Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
elevenone

Falkirk v Thistle Boxing Day

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

From those highlights, was the tug on Murray that Rudden got so upset at any less than the tug on Brownlie that the referee gave that ruled out Falkirk’s “goal” ?

Think it was less of a tug on Murray, he managed to get his shot away. The tug on Brownlee made him miskick and the Falkirk player got the ball because of it. But as i have said the one on Murray is a possible penalty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Muscat Jag said:

Don't recall thinking Murray was in the box when he was fouled. It was a clear tug so I'm sure the ref played advantage. Will have to check the highlights. 

It definitely looked like Murray was in the box when tugged

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, east end jag said:

Highlights from the Falkirk website

 

Thanks for sharing.

Rudden was unlucky with the one off the post.

Penrice and Murray should both do better with their efforts.

Stonewall penalty for Thistle with a foul given anywhere else on the park and the offending player being booked.

Don't know what Rudden said to the ref but it is some feat, being able to get sent off with what must be less than 5 words. I mean come on.

Thistle look better than any team in the league overall and certainly have a chance to still win it. I know it's only League 1 but that's where we're at.

McCall seems to be doing ok, especially considering the number of players we have out.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard that Chelsea have scored 14 goals from corners this season. How about us? 

Why does Cardle take every single corner, when every single one either doesn't get past the first defender, or is mis-hit into nowhere? Why doesn't the manager see this happen every time and do something about it? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Muscat Jag said:

Don't recall thinking Murray was in the box when he was fouled. It was a clear tug so I'm sure the ref played advantage. Will have to check the highlights. 

I have paused the video on a number of occasions and both players are in the box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

I have paused the video on a number of occasions and both players are in the box.

Just looked at it and don't agree. I think Murray had just gone out of the box when the contact was made. The contact was actually very slight but probably a foul. Whatever happened Rudden's reaction was ridiculous. Murray didn't make anything of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I heard that Chelsea have scored 14 goals from corners this season. How about us? 

Why does Cardle take every single corner, when every single one either doesn't get past the first defender, or is mis-hit into nowhere? Why doesn't the manager see this happen every time and do something about it? 

Thistle are in league 1 in Scotland. Chelsea are in the richest league in the world. I just can’t think how they are better at corners than us.

We have had the same problem with corners for years. It isn’t just a Cardle or McCall problem.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Thistle are in league 1 in Scotland. Chelsea are in the richest league in the world. I just can’t think how they are better at corners than us.

We have had the same problem with corners for years. It isn’t just a Cardle or McCall problem.

Chelsea are scoring a lot of goals from corners against defenders who also play in the richest league in the world.

I don't recall our corners being such a total non-event (or in some cases, worse) not so long ago: Liam Lindsay and Conrad Balatoni scored quite a few from corners, I think, but that also means that the crosses were better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, sandbank boy said:

Perhaps you didn’t appreciate the point I was trying to make.

Sad that you should resort to making rude personal comments. I’ve contacted Admin and asked how to de-register from the site.

Thanks for all the contributions from many of the fans over the years.

Au Revoir 

Sandbank Boy.

You shouldn't let a rude comment drive you off the forum. Block that member by using the "ignore" function. I've done it, a couple of times, and find the forum more enjoyable as a result.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CotterJag said:

Thanks for sharing.

Rudden was unlucky with the one off the post.

Penrice and Murray should both do better with their efforts.

Stonewall penalty for Thistle with a foul given anywhere else on the park and the offending player being booked.

Don't know what Rudden said to the ref but it is some feat, being able to get sent off with what must be less than 5 words. I mean come on.

Thistle look better than any team in the league overall and certainly have a chance to still win it. I know it's only League 1 but that's where we're at.

McCall seems to be doing ok, especially considering the number of players we have out.

 

I would genuinely like to know why you think McCall id "doing ok"

  • We are the second worst full time team in Scotland.
  • Overall, 27th out of 42 league clubs in Scotland
  • 5 part time teams are doing better than us (Arbroath, Alloa, Airdrie, Montrose, Cove)
  • We have won just 5 out of 14 games this season (and scored just  12 times in the process)
  • In a league where you say "Thistle look better than any team" we are currently 5th (if East Fife win their games in hand, 6th)
  • Our great hope is a striker who has not scored in 12 months and is now facing a suspension
  • We are as close to a relegation play-off as we are to the leaders
  • We have been knocked out of the League Cup before the knockouts for the first time since the group stage was introduced

I could go on, but please explain what is acceptable about any of the above

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Chelsea are scoring a lot of goals from corners against defenders who also play in the richest league in the world.

I don't recall our corners being such a total non-event (or in some cases, worse) not so long ago: Liam Lindsay and Conrad Balatoni scored quite a few from corners, I think, but that also means that the crosses were better. 

I guess the Chelsea players taking the corners are able to clear the 1st defender and are more accurate with their delivery, which are nothing to do with the ability of the defenders.

Lindsay and Balatoni have been away from Thistle for 5 or 6 years now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

You shouldn't let a rude comment drive you off the forum. Block that member by using the "ignore" function. I've done it, a couple of times, and find the forum more enjoyable as a result.

Was more a term of endearment. If you’re going to make a silly comment, you’ve got to expect a silly answer, but agree, no need to throw the toys out the pram.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, McCall Out said:

I would genuinely like to know why you think McCall id "doing ok"

  • We are the second worst full time team in Scotland.
  • Overall, 27th out of 42 league clubs in Scotland
  • 5 part time teams are doing better than us (Arbroath, Alloa, Airdrie, Montrose, Cove)
  • We have won just 5 out of 14 games this season (and scored just  12 times in the process)
  • In a league where you say "Thistle look better than any team" we are currently 5th (if East Fife win their games in hand, 6th)
  • Our great hope is a striker who has not scored in 12 months and is now facing a suspension
  • We are as close to a relegation play-off as we are to the leaders
  • We have been knocked out of the League Cup before the knockouts for the first time since the group stage was introduced

I could go on, but please explain what is acceptable about any of the above

It's not a question of what's acceptable in the grand scheme of things. If it was, we'd be back at whether it was acceptable that we were relegated in the first place. No point going back there.

Your views above are based on the raw data, so there's no argument with the data.

My views and comments are based upon what I've witnessed personally. I realise these views are subjective and are open to a difference of opinion.

The only time I'll care about statistics is when it means we can't win the league or play-off etc. As it stands, we can do either.

We've attempted to build a team to escape the division we are in. In the games I've seen, all home streams and away highlights, that's exactly what we have. There's no point busting the bank, as some others' do, and having a team fit for the top league.

Despite our struggles at the top of the field, we're only six points from first and at the very least, a stick on for the play-offs.

We've missed penalties, easy chances and hit the bar and post a few times. The teams we've played have hardly had a shot against us, never mind scored many goals.

We're not a million miles away from winning this league and I still think we might. Someone might then choose to re-write the above stats but it won't be me. I'll continue to believe what I see, regardless of the numbers.

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, CotterJag said:

It's not a question of what's acceptable in the grand scheme of things. If it was, we'd be back at whether it was acceptable that we were relegated in the first place. No point going back there.

Your views above are based on the raw data, so there's no argument with the data.

My views and comments are based upon what I've witnessed personally. I realise these views are subjective and are open to a difference of opinion.

The only time I'll care about statistics is when it means we can't win the league or play-off etc. As it stands, we can do either.

We've attempted to build a team to escape the division we are in. In the games I've seen, all home streams and away highlights, that's exactly what we have. There's no point busting the bank, as some others' do, and having a team fit for the top league.

Despite our struggles at the top of the field, we're only six points from first and at the very least, a stick on for the play-offs.

We've missed penalties, easy chances and hit the bar and post a few times. The teams we've played have hardly had a shot against us, never mind scored many goals.

We're not a million miles away from winning this league and I still think we might. Someone might then choose to re-write the above stats but it won't be me. I'll continue to believe what I see, regardless of the numbers.

 

I want what medication you are on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because of the points difference a draw suited Falkirk more than us. But perhaps strangely, and albeit I had set the bar quite low, I'm actually feeling a wee bit more positive after Saturday. 

Perhaps it's because we matched Falkirk once again and this time with 10 men. Plus when you go a man down you really want your tackling defensive midfielder and captain on the pitch. Also, prior to the red card, we were missing chances rather than simply not creating them, and that's an improvement of a kind. 

If we can cure our scoring woes in the near future, and not let the points difference slip meantime, then I reckon the points deficit is far from insurmountable. Falkirk don't look that good. Big "if" tho'.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, elevenone said:

Slightly away from the game but for anyone who bought the stream is it showing up on bank account as KFC?  Seems odd unless they sponsor Falkirk TV.

Kriklaf Football Club?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Muscat Jag said:

Just looked at it and don't agree. I think Murray had just gone out of the box when the contact was made. The contact was actually very slight but probably a foul. Whatever happened Rudden's reaction was ridiculous. Murray didn't make anything of it. 

We will have to agree to disagree on whether it was a pen or not. No disagreement re Rudden. Hardly played in nearly a year, gets his chance to shine and gets sent of for mouthing at the ref. When he does play he needs to start banging in the goals and winning Thistle points/games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CotterJag said:

It's not a question of what's acceptable in the grand scheme of things. If it was, we'd be back at whether it was acceptable that we were relegated in the first place. No point going back there.

Your views above are based on the raw data, so there's no argument with the data.

My views and comments are based upon what I've witnessed personally. I realise these views are subjective and are open to a difference of opinion.

The only time I'll care about statistics is when it means we can't win the league or play-off etc. As it stands, we can do either.

We've attempted to build a team to escape the division we are in. In the games I've seen, all home streams and away highlights, that's exactly what we have. There's no point busting the bank, as some others' do, and having a team fit for the top league.

Despite our struggles at the top of the field, we're only six points from first and at the very least, a stick on for the play-offs.

We've missed penalties, easy chances and hit the bar and post a few times. The teams we've played have hardly had a shot against us, never mind scored many goals.

We're not a million miles away from winning this league and I still think we might. Someone might then choose to re-write the above stats but it won't be me. I'll continue to believe what I see, regardless of the numbers.

Agree with everything above. The stats just now aren't great but the improvement made in the side is there.

In the last couple of seasons we've been defensively poor and non-existant in midfield to the point. We have addressed that weakness and now have one of the strongest defences in the league.

If McCall can address the attacking weaknesses we are very much capable fo winning this league.

McCall's greatest strength is arguably in his ability to find talent. So far his signings have been more positive than negative. My breakdown of the squad would be

Postives - Wright, Brownlie, McKenna, Foster, Docherty, Graham.

Need to do more -  Lyons, Murray, Spittal, Breen and Rudden

Negatives - Kouder-Aissa, Reilly

Of those he inherited or extended

Postive - Sneddon, Williamson, Sena

Need to do more - Penrice, Bannigan, Gordon and Cardle

Negative - O'Ware

When you break the squad down in it starts to show  most of McCall's new signings have been an improvement but he's probably been too loyal to guys like Bannigan, Cardle and O'Ware. Trying to keep some experienced pro's is perhaps more understandible when you consider only 8 players remain from the previous manager and half of those 8 are aged 23 or under.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CotterJag said:

It's not a question of what's acceptable in the grand scheme of things. If it was, we'd be back at whether it was acceptable that we were relegated in the first place. No point going back there.

Your views above are based on the raw data, so there's no argument with the data.

My views and comments are based upon what I've witnessed personally. I realise these views are subjective and are open to a difference of opinion.

The only time I'll care about statistics is when it means we can't win the league or play-off etc. As it stands, we can do either.

We've attempted to build a team to escape the division we are in. In the games I've seen, all home streams and away highlights, that's exactly what we have. There's no point busting the bank, as some others' do, and having a team fit for the top league.

Despite our struggles at the top of the field, we're only six points from first and at the very least, a stick on for the play-offs.

We've missed penalties, easy chances and hit the bar and post a few times. The teams we've played have hardly had a shot against us, never mind scored many goals.

We're not a million miles away from winning this league and I still think we might. Someone might then choose to re-write the above stats but it won't be me. I'll continue to believe what I see, regardless of the numbers.

 

Ian make sure you sign a decent striker in January and an attacking midfielder and we will forgive you and go with what you say lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Ian make sure you sign a decent striker in January and an attacking midfielder and we will forgive you and go with what you say lol

Well. Messi is free to talk to in January. Maybe Barca would let us have him early in exchange for Rudden.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, CotterJag said:

It's not a question of what's acceptable in the grand scheme of things. If it was, we'd be back at whether it was acceptable that we were relegated in the first place. No point going back there.

Your views above are based on the raw data, so there's no argument with the data.

My views and comments are based upon what I've witnessed personally. I realise these views are subjective and are open to a difference of opinion.

The only time I'll care about statistics is when it means we can't win the league or play-off etc. As it stands, we can do either.

We've attempted to build a team to escape the division we are in. In the games I've seen, all home streams and away highlights, that's exactly what we have. There's no point busting the bank, as some others' do, and having a team fit for the top league.

Despite our struggles at the top of the field, we're only six points from first and at the very least, a stick on for the play-offs.

We've missed penalties, easy chances and hit the bar and post a few times. The teams we've played have hardly had a shot against us, never mind scored many goals.

We're not a million miles away from winning this league and I still think we might. Someone might then choose to re-write the above stats but it won't be me. I'll continue to believe what I see, regardless of the numbers.

 

 

13 hours ago, laukat said:

Agree with everything above. The stats just now aren't great but the improvement made in the side is there.

In the last couple of seasons we've been defensively poor and non-existant in midfield to the point. We have addressed that weakness and now have one of the strongest defences in the league.

If McCall can address the attacking weaknesses we are very much capable fo winning this league.

McCall's greatest strength is arguably in his ability to find talent. So far his signings have been more positive than negative. My breakdown of the squad would be

Postives - Wright, Brownlie, McKenna, Foster, Docherty, Graham.

Need to do more -  Lyons, Murray, Spittal, Breen and Rudden

Negatives - Kouder-Aissa, Reilly

Of those he inherited or extended

Postive - Sneddon, Williamson, Sena

Need to do more - Penrice, Bannigan, Gordon and Cardle

Negative - O'Ware

When you break the squad down in it starts to show  most of McCall's new signings have been an improvement but he's probably been too loyal to guys like Bannigan, Cardle and O'Ware. Trying to keep some experienced pro's is perhaps more understandible when you consider only 8 players remain from the previous manager and half of those 8 are aged 23 or under.

 

Such acceptance of mediocrity is what will kill our club. We need to get out of this league this season. In case you haven't noticed, upwardly mobile Queens Park will be joining us next year and full-time QotS could well be coming down. Falkirk are hardly running away with the league, so suppose Airdrie or Montrose get promoted and Cove turn full time. We could potentially have 5 full time teams in League One next season. I know that is worst case scenario, but it is a possibility I don't want to risk.  We are currently 5th, so I am really struggling to understand the "stick on for the play-offs" comment. I've said before that McCall was the last ever manager of Airdrieonians and Clydebank, so failure to get promoted this year could well make it a hat-trick.

I think that laukat has been slightly generous in his assessment of some players (I am tempted to change my name to Rudden Out), but I do think that on paper we have a better squad than our league place. But lets turn it round and ask who from Montrose, Airdrie or Cove would you want in our squad ? Then ask why are these teams, with inferior players doing better than us ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2020 at 9:45 PM, CotterJag said:

Thistle look better than any team in the league overall and certainly have a chance to still win it. I know it's only League 1 but that's where we're at.

 

 

Take a bow.

What a perfect summarisation of the ignorance and delusion that is rife from those in control of the Club. 

The Jacqui Low effect.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, McCall Out said:

 

Such acceptance of mediocrity is what will kill our club. We need to get out of this league this season. In case you haven't noticed, upwardly mobile Queens Park will be joining us next year and full-time QotS could well be coming down. Falkirk are hardly running away with the league, so suppose Airdrie or Montrose get promoted and Cove turn full time. We could potentially have 5 full time teams in League One next season. I know that is worst case scenario, but it is a possibility I don't want to risk.  We are currently 5th, so I am really struggling to understand the "stick on for the play-offs" comment. I've said before that McCall was the last ever manager of Airdrieonians and Clydebank, so failure to get promoted this year could well make it a hat-trick.

I think that laukat has been slightly generous in his assessment of some players (I am tempted to change my name to Rudden Out), but I do think that on paper we have a better squad than our league place. But lets turn it round and ask who from Montrose, Airdrie or Cove would you want in our squad ? Then ask why are these teams, with inferior players doing better than us ?

Do you really think that if we don’t get promoted we are going out of business. I am sure everybody would be delighted to know how you would get us out of this league ? What manager would you employ, which players would you sign and how would you pay for ending the contracts of McCall & Co.

This is not an acceptance of mediocrity, more an acceptance of reality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×