Jump to content

West Ender

What if they shut down the season?

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

I think financially we are really in the shit with this now. 

The folly of not getting the Clyde game on is going to come back to haunt us , surely lessons should have been learnt from last season, especially in a 27 game season 

If the season gets called and we sit 5th in the table , financially we are going to be in trouble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Football at our level was untenable in the circumstances.

SPL needs to continue for TV money which helps to finance the lower clubs.

Edit to add : Testing will be a huge financial overhead for Championship clubs. They won't be getting any more subsidies to help.

Just as well they got 500k each. For that money they could test their players by the hour

Edited by dl1971
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

The folly of not getting the Clyde game on is going to come back to haunt us , surely lessons should have been learnt from last season, especially in a 27 game season 

If the season gets called and we sit 5th in the table , financially we are going to be in trouble.

We would still have been 3 points behind Falkirk anyway. If they do call the leagues early again will be no play offs I assume. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have a problem with suspending the leagues, but it should apply to all of professional sport. That's the only fair way to do it. Football is not essential but the favouring of the so called elite teams is sickening 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

I don't have a problem with suspending the leagues, but it should apply to all of professional sport. That's the only fair way to do it. Football is not essential but the favouring of the so called elite teams is sickening 

Now we know why the Championship clubs got £500,000 each.  It'll cover their testing costs.   That means that the diddy leagues like ours were being eyed as sacrificial lambs some time ago.  No doubt full payment of the league end payments will be offered as payment in lieu for calling the season early  -  and voiding the leagues.  Remember that Doncaster wanted to call the leagues IF THEY HAD PLAYED 50% OF GAMES.   Well, we haven't  played 50% of  league games, so voiding the league is the only option available.

Even if this improve in three weeks, a training period will be needed.  I don't see why the leagues can't be extended into the summer.  I can't think of any League 1 or 2 player going to play international football.  Doncaster gets paid an eye watering  amount of money to run ALL of the leagues, so bloody well get on with it.

I think furlough payments can be claimed for the initial three week lay off?  If not, why not?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

We would still have been 3 points behind Falkirk anyway. If they do call the leagues early again will be no play offs I assume. 

Why assume that ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Why assume that ?

Based on last year. My normally optimistic nature is being stretched....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Based on last year. My normally optimistic nature is being stretched....

I would assume nothing and I'd rather be 4th, just incase they decide to resume the season with the playoffs. You never know what they might come up with to get whatever decision they want to have enough votes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Average points per game so far....

Falkirk 1.909

Cove 1.727

Montrose 1.636

Airdrie 1.6

Thistle 1.5. If we’d played and beaten Clyde we’d be on 1.636 the same as Montrose. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ClydebankJag said:

Average points per game so far....

Falkirk 1.909

Cove 1.727

Montrose 1.636

Airdrie 1.6

Thistle 1.5. If we’d played and beaten Clyde we’d be on 1.636 the same as Montrose. 

 

 

 

A big IF there. remember that we had no available strikers and were struggling to score goals with those we had. If we had played and lost, we would be on 1.36, behind East Fife 1.44.

Not playing that game was the right decision at the time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

A big IF there. remember that we had no available strikers and were struggling to score goals with those we had. If we had played and lost, we would be on 1.36, behind East Fife 1.44.

Not playing that game was the right decision at the time.

I never said it wasn’t the right decision. Just offering facts in response to those complaining above about the folly of us postponing.

 

Id personally be amazed if they called the league on average points with less than 40% of the season played. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Now we know why the Championship clubs got £500,000 each.  It'll cover their testing costs.   That means that the diddy leagues like ours were being eyed as sacrificial lambs some time ago.  No doubt full payment of the league end payments will be offered as payment in lieu for calling the season early  -  and voiding the leagues.  Remember that Doncaster wanted to call the leagues IF THEY HAD PLAYED 50% OF GAMES.   Well, we haven't  played 50% of  league games, so voiding the league is the only option available.

Even if this improve in three weeks, a training period will be needed.  I don't see why the leagues can't be extended into the summer.  I can't think of any League 1 or 2 player going to play international football.  Doncaster gets paid an eye watering  amount of money to run ALL of the leagues, so bloody well get on with it.

I think furlough payments can be claimed for the initial three week lay off?  If not, why not?

If we hadn’t messed up last season we would have got that £500k too and wouldn’t be stating we were hard done by.

The predicament we are in isn’t the league or government or SFA’s fault it’s ours and ours alone, 3 and a half seasons of crap and bad management have put us on the brink of collapse 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dl1971 said:

I don't have a problem with suspending the leagues, but it should apply to all of professional sport. That's the only fair way to do it. Football is not essential but the favouring of the so called elite teams is sickening 

Ran out of likes. Also add some of the so called elite teams have broke protocol/rules and think they should not be punished.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I make it a point never to disagree with a lady. Going way back to when this was all being discussed I could not get my head around why we had to start a season rather than finish one which had already started.

There was all sort of guff going around about player contracts and it would be fair to end a season with a different squad. 
Didn’t seem to matter for Scottish cup and the European competitions though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

If we hadn’t messed up last season we would have got that £500k too and wouldn’t be stating we were hard done by.

The predicament we are in isn’t the league or government or SFA’s fault it’s ours and ours alone, 3 and a half seasons of crap and bad management have put us on the brink of collapse 

We should never have got so bad that we were bottom of the league, but if the league had been completed we might not have been in that position. We have to take some blame but the SPFL board and the majority of other clubs are not blameless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Auld Jag said:

We should never have got so bad that we were bottom of the league, but if the league had been completed we might not have been in that position. We have to take some blame but the SPFL board and the majority of other clubs are not blameless.

The authorities aren't blameless,  but ultimately the shambolic way we have been run is totally our fault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

The authorities aren't blameless,  but ultimately the shambolic way we have been run is totally our fault.

Just keep on kicking the club when the circumstances are utterly outwith our control. Are you Donald Trump in disguise? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Just keep on kicking the club when the circumstances are utterly outwith our control. Are you Donald Trump in disguise? 

They were not out of our control at the end of last season. With the players we had, we should not have been bottom when the league was called

Edited by Dick Dastardly
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If reconstruction is pushed through if the season ends and it goes to 3 leagues of 16 we would still be in the bottom division because we are a pretty poor 5th

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

If we hadn’t messed up last season we would have got that £500k too and wouldn’t be stating we were hard done by.

The predicament we are in isn’t the league or government or SFA’s fault it’s ours and ours alone, 3 and a half seasons of crap and bad management have put us on the brink of collapse 

the recent seasons have been woeful, and yes, ultimately we are partly responsible for that, but I do not agree at all that the SPFL are blameless.  They shut down last season on a dodgy vote, blackmailed teams into playing this season on pain of relegation if they didn't take part, but when the first opportunity comes it's way, the SPFL washes it's hands of the lower leagues.  Wasn't Anderson's cash gift to all clubs originally intended for COVID testing? As I originally stated the lower leagues can play into the summer, so we must not allow  the SPFL to bully the lower leagues into shutting down, and make the SPFL take responsibility for the completion of all leagues - not just the Championship and Premier leagues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Just keep on kicking the club when the circumstances are utterly outwith our control. Are you Donald Trump in disguise? 

Bollocks. You just can't see the fact that we have been an utter shambles for the past 3 and half years. Been on a steep decline. It was within our control to stop it. But off the field shenanigans, poor appointments, poor player recruitment has put us where we are. So are we UTTERLY blameless? Have a look at the real story behind this shambles.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

They were not out of our control at the end of last season. With the players we had, we should not have been bottom when the league was called

How far back do you want to go? We are where we are and the issue is what has happened today and how we overcome it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×