Beattie  

I would have thought the spirit of fair play was an important bedrock for building a broach church for fan ownership within your own support, because some might have sympathy for the (potentially) outgoing board  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

The website is not GDPR compliant, I have highlighted it on Thursday, Paul didn’t believe he needed it till they were a legal entity (1 week ago), which is incorrect, he has stated details are not held on his server but a third party secured server at a company that is GDPR compliant (by transferring the data to a 3rd party without prior consent he’s already breached it) and would look to sort it soon. 

This is basics in this day and age especially from someone who’s been involved in this before, but going with comments on P&B data protection was ignored at the Stirling set up

Giving the guy a bit of slack. GDPR was only introduced in May 2018. I can’t see anything to do with Stirling fans ownership after that. When did he make the bid for Stirling

5 minutes ago, jaf said:

Some of the negativity towards Beattie has been driven by a succession of unsubstantiated rumours starting around about the same time as tfe was established  

As you don’t know who is all involved in tfe, you cannot make a judgement on the motivation for some of the ludicrous stuff put about   

Would be interesting for example to explore the source of the “selling firhill” storm in a teacup   And then there was the “scrambling around looking to sell in Dubai” story  whilst there has also been some dubious personal stuff out about by Beattie  

I would have thought the spirit of fair play was an important bedrock for building a broach church for fan ownership within your own support, because some might have sympathy for the (potentially) outgoing board 

The only negativity I have seen towards Mr Beattie is about the lack of communication.

There is a list of those invokved in TFE on their facebook page. You seem to be implying that malicious rumours must be coming from others behind TFE who are not being identified.

This is the first time I've seen any of these stories. Where did the first appear?

I don't know why the current board need sympathy. If they can sell their share then that seems to have been their wish in the first place. The debate surely should be around what is the best model for our club going forward?

11 minutes ago, sandy said:

I pledged to TFE at the outset, then someone claiming to speak for them texted my mobile number. That was a breach of personal data, I had not given anyone permission to contact me that way.

Now the more I hear about their initiative, the more I begin to wonder if they have thought this through. They start with pledges, the level of which remains undisclosed, then Colin Weir appears from left of centre. Their communication, as a response to fellow fans, seems slow. It’s unclear what the role of the various people behind Paul Goodwin actually play.

For the record, I am not in favour of venture capitalists taking over Clubs either. So I remain sceptical about both bids.

Have you read the q and a ?

2 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Giving the guy a bit of slack. GDPR was only introduced in May 2018. I can’t see anything to do with Stirling fans ownership after that. When did he make the bid for Stirling

Correct. However there was a previous data protection act. 

10 hours ago, dl1971 said:

I think it's fair to say that they have given no information whatsoever. So being less transparent is somehow better. Not in my book. 

As has been pointed out several times, the consortium are not asking us for anything - data or money. It doesn’t mean they are better but it does mean tfe need to be more transparent  in their actions/intentions 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jaf said:

Eh ? The q and a tells you who TFE are ! 
can you relate any if the stuff yiu mentioned to TFE ?

the basic point here is that David Beattie refuses to tell us who he is selling to and why it’s good for the club.

the ownership of Barnsley has been well short of transformational .

1 minute ago, javeajag said:

Eh ? The q and a tells you who TFE are ! 
can you relate any if the stuff yiu mentioned to TFE ?

the basic point here is that David Beattie refuses to tell us who he is selling to and why it’s good for the club.

the ownership of Barnsley has been well short of transformational .

Look I want fan ownership too. But it surely needs to be a broad church and for me to be in a broad church the most important thing to me is the spirit of fair play  

• admin locked this topic