January Transfer Window

javeajag

6 minutes ago, sandy said:

Hastie is an example of why I don’t like us relying on OF loans. He wasn’t committed to us, we didn’t owe him anything. No identity with Thistle, no possible loyalty to the Club.

He'll most likely be remembered as a paid up member of the "Stevie Lennon/Darren Cole" club. Think tho' the Billy Big Boots attitude isn't as prevalent with OF loanees these days. Hastie just looked to me more confidence shattered than anything else. I'm more of a mind to think of him akin to Miles Storey. A player who could do nothing wrong for half a season then bugger all right thereafter. 

57 minutes ago, sandy said:

Hastie is an example of why I don’t like us relying on OF loans. He wasn’t committed to us, we didn’t owe him anything. No identity with Thistle, no possible loyalty to the Club.

Exactly. However, McCall loves talking-up his OF connections (especially Sevco), and seems to have made a habit of signing crap loan players from them (Lewis Mayo and Kyle Hutton maybe being an exception). 

Give me a lower league players like Dools, Erskine, Chaplain, etc. any day over that!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Exactly. However, McCall loves talking-up his OF connections (especially Sevco), and seems to have made a habit of signing crap loan players from them (Lewis Mayo and Kyle Hutton maybe being an exception). 

Give me a lower league players like Dools, Erskine, Chaplain, etc. any day over that!

Well. McCall is a wee blue nose.

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

I'm waiting to see how many more points Mayo costs us by giving away needless penalties.... at least three so far.

I hadn't realised that Aiden Fitzpatrick was now a QotS player having been released from his contract by Norwich.

He isn't doing much at Queens so surprised there has been no mention on this thread about trying to prise him away from Queens and back to Firhill. He seemed to be very popular with Jags supporters.

I only saw him play 2 or 3 times and have to say he did not impress me as matching the hype that surrounded him at the time. He is though still only 20/21. Is he worth bringing back to Firhill?  Perhaps he could be our right wing version of Tiffoney on the left.

Just a thought!

4 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

I hadn't realised that Aiden Fitzpatrick was now a QotS player having been released from his contract by Norwich.

He isn't doing much at Queens so surprised there has been no mention on this thread about trying to prise him away from Queens and back to Firhill. He seemed to be very popular with Jags supporters.

I only saw him play 2 or 3 times and have to say he did not impress me as matching the hype that surrounded him at the time. He is though still only 20/21. Is he worth bringing back to Firhill?  Perhaps he could be our right wing version of Tiffoney on the left.

Just a thought!

Almost certain Aiden is right footed. Not what we need, methinks. 

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Almost certain Aiden is right footed. Not what we need, methinks. 

I know from this thread that our manager is supposed to be looking for a left footed player to play on the right but he hasn't been very successful in finding one.

So why not go for another option - a right footed player who can play as an old fashioned  right winger who can take on the full back and cross a good ball into the 6 yard  box for Graham or Rudden (if he is with  us) to tap into the goal! Easy peasy!!

Having said that I don't recall Fitzpatrick doing much of the above.

So notwithstanding your assessment of what we need (as our needs can be easily changed),  I ask the question again   would it be worth the effort to bring him back to Firhill?

4 hours ago, exiledjag said:

I know from this thread that our manager is supposed to be looking for a left footed player to play on the right but he hasn't been very successful in finding one.

So why not go for another option - a right footed player who can play as an old fashioned  right winger who can take on the full back and cross a good ball into the 6 yard  box for Graham or Rudden (if he is with  us) to tap into the goal! Easy peasy!!

So notwithstanding your assessment of what we need (as our needs can be easily changed),  I ask the question again   would it be worth the effort to bring him back to Firhill?

Not if he has a contract with QoS that means we'd need to pay any kind of transfer fee.

Wonder why he failed at Norwich.... can't be a Billy-Big-Time attitude of the Lennon/ Cole type mentioned above!

By the way, having hated Lennon at Firhill, I saw a programme a couple of years ago about him playing  in Iceland. He seemed settled there and to be doing well. Also came across as a decent bloke. 

2 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Not if he has a contract with QoS that means we'd need to pay any kind of transfer fee.

Wonder why he failed at Norwich.... can't be a Billy-Big-Time attitude of the Lennon/ Cole type mentioned above!

By the way, having hated Lennon at Firhill, I saw a programme a couple of years ago about him playing  in Iceland. He seemed settled there and to be doing well. Also came across as a decent bloke. 

Failed at Norwich!

There has been some debate on  this thread with reference to Rudden about it being better for his development to  stay with us for another season. Some disagree with this idea while others advocate it.

To be honest I am not really sure either way. However when I heard that Fitzpatrick was going to Norwich I felt the timing was wrong and that he wasn't ready. He seemed to me to be a decent young man with a good attitude but he also seemed to be physically not ready to play in England. I also felt that at his age  about 17/18 ,he was a little immature.  In general while having the football potential I felt as a person he wasnt ready for the challenges he was going to face playing in a much faster and physically demanding environment. If ever there was a case of a player  needing to stay where he  was  and not just for a season but for 3 or 4 seasons it was in my view Fitzpatrick!

I think he failed at Norwich, if failed is the correct word, because the timing was all wrong.  In football terms Norwich wasn't and still isn't a stable or positive environment for any young player.

In closing Fitzpatrick's contract at Queens is a 1 year permanent deal, so for this season only. He has only played about 6 first team games so can't imagine any fee could be significant. Worth a shout?

2 hours ago, exiledjag said:

Failed at Norwich!

There has been some debate on  this thread with reference to Rudden about it being better for his development to  stay with us for another season. Some disagree with this idea while others advocate it.

To be honest I am not really sure either way. However when I heard that Fitzpatrick was going to Norwich I felt the timing was wrong and that he wasn't ready. He seemed to me to be a decent young man with a good attitude but he also seemed to be physically not ready to play in England. I also felt that at his age  about 17/18 ,he was a little immature.  In general while having the football potential I felt as a person he wasnt ready for the challenges he was going to face playing in a much faster and physically demanding environment. If ever there was a case of a player  needing to stay where he  was  and not just for a season but for 3 or 4 seasons it was in my view Fitzpatrick!

I think he failed at Norwich, if failed is the correct word, because the timing was all wrong.  In football terms Norwich wasn't and still isn't a stable or positive environment for any young player.

In closing Fitzpatrick's contract at Queens is a 1 year permanent deal, so for this season only. He has only played about 6 first team games so can't imagine any fee could be significant. Worth a shout?

For almost the same reasons as you, my opinion was that the move to Norwich was the right one for him.

He showed great potential, but lacked the physicality to play regularly for Thistle. What he needed was to be playing with the best players of his age group, which he was going to do at Norwich (He was never taken there as a first team player). From what I have seen, he never has developed that physicality and that is what has held him back and I doubt that staying on at Firhill would have helped that in the slightest.

Would I take him back ? Not now, but one to keep an eye on as he gets older.

10 hours ago, exiledjag said:

I'm not rating Fitzpatrick one way or the other as I've not much of clue re his current situation. I'm uncertain if he would be effective playing as an an orthodox right winger. His strength with us was his directness rather than reaching the bye-line to cross. 

I take you're point re finding a mirror player for Tiffoney. Left sided players are harder to come by. That's probably why Hastie for instance has been given more chances than most, and other lefties are in high demand. We may then not be successful in signing someone suitable. If that be the case McCall may prefer to move away from the 4-4-2 (4-2-3-1) to something narrower. The addition of Crawford makes that a bit more likely.

As I see it we're slightly hampered by not having attacking full backs. Better off defensively but given less options further forward. So with that in mind it might be imbalanced but I agree a decent quality out and out right winger wouldn't be a poor signing. Possibly a question of width or trying to accommodate two from Turner, Smith & Crawford. Given the size of the Firhill pitch I feel the former the better option, at least for home games. 

16 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I'm waiting to see how many more points Mayo costs us by giving away needless penalties.... at least three so far.

Bad mistake on Saturday I agree but you have to look at the bigger picture. He's played very well for many weeks, contributing to our record number of shut outs. He also scored the winner in one game. Overall an excellent signing, irrespective of his parent club.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

For almost the same reasons as you, my opinion was that the move to Norwich was the right one for him.

He showed great potential, but lacked the physicality to play regularly for Thistle. What he needed was to be playing with the best players of his age group, which he was going to do at Norwich (He was never taken there as a first team player). From what I have seen, he never has developed that physicality and that is what has held him back and I doubt that staying on at Firhill would have helped that in the slightest.

Would I take him back ? Not now, but one to keep an eye on as he gets older.

OK, good points! We just see things differently. I don't see why though, had he stayed with us, he wouldn't have developed physically.. 

8 hours ago, javeajag said:

Gordon off to QoS on loan 

On loan?

Strange one, unless it means QoS are paying some of his wages and so saving us a little bit of money.

It's not as if he's a youngster brimming with potential who just needs more game time. And I can't see an emergency situation arising where we'd need to recall him.

Hope he does well for them.

10 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

On loan?

Strange one, unless it means QoS are paying some of his wages and so saving us a little bit of money.

It's not as if he's a youngster brimming with potential who just needs more game time. And I can't see an emergency situation arising where we'd need to recall him.

Hope he does well for them.

Gordon is only contracted until the end of the season so it's fair to assume QoS will be paying a fair chunk of his wages. It might have been a different matter had he been contracted longer to us, and we'd loaned Shea out for development.

If he can inflict some damage on our promotion rivals then this is a good move for all.

Ive always believed that there’s a good player in there bursting to escape. IM maybe feels the same so if he sets the Palmerston heather on fire there may be a way back with us.